kommander3x

Recommended Server Specs

I am about to start an Arma 3 server and would like to hear some opinions about what server i should choose.

Some people said CPU speed is way more important then the Kernels same with the Ram etc. 

Root-1

4x Intel i7-6700k 4 GHz

8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz

100 GB SSD

Root-2
6x Intel Xeon 3,7 GHz
16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
200 GB SSD DISK

They are about the same price, the one has faster hardware but less the other one around.
Let me know what u guys think.
Cheers  :P 

fastest cpu, each servers needs 2 cores,

I dont know which Xeon is in Root-2, you didnt say, but am assuming its a hex core, thats 2 servers plus a headless client or 1 server and 2 HC's at a minimum

If its the Xeon equivalent of that I7, then defintely go with the xeon. it also gives you more ram and a larger storage

Thank you for your help,

i already went with Root-2, cant say alot about the performance cause i didnt test it with more then 5 people but there it was ok.

What do you think is the max player number that this server could handel with for example altis life as a mod?

greetz

Thank you for your help,

i already went with Root-2, cant say alot about the performance cause i didnt test it with more then 5 people but there it was ok.

What do you think is the max player number that this server could handel with for example altis life as a mod?

greetz

No idea, I don't know anything about RPG servers, I run purely milsim

Hi,

We have 140 play and the average CPS/FPS of 15-20. 
Our Hardware is: 

i7 4790K 
64GB Ram 
32GB RamDisk 
1GB/s connection 

Is there a possibility to get better Hardware or do you know better hardware for the Arma 3 Server application. 

Best breeds 

For Arma you don't need a supercomputer for a dedicated server (if you want set up one server).

A old phenom X4, SSD, 8 Gb of RAM on a home connection do the Job you just need to do few setting on your ethernet and server config.

20 ppl on a liberation with 180 AI (+30 server FPS)

+30 ppl on a simple sector control without AI and useless script (+30 server FPS)

20-30ppl on a custom mission with few script (revive and dynamic view distance) + the new dynamic simulation all the AI placed in the editor no one are spawned and max 100 AI activated.... (288 AI group in the editor +30 server FPS).

I never reach more than 30 players so i can't tell how its running with 60 ppl ore more but i never use more than 50 % of my CPU and only 25% of my network.

I think the most important thing its the mission, KOTH for exemple its just a sector control with too much script (anti-hack, persistence, UI, Shop......)

So the hardware needed its not about the game itself but on the mission.....

Hi there!

I seem to have a question though, to which I couldn't for the life of me find an appropriate answer; hope you can help!

My group is coming together now to invest in a home server; one of our 'members' has glass fibre connection and no real issues in regards to electricity costs ;) Soo..

The main question I have and which nobody could answer me; what would be the best CPU for that Server?

Player numbers would regularly be between 10-32 players, with our own server however, we planned to perhaps, use it for events with other clans, depending on mission, maybe even "public" - with many more players then.
Missions would be rather common, proprietary MilSim(-Style) CoOp scenarios, sometimes adversarial.
Modsets would be either Vanilla; Vanilla + ACE; RHS + ACE and of course ACRE and ASR_AI; from time to time, depending on mission, also toadie2k's fabulous weapon packs!

That being said:
I was thinking about either an i7-7820X (@4,8Ghz) or an i7-8700K (@4,8Ghz).
RAM will be 32GB (4x8gb), GSkill 4266Mhz CL19; CPU will get decent AIO cooling regardless of choice (either 280 or 360mm Rad, Corsair).

Our goal would be to populate our server with a lot of AI to create an immersive, dynamic AO, without sacrificing much performance in the way, i.e. as few scripts as possible. Since we have strict rules on RoE, civilians and partisans are essential to many of our missions.
To achieve all of this, we want to wrap our heads around Headless Clients; and want our machine to be able to make use of as many as sensible.
I imagined, according to my "research", that the i7-8700K could easily manage 2 HCs, while the i7-7820X might easily run 4 HCs, while offering all the different instances better access to RAM; SK-X cash-mesh might even be beneficial here? Anyways.

What do you guys think?

TL;DR - Up to 32 player home server - money not  that  much of a concern:
i7-7820X or i7-8700K, both @4;8Ghz, decent cooling will be provided.

Best regards,
   ~ 

On 28/04/2018 at 9:40 PM, alessiomoreno said:

The main question I have and which nobody could answer me; what would be the best CPU for that Server?

The same answer as everyone else gets in this thread.

The fastest (most modern) cpu you can afford, the faster the better, the 8700 is the most recent

4.8Ghz I7  is plenty good enough

Its the upload speed that may hinder you for 32 players, you state he has fibre, if thats a typical home connection that will come with great download, however unless its an asynchronous line the upload will be poor

If this is the case, 200+ AI will have a noticeable draw on the performance of the server, having said that 32 player servers are right in the middle sweet spot for bang for buck performance