Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW BLEEDOUT: realistic bleeding system for Arma 3

20130915: THIS MOD IS NOW PART OF TPW MODS AND IS NO LONGER SEPARATELY MAINTAINED. PLEASE USE THE TPW MODS THREAD TO REPORT BUGS AND REQUEST FEATURES.

TL;DR - Injured (bleeding) units will continue to bleed and lose health/stamina/mobility until healed. SP only.

Download (always contains latest versions of all my mods): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS.zip

Readme:

TPW BLEEDOUT - Realistic bleeding system for Arma 3

Version: 1.05

Author: tpw

Date: 20130913

Requires: Community Base Addons A3

Description

-----------

This addon modifies the Arma 3 damage system (where higher damage = lower health). By default, when a unit is wounded, its damage remains constant unless healed by a medpack or medic. This tends to take the urgency out of you and your squadmates being wounded in battle, since there is no penalty for not attending to a wounded soldier.

TPW BLEEDOUT changes this by emulating bleeding from injuries. Unless treated, an injured unit will continue to bleed and thus lose health, stamina and mobility. The more injured a unit is, the quicker it will bleed out. Heavily injured units will become totally incapacitated and eventually lapse into unconcsciousness/death. TPW BLEEDOUT increases immersion by making combat wound management a necessity.

- Works for all units, editor placed or spawned.

- >50% damage (default) = AI unit will stay crouched and have limited speed.

- >70% damage (default) = AI unit will stay prone and have limited speed.

- >85% damage (default) = AI unit will writhe on ground incapacitated.

- Wounded units will continue to trail blood.

- Wounded units will be fatigued and increasingly short of breath.

- Medpack or medic healing will stop bleeding and prevent additional damage increase

Installation and configuration

------------------------------

Extract the @TPW_BLEEDOUT modfolder to your preferred mod location, and call it via command line or mod launcher. You'll need Community Base Addons A3 (CBA A3) for the addon to launch and function properly.

Copy @TPW_BLEEDOUT\userconfig\TPW_BLEEDOUT\TPW_BLEEDOUT.hpp to your userconfig\TPW_BLEEDOUT\TPW_BLEEDOUT.hpp. You may edit this file to taste:

tpw_bleedout_hint = 1; // Startup hint. 0 = no hint

tpw_bleedout_inc = 5; // Unit damage will be increased by this % every 10 sec.

tpw_bleedout_cthresh = 0.5; // Damage beyond which a unit will be forced into crouch

tpw_bleedout_pthresh = 0.7; // Damage beyond which a unit will be forced into prone

tpw_bleedout_ithresh = 0.85; // Damage beyond which a unit will writhe around incapacitated (1 = dead)

The script version is in @TPW_BLEEDOUT\scripts. Instructions for running it are in the header of the script. Please note that if you already have the addon version running, the script version will detect it and quit.

Issues

------

TPW BLEEDOUT continues my philosophy of making small simple mods that do one thing, with as little interference with other mods as I can manage. I'm aware of the numerous Arma medical and wounding mods, and as far as I can tell TPW BLEEDOUT should work with any of them that don't mess with the "isbleeding" command.

- TPW BLEEDOUT makes no changes to unit behaviour outside of damage/speed/posture and stamina.

- TPW BLEEDOUT utilises "isbleeding" and "setbleedingremaining". Whilst a unit "isbleeding", it will continue to accumulate damage. Any medic system which stops bleeding (as the default system does) will stop TPW BLEEDOUT from incrementing a unit's damage, as intended.

- "isbleeding" and "setbleedingremaining" are Arma 3 specific, so this mod won't work in Arma 2.

- You may notice some visual glitches owing to the use of the "acts_InjuredLookingRifle01" animation for incapacitated writhing. This animation is rotated 145 degrees from most other prone animations. I have tried to compensate for it, but YMMV.

- As always, I make no guarantees about MP functionality.

Feedback

--------

As always I welcome feedback. My mods only improve due to your input. However, input which consists of asking me why there is no dedicated server version, without offering help in this department, improves nothing, especially my temper.

For the record: I only play SP, have little interest in playing MP, little skill in coding MP, and no ability to test it. If you desperately want a fully functioning MP version of this or any of my other mods, and can't wait for me to make it happen, then you are welcome grab the code and knock yourself out.

For the sake of my sanity, when you're reporting bugs and issues can you please tell me:

- Arma3 version

- Version of my mod

- Script or addon version

- Running on SP, MP or dedi

Changelog

---------

20130913: v1.05

- Introduced "all in one" startup hint for all TPW mods, you'll get the one hint showing all active mods.

- Script versions will detect an already running addon and quit.

20130904: v1.04

- Configurable damage thresholds for crouch/prone/incapacitated

- Fixed bug which left incapacitated units writhing after being healed

20130828: v1.03

- Additional improvements to dead unit handling.

20130826: v1.02

- Improved cleanup of writhing animations from dead units.

20130826: v1.01

- Fixed config error which prevente startup hint displaying and damage incrementing properly

20130825: v1.00

- Initial release

Disclaimer

----------

I totally refuse to accept responsibility for anything that might happen to your game/computer/life as a result of using my mod. If you accept this, then feel free to use and modify this code, on the proviso that you post back changes and improvements so that everyone can benefit from them, and acknowledge the original author (tpw) in any derivative works.

My A3 mods:

TPW CIVS: Ambient civs and traffic

TPW FALL: Realistic infantry falling from height and bullet hits

TPW LOS: AI Line of sight system for enhanced CQB

TPW EBS: Engine based AI/player suppression

TPW HOUSELIGHTS: Automatic house lighting for Altis/Stratis

TPW BLEEDOUT: Realistic bleeding system

TPW FOG: Foggy breath for Altis/Stratis

Edited by tpw

All brilliant. This will be much more of an improvement than the default medical system in ARMA. Question, do first aid kits still heal you up to 75% or just stop the bleeding, I guess it still heals but I'm assuming, at >85% damage since you're incapitated, you're going to need someone else to treat you whether you have a FAK or not say a medic or someone else with a FAK i'm assuming. Anyways, great addons as always TPW.

All brilliant. This will be much more of an improvement than the default medical system in ARMA. Question, do first aid kits still heal you up to 75% or just stop the bleeding, I guess it still heals but I'm assuming, at >85% damage since you're incapitated, you're going to need someone else to treat you whether you have a FAK or not say a medic or someone else with a FAK i'm assuming. Anyways, great addons as always TPW.

Thanks Phantom. Medics and medpaks still heal as usual, but they most importantly stop bleeding, so the unit will not continue to lose health. Only AI are affected in terms of stance, incapacitation etc. The player unit will use the default engine effects for deteriorating health (including no running), on top of which I have added some fatigue for good measure so they will pant.

Thanks Phantom. Medics and medpaks still heal as usual
I'm guessing that you're assuming medics have Medikits and I think you're referring to First Aid Kits as medpacks. Just wanting to clarify.

I'm guessing that you're assuming medics have Medikits and I think you're referring to First Aid Kits as medpacks. Just wanting to clarify.

Terminology shmerminology :)

But yes, that's what I mean. If you/AI heal themselves or are healed by a medic, the bleeding will stop, and the health will stabilise.

So is there any way to get back to 0% damage again after being shot? The way I read it is that the bleeding can stop, but your health doesnt go up; it only stops going down.

enjoying this. look forward to the ways you might explore simulate the moral sapping experience of having wounded on the battefield.

So is there any way to get back to 0% damage again after being shot? The way I read it is that the bleeding can stop, but your health doesnt go up; it only stops going down.

That's not really the point of this mod. Medics will heal you to 0% damage. You can heal yourself to 25% damage. The point is, if you don't heal an injured unit, it will continue to bleed out and eventually end up incapacitated or dead. This mod should play well with any other mods which modify health in ways different than the default.

Thanks again tpw - look forward to checking this out later.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

AI seem very polite about bleeding out. maybe it'd be in the scope here to have AI make a few polite coughs to get one's attention and then ask for a bandage to stop the remaining blood from leaking out? Maybe even yell for medical assistance, not sure how far you are planning to take the effects of wounding into gameplay?

Now if you'll make a simple patrol script and incorporate all of your other awesome scripts into it for one amazing package, you would be my third favorite human. :-)

tpw is probably going to conquer the simulation aspects for ArmA 3

:supercool:

AI seem very polite about bleeding out. maybe it'd be in the scope here to have AI make a few polite coughs to get one's attention and then ask for a bandage to stop the remaining blood from leaking out? Maybe even yell for medical assistance, not sure how far you are planning to take the effects of wounding into gameplay?

It's certainly doable, I just need to trawl the configs for the relevant audio (which is a F%^&ing nightmare). The AI already do actually yell out stuff like "need a medic" and "fuck I'm hurt" periodically, but definitely too infrequently. Leave it with me...

Now if you'll make a simple patrol script and incorporate all of your other awesome scripts into it for one amazing package, you would be my third favorite human. :-)

Mate I can feel the love already :) I am actually going to consolidate the various mods into one juicy A3 SP realism package in the near future. Since the mods share a lot of code, this will cut down on code duplication and hopefully make things more efficient.

tpw is probably going to conquer the simulation aspects for ArmA 3

:supercool:

You're too kind. I just make small simple mods to address the game's AI shortcomings as I see them. I'm glad you and others find them useful.

TPW all your mods are must have for me now. Can't wait for the single package. That will also make updates easier for the user. Your mods make the AI quite the joy to battle. As you can see in my startup parameters. -nologs -mod=@cba_a3;@TPW_EBS;@AV_Mods;@POMI_PMC;@TUP;@TPW_BLEEDOUT;@TPW_LOS;@WW_AICOVER;@TPW_FALL;@JSRS2.0Alpha;@sthud_a3

Is it possible to include a limp walk animation if a hurt unit tries to walk? It will be visually representing of being hurt than walking normally but slowly.

Also one more question. Is there a real need to use TPWCAS when using TPW_EBS?

Another great addition! Two questions / a suggestion:

1) MP friendly?

2) the bleeding out speed is linear? How about making it a curve? Meaning with low damage you bleed out slowly (possibly with very low damage like from a small fall even stops after while), and with more damage the speed increases? To account for big wounds needing immediate CAT or battledressing.

Hey tpw,

Just a quick heads-up: This add-on does not seem to be working in a dedicated server environment / in multiplayer. We loaded the addon for both, the server and clients, as well as server-exclusive/client-exclusive. Enemies either flinched after being hit or dropped dead, without bleeding. It does work in single player (obviously).

Thank you very much for all your contributions, man. Really appreciated!

Hi,

i have take a look on it and i have to say that this modification is scrap for every mp game. You destroy simply the hole damage handling with it for all units cause you don't mind any mp and locality impact of the different scripting comands in there.

An example: This mod isn't executing on dedicated servers. ok. So it is expect as client side only mod. And now every client start your loop which call to allUnits. So far so good.

Now a unit take damage and start to bleeding. It's unimportant if it's a player or an ai. Your script starts now to play some anims and take damage to the unit. And where is the mistake: damage are a global event, no matter if the execution starts local. So every player on a server start to give this unit damage parallel at the same time. Test your mod on a dedicated server with maybee 20 players and every unit will bleed out in a few seconds.

The other thing is: why you use cba even though not one cba function is used in there? And another negative aspect: you give the user a config where he can handle the impact of damage in percent. So everyone is bleeding in different speed? I can't think that this it is what you look ahead?

So please: fix it and start to build a modification that works with the right localtions. Damage handling is a part for the server if it should handle all units. If you wan't to handle it lokal so please late the damage only impact on the unit which executed it by herself.

regards

p.s.: sorry for bad english

p.p.s.: the mod is fine for sp gaming...

Edited by [TcB]-Psycho-

-Psycho-;2478712']

p.p.s.: the mod is fine for sp gaming...

And thats what its made for!! :rolleyes:

TPW all your mods are must have for me now. Can't wait for the single package. That will also make updates easier for the user. Your mods make the AI quite the joy to battle. As you can see in my startup parameters. -nologs -mod=@cba_a3;@TPW_EBS;@AV_Mods;@POMI_PMC;@TUP;@TPW_BLEEDOUT;@TPW_LOS;@WW_AICOVER;@TPW_FALL;@JSRS2.0Alpha;@sthud_a3

Is it possible to include a limp walk animation if a hurt unit tries to walk? It will be visually representing of being hurt than walking normally but slowly.

Also one more question. Is there a real need to use TPWCAS when using TPW_EBS?

A limping animation is sorely (!) needed, but is simply not present in the Arma assets.

TPW EBS or TWPCAS - pick one! Since TPWCAS for A3 is not 100% yet, and since it looks like you're playing SP, the TPW EBS is probably your best best

Another great addition! Two questions / a suggestion:

1) MP friendly?

2) the bleeding out speed is linear? How about making it a curve? Meaning with low damage you bleed out slowly (possibly with very low damage like from a small fall even stops after while), and with more damage the speed increases? To account for big wounds needing immediate CAT or battledressing.

1 - No

2 - Bleeding out is actually exponential. The % dmage increment is applied to the unit's current damage. So if a unit is 0.2 damage, then a 1% increment applies 0.002 damage. If a unit is 0.7 damaged, then the increment is 0.007. So damage actually accelerates, like compound interest.

Hey tpw,

Just a quick heads-up: This add-on does not seem to be working in a dedicated server environment / in multiplayer. We loaded the addon for both, the server and clients, as well as server-exclusive/client-exclusive. Enemies either flinched after being hit or dropped dead, without bleeding. It does work in single player (obviously).

Thank you very much for all your contributions, man. Really appreciated!

Thanks you for the heads up, which doesn't surprise me since like every other mod I make I can only vouch for its performance in SP. I don't play MP, have no interest in it, and therefore very little MP programming smarts or ability to test them.

-Psycho-;2478712']Hi' date='

i have take a look on it and i have to say that this modification is scrap for every mp game. You destroy simply the hole damage handling with it for all units cause you don't mind any mp and locality impact of the different scripting comands in there.

An example: This mod isn't executing on dedicated servers. ok. So it is expect as client side only mod. And now every client start your loop which call to allUnits. So far so good.

Now a unit take damage and start to bleeding. It's unimportant if it's a player or an ai. Your script starts now to play some anims and take damage to the unit. And where is the mistake: damage are a global event, no matter if the execution starts local. So every player on a server start to give this unit damage parallel at the same time. Test your mod on a dedicated server with maybee 20 players and every unit will bleed out in a few seconds.

The other thing is: why you use cba even though not one cba function is used in there? And another negative aspect: you give the user a config where he can handle the impact of damage in percent. So everyone is bleeding in different speed? I can't think that this it is what you look ahead?

So please: fix it and start to build a modification that works with the right localtions. Damage handling is a part for the server if it should handle all units. If you wan't to handle it lokal so please late the damage only impact on the unit which executed it by herself.

regards

p.s.: sorry for bad english

p.p.s.: the mod is fine for sp gaming...[/quote']

For the sake of clarity, I will post my above mentioned disclaimer again I don't play MP, have no interest in it, and therefore very little MP programming smarts or ability to test them. And with that said, let me address your points

I use CBA because its init eventhandlers make packaging mods straightforward.

You are the first person who ever complained that they could configure one of my mods. Everyone else wants more configuration.

The whole issue of locality, and sorting out which commands are affected by it, is a complete pain the the arse and one of the reasons I don't do MP programming (the other is overentitled MP players complaining about my SP mods). I could try wrapping some of the damage/stance/fatigue functions up in bis_fnc_mp but given my above disclaimer, I can't test them.

I will attempt to make an MP and dedi version of this mod, but make no promises.

I was using civilians as guinea pigs for this script but it appears that civilians aren't affected. I wounded one of my own BluFor teammates and he seemed to react to the script. Does this cover only soldiers or does it affect civilians? Keep up the great work!

I will attempt to make an MP and dedi version of this mod, but make no promises.

TPW I wouldn't bother unless you want to. Make the things that you want in the way that you want. If someone who plays multiplayer wants something similar let them make it them selves. You are right with the overentitlement statement and I can't help but feel giving them and inch does nothing but lead to them demanding, not asking for, more.

I was using civilians as guinea pigs for this script but it appears that civilians aren't affected. I wounded one of my own BluFor teammates and he seemed to react to the script. Does this cover only soldiers or does it affect civilians? Keep up the great work!

It should affect civilians because it's scanning allunits. I'm pretty sure I've seen them bleed out and die. The only reason it wouldn't affect them is if isbleeding is not working for civilians. I will investigate further. Thanks distractor2004.