Sign in to follow this  
cifordayzserver

SMD_Sara_A2 Full Sahrani Map Port - Initial Release

Thank you for the update and kudos to everyone involved!

/KC

Thank you for your work!

I'd like to ask if in the future some bigger buildings will also be enterable, like the many storied buildings in the bigger cities, or the unique buildings, like the big "palace" in paraiso, or the huge yellow barracks/ministry/whatever in Bagango?

Anyway you might know it but your map right now works flawlessly with Arma 3 also

I'd like to ask if in the future some bigger buildings will also be enterable, like the many storied buildings in the bigger cities, or the unique buildings, like the big "palace" in paraiso, or the huge yellow barracks/ministry/whatever in Bagango?

That's the plan. We want to eventually open every building

That's a big Hoooray then :)

I don't wish to give you any extra tasks, but I always felt that the Democratic Republic of Sahrani lacked one very pivotal asset: a concrete runway for one of her airbases. Is there any intention to make one of the SLA's two dirt strips into a paved runway?

Edited by Banderas

That's a big Hoooray then :)

I don't wish to give you any extra tasks, but I always felt that the Democratic Republic of Sahrani lacked one very pivotal asset: a concrete runway for one of her airbases. Is there any intention to make one of the SLA's two dirt strips into a paved runway?

We actually solicited the community at the beginning of the project for the answer to that question.

Most people wanted us to keep it the same.

Hello,

first of all, you did an awesome job with the map! I am using it with Epoch and I must say it's the best one, the hundreds of enterable buildings fit a lot with the base building features of Epoch.

In the upcoming 1.0.4 update, Dayz Epoch is going to include a couple of new maps (Napf and Sauerland) so the players won't have to download those map separately. This is a huge problem for us server admins because the average player is lazy and so my server isn't that populated right now.

BUT I'm pretty sure that if you like the idea, you can contact them and they will add your map into the mod. This would boost your map into one of the most used ones!

What do you think?

Hey. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up as to what's going on over here. Hopefully within the next week we'll get out a minor update.

Included in the update will be support for Alice. (Finally eran :) and fixes to some placement issues we found.

Next the destructible house (smd_dum_olez_istan) is getting a destructible roof as well. I'm almost done just need to texture it. I've also tweaked the armor levels so only explosives like a satchel charge or RPGs or larger tank rounds can blow apart the walls. (No more grenades taking walls down....oops)

Oh also (big thanks to w0lle!) we now have a pimped out version of the original sahrani intro video for the island when launched.

And a few more things but those are the major things.

Hey. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up as to what's going on over here. Hopefully within the next week we'll get out a minor update.

Included in the update will be support for Alice. (Finally eran :) and fixes to some placement issues we found.

Next the destructible house (smd_dum_olez_istan) is getting a destructible roof as well. I'm almost done just need to texture it. I've also tweaked the armor levels so only explosives like a satchel charge or RPGs or larger tank rounds can blow apart the walls. (No more grenades taking walls down....oops)

Oh also (big thanks to w0lle!) we now have a pimped out version of the original sahrani intro video for the island when launched.

And a few more things but those are the major things.

Yes! Finally! cheers can't wait, Will it work with Expantion Alice or normal Alice?

Yes! Finally! cheers can't wait, Will it work with Expantion Alice or normal Alice?

It's set up for normal Alice.

I'm working on getting all our units built into the package with all of the having hte ability to carry backpacks.

So far so good, thanks to some helpful guidance from Vilas. Should make for a nice package, we'll have the Icewindo's Civilians (with a variants that have dirty/bloody clothes), and the Vilas' units will be used to populate Pliskin's units (ATACS (Desert and Urban), Desert Ghillie (full and top half) US Black Ops, SMD RACS, SMD RACS Digi, SMD SLA).

5N6XpuFl.jpg

I also managed to get wolle's config for the misc. objects integrated into the terrain package so that they will all be selectable/droppable in the editor.

M1lkm8n is working on a few things, as well, so we hope to have an update ready for February or March.

Edited by CiforDayZServer

Does this port uses lower quality/resolution texture than the original? The buildings are looking a little whashed out on my end. The sand texture has changed also, the typical Sahrani grass is gone, and some bushes are replaced too. Sorry for the somewhat negative feedback, I can show you a comparison screenshots album, for whatever it may worth.

@seba1976: Are you comparing to A1? Caa1? our initial release? I'm not sure how/why you could think anything is lower resolution textures.

Feel free to post pics so we know exactly what you're talking about, but to answer simply, no, we certainly didn't use any lower quality textures. At every possible opportunity we have used A2 or better textures/assets to bring the quality of the map up.

We currently are looking at possibly re-texturing a lot of the assets in bulk, but it's a huge task, and we have not had many offers of help.

The grass blend is different, but again that was a choice due to lower quality/resolution of the older grasses.

Here is an issue I started and have provided some starter comparo's between A1/Caa1/SMD - https://github.com/SMDDevs/smd_sahrani_a2/issues/15

Feel free to comment/add to it as you please.

@eran100: M1lkm8n is also working on some improvements to the building with animated destruction, so we're shooting for an update within the next 2-4 weeks.

Edited by CiforDayZServer

@seba1976: Are you comparing to A1? Caa1? our initial release? I'm not sure how/why you could think anything is lower resolution textures.

Well I was surprised too, I thought you were doing a 1:1 port and opening up the buildings. I'm talking about Caa1 by the way. I'll let you know when I'll have the pictures uploaded somewhere, so you can check them out.

Here we go. Please download and watch at full screen.

Comparative with original Sahrani (Caa1)

Note: The picture at take 6 is only to show what I can only guess may be a lightning selection, different from the original island, and that's affecting all the other pictures as well. It lowers the general contrast and vibrancy of the colors.

Note: The picture at take 6 is only to show what I can only guess may be a lightning selection, different from the original island, and that's affecting all the other pictures as well. It lowers the general contrast and vibrancy of the colors.

It's more than likely the ground reflection. I'll have a go at the values and see. That aside personally I like our ground textures better. It's been noted on GitHub so it'll most likely make its way into the next update. I just need to finish the destructible house model (added roof destruction and tweaked armor values) and then well be able to wrap up the next update.

Are you totally sure you don't have your video settings configured differently?

In picture 6 as you mention the road sign is almost illegible the picture of our terrain, and perfect in Caa1, that is certainly not a problem I've ever noticed... it seems like you have your rendering resolution not at 100% when you launch our terrain?

I can see clearly the bush you're talking about being swapped, and I like the older/A1 one more as well, I think that's worth a swap for sure.

You certainly have globally different quality in our terrain, which is not something I've encountered ever. I have a feeling you have a video setting configured differently when you launch our terrain. By the look of the way trees blur in your pics it really makes me think that the rendering resolution is not at 100%

Here is essentially the same positions on the map in Caa1 and SMD on my machine, I have used a mission/scene that is 1 to 1 identical, same positions, same FOV, same weather etc.

SMD

http://i.imgur.com/oxEMwGh.jpg

Caa1

http://i.imgur.com/jO7Na0d.jpg

As you can see there is no difference at all between the quality of the sign. The buildings look a hair darker, and the ground texture/grass blend is also a bit darker, but I don't think anything looks lower res?

I'd look into your settings, because I agree that your screenshots look worse for our terrain, but I can't reproduce the condition on my end.

Also keep in mind that what we're looking at in almost all of these pictures is not the actual ground textures.

The ground textures we've used are twice the resolution of the originals. Although currently there are some issues with the nohq layers on a few of them.

Here is the grass:

http://puu.sh/6HTMw.jpg

Top is SMD bottom is Caa1/A1, they are both at 100pct zoom

Here is the forest floor:

http://puu.sh/6HTMw.jpg

Top is Caa1/A1 bottom is SMD

It's something M1lkm8n and I have gone back and forth on a lot and is still WIP. I think BI did an amazing job with the low res textures, and even doubling the quality we have a hell of a task trying to make it actually LOOK better.

Check your video settings and re-confirm, because the level of blur in your shots of our terrain are certainly not typical.

Regarding picture 6, I believe that's a question of LODs. You probably have yours setup in a way that, at the same distance, the engine picks up a lower quality one. It was only a coincidence that the issue showed up so clearly in that take, as I believe most of the problems are affected by something like that. I mean, if you didn't washed up the textures, and you didn't lower the complexity of the objects, then it must be LODs.

I've added take 10 to clear out the video settings considerations...

Again, I can't reproduce the condition, I am using identical missions and scene.sqs to take comparo shots in the same locations and I'm not having any texture issues. All signs/buildings/veg are identical for me, even in your pictures, the only object I noticed having a worse texture was that one road sign, and I can't reproduce it at all, I've taken shots at different distances too, to ensure it wasn't LOD issue... I also turned off the grass and took some comparo shots of JUST the ground textures, which as you can see are clearly higher resolution, they're just different so the final blend doesn't look the same.

Imgur Comparo Album

Clearly, the bushes you've shown are different, that's something we'll likely shift back to the original plant (we've substituted A2 plants for A1 one's in some cases) and regarding the desert, and grass clutter (seed state grass, yellow, and purple spring flowers) we are aware they're not in our build and they are in Caa1, we are/have been discussing it and will might address it in a future update.

If you could take it to the github for further discussion so as not to derail the thread I would appreciate it. This way you can give specific points for each photo and we can go over them.

Your input is appreciated and welcome.

https://github.com/SMDDevs/smd_sahrani_a2/issues/15

I have spent some time FINALLY moving all the units from Icewindo and Vilas and BI that our guys Pliskin and Yoshi retextured.

I got some guidance from Vilas on how to get backpacks added to models that didn't have them before, SO, all our citizens, pmc, black ops, RACS, and SLA, units all now show backpacks.

These will all be included with our next release:

I added backpacks to the coverall and the top only ghillie suits as well (we have custom desert textured ones)

SLA:

sGM5k8el.jpg

Ghillies:

http://i.imgur.com/uZurwrU.jpg (500 kB)

Blufor (RACS, RSPD, US Black Ops, and PMC's (Ghillie (3 Full - Desert, Grass, Light Grass / 2 Top Half - Desert, Light Grass) + Frost ATACS units (desert and urban)

http://i.imgur.com/ivE9ENt.jpg (479 kB)

SMD Sahrani Civilians (standard 7 Pants and 7 Shorts by Icewindo + Custom bloodied/dirtied units by Yoshi):

http://i.imgur.com/XDYoxeP.jpg (385 kB)

M1lkm8n has some updates to the destruction of the 1 story building, and some fixes for the ground textures. I haven't checked out a new build yet, so I'll update more about that end when I know more.

While I was on a hot streak with the civilians, I did all the A2 male civilians too. So, for the next release, not only will our of our Vilas unit, All the Icewindo Civilians, and the Ghillie suits show backpacks, but ALL the A2 Civilians too 139 units in all:

0pkj5pul.jpg

"smd_Ch2_Citizen",

"smd_Ch2_Doctor",

"smd_Ch2_Functionary",

"smd_Ch2_Pilot",

"smd_Ch2_Policeman",

"smd_Ch2_Priest",

"smd_Ch2_Profiteer",

"smd_Ch2_Rocker",

"smd_Ch2_Villiger",

"smd_Ch2_Woodlander",

"smd_Ch2_Worker",

"smd_Citizen1",

"smd_Citizen2",

"smd_Citizen3",

"smd_Citizen4",

"smd_RU_Citizen1",

"smd_RU_Citizen2",

"smd_RU_Citizen3",

"smd_RU_Citizen4",

"smd_Worker",

"smd_Worker1",

"smd_Worker2",

"smd_Worker3",

"smd_Worker4",

"smd_RU_Worker1",

"smd_RU_Worker2",

"smd_RU_Worker3",

"smd_RU_Worker4",

"smd_Profiteer",

"smd_Profiteer1",

"smd_Profiteer2",

"smd_Profiteer3",

"smd_Profiteer4",

"smd_Rocker",

"smd_Rocker1",

"smd_Rocker2",

"smd_Rocker3",

"smd_Rocker4",

"smd_RU_Rocker1",

"smd_RU_Rocker2",

"smd_RU_Rocker3",

"smd_RU_Rocker4",

"smd_Woodlander",

"smd_Woodlander1",

"smd_Woodlander2",

"smd_Woodlander3",

"smd_Woodlander4",

"smd_RU_Woodlander1",

"smd_RU_Woodlander2",

"smd_RU_Woodlander3",

"smd_RU_Woodlander4",

"smd_Functionary",

"smd_Functionary1",

"smd_Functionary2",

"smd_RU_Functionary1",

"smd_RU_Functionary2",

/*"smd_Villager",

"smd_Villager1",

"smd_Villager2",

"smd_Villager3",

"smd_Villager4",

"smd_RU_Villager1",

"smd_RU_Villager2",

"smd_RU_Villager3",

"smd_RU_Villager4",*/

"smd_Priest",

"smd_RU_Priest",

"smd_Doctor",

"smd_RU_Doctor",

"smd_SchoolTeacher",

"smd_RU_SchoolTeacher",

"smd_Assistant",

"smd_Pilot",

"smd_RU_Pilot",

"smd_Policeman",

"smd_RU_Policeman",

"smd_civ1_pants",

"smd_civ2_pants",

"smd_civ3_pants",

"smd_civ4_pants",

"smd_civ5_pants",

"smd_civ6_pants",

"smd_civ7_pants",

"smd_civ1_shorts",

"smd_civ2_shorts",

"smd_civ3_shorts",

"smd_civ4_shorts",

"smd_civ5_shorts",

"smd_civ6_shorts",

"smd_civ7_shorts",

"smdz_civ1_pants",

"smdz_civ2_pants",

"smdz_civ3_pants",

"smdz_civ4_pants",

"smdz_civ5_pants",

"smdz_civ6_pants",

"smdz_civ7_pants",

"smdz_civ1_shorts",

"smdz_civ2_shorts",

"smdz_civ3_shorts",

"smdz_civ4_shorts",

"smdz_civ5_shorts",

"smdz_civ6_shorts",

"smdz_civ7_shorts",

"smd_vilas_cop",

"smd_vilas_cop3",

"smd_vilas_swat",

"SMD_US_SpecOps",

"SMD_US_SpecOps_DIGI",

"SMD_US_SpecOps_MP_DIGI",

"SMD_ATACS_DES",

"SMD_ATACS_URBAN",

"SMD_Sniper_D",

"SMD_Sniper_D_Upper",

"SMD_Sniper_G",

"SMD_Sniper_G_Upper",

"SMD_Sniper_L",

"SMD_TIGER_CAMO",

"SMD_RACS_Soldier",

"SMD_RACS_Soldier_Digi",

"SMD_RACS_MP",

"SMD_RACS_MP_Tan",

"SMD_RACS_MP_Tan_Digi",

"SMD_RSPD_Sheriff",

"SMD_RSPD_SWAT",

"SMD_RSPD_SWAT_DIGI",

"SMD_RSPD_BLUE",

"SMD_RSPD_BLUE_DIGI",

"SMD_RSPD_BLACK",

"SMD_SLA_MP",

"SMD_SLA_MP_BLACK",

"SMD_SLA_MP_DESERT",

"SMD_SLA_MP_GREEN",

"SMD_SLA_MP_URBAN",

"SMD_SLA_SWAT",

"SMD_SLA_SWAT_BLACK",

"SMD_SLA_SWAT_DESERT",

"SMD_SLA_SWAT_GREEN",

"SMD_SLA_SWAT_URBAN"

M1lkm8n has finished up the improved destruction, and is working on the notes on the textures/grass/rock clutter.

I have also configured all the misc objects for the editor, and I've done a lot of work on some assets as well, both original, and BI Modded/Fixed. Mostly the RACS/Black Ops/ATACS vehicles but there are some little objects we use for our DayZ mod that some mission/mod makers/editors might find useful.

As usual we are doing everything to make sure that it packs easily for separate releases.

M1lkm8n and Bad Benson have really knocked it out of the park with their latest update to the animated destruction building: