Sign in to follow this  
SpacemanSpiff

1-2 FPS on Altis and 60 fps on stratis.

Is your average framerate on Altis LESS THAN 5 FPS? Do you run a 32 or 64 bit OS?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Is your average framerate on Altis LESS THAN 5 FPS? Do you run a 32 or 64 bit OS?

• NO, average FPS >= 5 (32 bit OS)
    • NO, average FPS >= 5 (64 bit OS)
    • YES, average FPS < 5 (32 bit OS)
    • YES, average FPS < 5 (64 bit OS)

Fixed worked. Or atleast delayed the problem, i flew some kilometers and then sudden i got the graphic glitch and fps was locked @10 fps. :/ Worked like Stratis when i loaded up in the start

I'm also on 32bit with slow fps.

I'm awaiting a bug fix for this :D

After some investigation I have discovered that the following file is at fault

{Arma 3}\Addons\map_altis_data.pbo

Renaming this file's extention (e.g. map_altis_data.pbox) will allow you to run Altis without the issue as described. You will get errors but they are non-fatal. This file contains (among other things):

• Map Images (Terrain and thumb)
  • Other assorted images
  • Road data

You still get roads, but the AI probably wont follow them. I've already reported this information to the Feedback site.

Thanks a lot for this post / hint.

Hopefully we can expect a fix with the next development branch release now.

I got 64bit Windows 7 Pro... and the 1-fps problem.

but the map_altis_data.pbox fixed it for now.

Removing the .pbo worked with me.

I flew across the map in a chopper at 50m altitude. FPS was 45-60 except for some tiny stutters when entering towns. Performance was generally the same as on Stratis. Had medium graphic settings and 2,5km view distance.

But then I got greedy and increased VD to 7km which resulted in 0 fps again, even when looking at nothing but the sky. Lowering the setting back to 2,5 didn't even recover the frame rate for about next 20 seconds. (At least it did recover, unlike with the pbo enabled.)

So it feels like the removed .pbo isn't the sole reason for the issue because I should have much higher fps with 7km VD. Which I do on Stratis. Removing that particular pbo just lifted some of the load that suffocates the game but increasing VD reaches the same critical mass and results in the unnecessary low fps. Anything on Stratis just isn't enough to reach the same point of no return.

Edited by Greenfist

Does Battle Eye kick you if you go online with the fix ?

Edited by Zelphy

I Found this posted by someone on the steam community Rename the map_altis_data.pbo to map_altis_data.pbox in the add ons directory and you will be able to play for now until its fixed

(please note i've only tried this myself offline single player. I'm not risking going on a multiplayer battleeye server just in case it bans me for hacking.) He says it works I've not tried it myself because I mostly go online with my clan and don't want to risk getting kicked by battleeye.

PS does someone know if you can get kicked for this

This method does indeed work (it was already posted on the previous page).

As far as I know (so this is not a 100% guarantee), BattlEye doesn't care about "missing files" (changing the extension means it simply isn't loaded) so doing this should not get you kicked/banned.

After some investigation I have discovered that the following file is at fault

{Arma 3}\Addons\map_altis_data.pbo

Renaming this file's extention (e.g. map_altis_data.pbox) will allow you to run Altis without the issue as described. You will get errors but they are non-fatal. This file contains (among other things):

• Map Images (Terrain and thumb)
  • Other assorted images
  • Road data

You still get roads, but the AI probably wont follow them. I've already reported this information to the Feedback site.

Many thanks Tiger! Been flying over altis for 30 minutes now and haven´t had any issues so far.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Question, if I would start to make a mission without this pbo, would the mission be playable for everyone?

Latest patch (released 10 mins ago) solved it... Now the Altis is running nice and smooth on 32bit OS! Thanks Bis for fas and amazing work!

Great stuff! Thanks for the info. :)

Provided no one posts here that the fix didn't work for them, I'll close this thread as "solved" very soon.

Sorry mate but I was too fast at typing and slow at thinking and testing... I wrote it here right when I entered the first city and didn't get 1-2 fps as usualy. After 2 mins I got 1-2 fps SO I AM REALLY SOORY!. Stick with Tiger's option.

But something had to be changed because I could explore one whole city without any problems... It fixed the lod loading. But while driving in some big cities, FPS still drops to 1-2.

PS. Tiger's option really works... I get same FPS on Altis as on Stratis. Actually I can finaly explore the whole Altis! But only on a dirt roads because changing pbo to pbox removes all the roads and makes dirt roads only :p

Edited by Illusion_cz

Latest dev patch has fixed the lod loading and 0fps bug on my 32bit machines. Thanks BIS.

It went great for me with the last patch till I got on the north/east side and tried to land at a factory compound. It went back to 0 fps and the chopper model got all glitchy, after aborting I still had 0 fps.

Yep, this patch fixed it. Good job, BI!
It went great for me with the last patch till I got on the north/east side and tried to land at a factory compound. It went back to 0 fps and the chopper model got all glitchy, after aborting I still had 0 fps.

It fixed the lod loading. But while driving in some big cities, FPS still drops to 1-2 (at least for me) but Tiger's option really works... I get same FPS on Altis as on Stratis. Actually I can finaly explore the whole Altis! But only on a dirt roads because changing pbo to pbox removes all the roads and makes dirt roads only :p

My FPS never went back to 1-2 again, but I still didn't explore all of Altis. Maybe you should try increasing or decreasing the virtual memory (see dev changelog).

I was at the town Altira. First time I tried to land there I immediately got 0-1 fps even when aborting. Second try I was able to walk around, by the time I got to the church it went back to 0-1 fps and the lod issues came back and my character had a rubber neck again. So it is not completely fixed yet, but at least it is better then yesterday.

Btw can I play on MP with BattlEye on with edited pbo to pbox? I don't want to get global banned.

Btw can I play on MP with BattlEye on with edited pbo to pbox? I don't want to get global banned.

As stated before, BE shouldn't kick/ban you (certainly not global ban you) for a missing file.

Renaming a pbo to pbox just means the engine doesn't load it. It's not considered to be "edited" in any way.

AFAIK The worst that can happen is you getting kicked. I joined a server today with the pbox and didn't get kicked.

hi

this is my first post I can not insert the test I did so I do think after this post

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 ----------

hi

For my part I have no problem I made ​​my test to help you find the solution, I just take the test to modify the file actually quite map_altis_data.pbox error is the fps see below

http://mavriks.free.fr/photo/ARMA3/modifpbox.jpg (224 kB)

after submitting the file map_altis_data.pbo see the result

http://mavriks.free.fr/photo/ARMA3/sansmodif.jpg (183 kB)

so for me it makes no difference whether or rather a lot of error and one more fps without changing the file

Boitier Antec Nine Hundred-Carte Mère MSI Z87-G43- Ram 8GO Corsair Vengeance-Video MSI R7870 HAWK 2GB-Intel Core Haswell I5-4670K-Plextor SSD 128Go M5 Pro SATA III Only Boot x3 interne-x2 externe USB - Ecran ACER P223W 23p - Windows 8 Pro 64b

From HERE

Altis versus 32 bit OS

The default virtual memory limit has been increased to 1.2GB to make sure the game has enough memory to run Altis with proper performance. This limit can be changed with the -maxmem shortcut parameter, but note that virtual memory takes only 3/4 of this number.

Example (sets virtual memory limit to 1.2GB):

arma3.exe -maxmem=1600

Since processes on a 32bit OS are limited to 2GB of memory, the game might become unstable because of the increased limit. Try decreasing the limit if Altis is running fine but the game is crashing (possibly with an "Out of memory" error). We welcome your feedback to find the ideal sweet spot of this default value (for those running e.g. Vista or Win 7 32 bit - especially with 2GB RAM only).

The developer fix seems to be to throw more resources at it, in this case increasing the Virtual RAM. This may very well work for you. If it does not, then consider creating pagefiles on each HDD in your machine. Arma 2 used to stutter a lot for me until I created a second pagefile on a second disc. DON'T put a pagefile on any SSDs unless you want to replace them sooner than later ;)

Well, after the patch my fps is just the same. I took a look and my GPU memory usage is about 200, my RAM memory around 2,2 GB, and my CPU is around 70% globally (1,2 and 3 working more than 4). yesterday with the "fix" by tiger I got around 30-40 fps in the editor.