Sign in to follow this  
SpacemanSpiff

1-2 FPS on Altis and 60 fps on stratis.

Is your average framerate on Altis LESS THAN 5 FPS? Do you run a 32 or 64 bit OS?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Is your average framerate on Altis LESS THAN 5 FPS? Do you run a 32 or 64 bit OS?

• NO, average FPS >= 5 (32 bit OS)
    • NO, average FPS >= 5 (64 bit OS)
    • YES, average FPS < 5 (32 bit OS)
    • YES, average FPS < 5 (64 bit OS)

Well just tried to fly with 12K view distance and 500 object draw distance just to see how much the ground of is making the game freeze. In Stratis there's 0 freeze and everything goes smoothly. In Chernarus there's no freezing and same as Stratis. In Altis the game runs about the same fps as Stratis but then the screen freezes often so it's pretty bad. It has something to do with loading the ground. I can put some comparsion videos later. Something just isn't loaded right in Altis.

/This wasn't really about the less than 5 fps but might relate. I still voted no because it's running well.

Edited by St. Jimmy

it may solve the not loading issue? who knows no harm in trying lol

Yeah, anything is worth trying.

Btw. would the people who voted "YES + 64bit" mind speaking up? I hate to point fingers, but posts like this one seem to indicate that certain people are voting without actually reading the poll.

("[...] I do have a few issues with streaming [...] Not too much of a problem [...]" does not accurately describe this particular issue.)

Guys, unless you have 1 FPS and glitchy textures, please don't vote "yes". Optimization and occasional FPS drops/stutters have nothing to do with this issue.

all runs fine even on 12k/12k setting, but initial loading cripple things up, and at 12k/12k the engine is just loading stuff over and over again to flush in the and and start over loading thing into ram again.

on normal game settings12k view+4k objectdistance no probs.

sadly the game just don´t utilise more than 2.15gb ram, think that would help alot with stuttering/1-2fps on max settings if it would utilise 4gb ram. the angine easely fills up 3gb of video ram with easy either.

so only 1/2 fps for me if too many objects are rendered

To be fair, I play at about 20 FPS on Stratis (and for that matter Chernarus or Takistan in Arma 2) but then why does it lag so badly just in the editor or with map open on Altis? When I quit the game even after leaving Altis the game was still running even slower than usual for me, the screen was black for about a minute after exitting as opposed to usual.

on normal game settings12k view+4k objectdistance no probs.

Then you are not experiencing this specific issue and voted on the wrong option. (And you're definitely not alone.)

The question here is not whether you can achieve <5 FPS by increasing your settings to ridiculous values, but whether you are unable to achieve > 5 FPS at all.

Not that the poll matters much anymore - a little birdie told me that they've already narrowed it down to 32bit systems. ;)

A little birdie told me that they've already narrowed it down to 32bit systems. ;)

Awesome! thanks Maddog your vigilance has been appreciated anyway I'm sure :)

Awesome! thanks Maddog your vigilance has been appreciated anyway I'm sure :)

Yeah true, thanks a lot mate for your time and effort. Now let's hope it will be fix as soon as possible and hopefuly working without any trouble.

Good news (well...sorta) that they've narrowed it down to 32bit OS

Here's my post from the feedback tracker:

Same issue

- changing in-game video settings makes no (or very little) difference

- testing done with 500m view distance

- tried with -noLogs

- tried validating steam files

- tried shift numpad - (flush) after each change

- same test in editor (place one unit hit preview) on Stratis gets 60FPS

On Altis:

- if I start in the water far from land - 30FPS

- starting on a small island - 15FPS

- starting at main airfield - 2FPS

Character in 3rd person view gets graphical glitches (flashes) and other strangeness like stretched-neck syndrome

Also after this happens (drop to 2FPS) exiting back to the main menu does not help (still runs slooooow) I need to quit the game and re-launch.

Windows 7 32bit

i7 920

GTX 570

4GB RAM

Game on SSD drive

Now the big question for me is: do I start installing 64-bit windows immediately and go from slideshow to smoothness in few hours or do I bear to wait for a proper fix?

Now the big question for me is: do I start installing 64-bit windows immediately and go from slideshow to smoothness in few hours or do I bear to wait for a proper fix?

Well I am asking myself the same thing since yesterday. The devs are on it with max priority so I think I will wait at least till full release and then I will see. But installing 64bit OS and adding more ram would be good too.

lol I am at work eyeing a 64bit Windows 7 computer... I might 'borrow' it for a while if I can fit my video card inside

lol I am at work eyeing a 64bit Windows 7 computer... I might 'borrow' it for a while if I can fit my video card inside

LOL I would say definiteely yes, but that might get you in trouble at work, so maybe it's better to wait.

I just cnat change to 64 right now, so I'll wait. Anyway we have until the 12th to change back to stable branch and still play in stratis. after that, well be almost alone... unless someone creates a group to play in stratis hahaha

After some investigation I have discovered that the following file is at fault

{Arma 3}\Addons\map_altis_data.pbo

Renaming this file's extention (e.g. map_altis_data.pbox) will allow you to run Altis without the issue as described. You will get errors but they are non-fatal. This file contains (among other things):

• Map Images (Terrain and thumb)
  • Other assorted images
  • Road data

You still get roads, but the AI probably wont follow them. I've already reported this information to the Feedback site.

Edited by Tiger_Walts

^ i can confirm this does indeed work. Still get drops to 1FPS at times (if I teleport to a new spot I assume it's loading all the textures or something), but otherwise steady at 40-50FPS

Having been directed here by Illusion_cz (thx mate! I found some comfort here :)) I'll just repost and detail a bit my findings shared in an other Altis thread;

Vista Home Basic 32-bit

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor 3.2 GHz

4GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB

190GB free space on A3 installation HDD

running A3 at 1920x1080

problem - complete freeze, 0 to 1 FPS while trying to preview a mission on Altis. Editor works excellent, satmask textures loading instantly, map scroling and zooming in/out without problems. Loading times, decent (same as Stratis)

Sound stutters, 1 second of audio loads after some 20 seconds of complete halt, no detailed LODs displaying (character and environment models simplified to what seems one of the frthest LODs, textures all blurry, parts of models missing)

Disabling graphical options + lowering everything else to minimum + windowed mode does no change. 0 FPS

At the same time able to play on Stratis with most of the settings pretty much maxxed out with a decent and stable framerate of 30-40 FPS (with bloom, occlusion, blur, FSAA and all the fance new stuff).

Voted: YES (23 bit OS)

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Confirmed to be working! Enjoying some first impressions of Altis at 30FPS now ;))

Renaming this file's extention (e.g. map_altis_data.pbox) will allow you to run Altis without the issue as described. You will get errors but they are non-fatal. This file contains (among other things):

• Other assorted images
  • Road data

You still get roads, but the AI probably wont follow them. I've already reported this information to the Feedback site.

being a noob here how do i change the file extension?

• Other assorted images
  • Road data

I can confirm this aswell. Thanks a million for this post. :D

• Other assorted images
  • Road data

Confirmed, fixed it for me. But as said, some pictures (map preview, loading screen and etc.) will be missing. My FPS now is the same as in Stratis (with the same old 10 FPS near water problem).

good job tiger, now the devs have some good ground to go on

being a noob here how do i change the file extension?

Right click on file-rename-and change the extension