Sign in to follow this  
wiresnsnakes

Let rain influence the presence of dust

Hello.

I just experienced rain in Arma and recognized, that infantry and more so vehicles still produce dustclouds. Besides realism/aesthetics, I experienced that the influence of the visibility from dustclouds is quite big, at least for bigger wheeled vehicles.

Technical it shouldnt be too complicated to turn dust off for infantry and groundvehicles and maybe make the dust appear white for starting helicopters, right?

The presence of dust should be still away, if the rain stops for quite some time too, depending on the time/amount of the rain.

I think that would be a important aspect in regards of rain-feature.

BTW: Was there something planed to make rain visually (and maybe audiowise) affecting the ground, so: wet? I heard about, that the rain-feature would be improved and would really like that.

The "Rain" is still very much WIP, and in ArmA 2 it did produce drops on the terrain. I'm sure that will be re-added (hopefully for release?)

I highly doubt it will every affect the "dust" etc., but it used to affect the general color of the terrain as well...making it darker as if wet looking to a degree.

Along with the OPs observations, I'd like to add a couple of my own.

A WIP with the same problems from OFP, A1 and A2 - I was goofing around on Altis and found the rain is still falling inside some buildings and it also follows you around, it feels like the same 'piece' of rain is falling on you at all times.

This is particularly disorienting when driving in very low light, (early morning/late evening).

It may be only a minor consideration where the development of the game is concerned but it's always been an immersion breaker in this series of games and it looks as though the same problems that have plagued it's implementation since OFP have made their way into A3.