major_shepard

ArmA3Sync - launcher and addons synchronization software for ArmA 3

Major_Shepard

I was wondering if I may ask a few basic questions please? We have Arma3Sync running on a Debian VPS and we are just scraping through with our basic understanding of how to administer our repo!

1. In what folder are modsets meant to be stored in the debian filesystem? Do we execute chmod commands to change folder permissions?

2. Does ftp access have to be configured to access modset folder on repo?

3. We'd like to rebuild the repository because we changed port from default 80 to 8080. Is "new" command the correct way to recreate new "autoconfig URL"?

4. We have backed up and removed the .a3s folder and ran "new" command, however after "list" it mentions "Auto-config url: http://null" and "Repository main folder path: null". I don't recall it asking these questions?

Hope this is not too many questions to ask you!

Anfo

1. In what folder are modsets meant to be stored in the debian filesystem? Do we execute chmod commands to change folder permissions? Any folder with read and write access permissions.

2. Does ftp access have to be configured to access modset folder on repo? of course yes

3. We'd like to rebuild the repository because we changed port from default 80 to 8080. Is "new" command the correct way to recreate new "autoconfig URL"? Autoconfig url is generated once the BUILD command is performed

4. We have backed up and removed the .a3s folder and ran "new" command, however after "list" it mentions "Auto-config url: http://null" and "Repository main folder path: null"." You must run the BUILD command after NEW (as it is said into the console)

Once you are done with the BUILD command you can just use java -jar ArmA3Sync.jar -BUILD RepositoryName in a sh script to perform automatized rebuild of the repo (where sh script is at root of ArmA3Sync installation directory).

Edited by Major_Shepard

Once you are done with the BUILD command you can just use java -jar ArmA3Sync.jar -BUILD RepositoryName in a sh script to perform automatized rebuild of the repo (where sh script is at root of ArmA3Sync installation directory).

Thanks so far Major, I know how noobs like me must be a hazard to the communities health!

1. We have ProFTP on the server pointing to a "ftp" folder on the server. Under the ftp folder is, amongst other folder a new folder we created called "modset" and it has 777 file permissions which is the most? Even the owner of the modset directory is the ftp user. However we get "Failed to upload events informations. Please check out the server permissions". Clues?

2. Do you mind if I ask for the exact command syntax for the sh script? Does this look right? > ./Arma3Sync.sh java -jar Arma3Sync.jar -BUILD our_repo

Lastly, I hope I'm not extending past my boundaries if I offer some suggestions? Shoot me down if I get anything wrong!

1. The wiki seems more orientated towards helping those with a Windows server configuration rather than a Linux server;

2. You would do well to have a FAQ to prevent yourself from working so hard for people like me!

Thanks again for your help. :)

1. We have ProFTP on the server pointing to a "ftp" folder on the server. Under the ftp folder is, amongst other folder a new folder we created called "modset" and it has 777 file permissions which is the most? Even the owner of the modset directory is the ftp user. However we get "Failed to upload events informations. Please check out the server permissions". Clues? You must edit the config file of your FTP server and check users permissions

2. Do you mind if I ask for the exact command syntax for the sh script? Does this look right? > ./Arma3Sync.sh java -jar Arma3Sync.jar -BUILD our_repo

Yes it is

Lastly, I hope I'm not extending past my boundaries if I offer some suggestions? Shoot me down if I get anything wrong!

1. The wiki seems more orientated towards helping those with a Windows server configuration rather than a Linux server;

Nope, it is the same thing on Linux. You can perfectly run ArmA3Sync GUI on a Linux machine with a desktop. FileZilla and Apache server are both available for Linux. Internet if full of tutorials about those servers.

2. You would do well to have a FAQ to prevent yourself from working so hard for people like me!

Edited by Major_Shepard

Nope, it is the same thing on Linux. You can perfectly run ArmA3Sync GUI on a Linux machine with a desktop. FileZilla and Apache server are both available for Linux. Internet if full of tutorials about those servers.

I think there is an understanding that most people have a Linux GUI desktop on their server; unfortunately we are forced to solely use command line through a console. Case in point when we try to run the java sh script, we get "GUI is missing".

So we use what we have always used - ./ArmA3Sync-console.sh.

Log:

Please enter a command = DELETE

Delete repository.

Enter repository name: Name

Repository Name removed.

Please enter a command = new

Create a new repository

Enter repository protocole FTP or HTTP: http

Enter repository port (21 default FTP, 80 default HTTP): 8080

Enter user login (enter anonymous for public access): anonymous

Enter user password (leave blank if no password):

Enter repository url: http://213.xxx.xxx.xxx/home/ftp/mods/

Repository creation finished.

You can now run the BUILD command to construct the repository

Please enter a command = build

Build repository.

Enter root shared folder path: /home/ftp/mods/

Set maximum number of client connections (1-10):10

Add file path to exclude from build (leave blank to pass):

Add folder path to exclude extra local content when sync (leave blank to pass):

Build complete 100.0%

Repository build finished.

Please enter a command = list

Listing repositories

Number of repositories found: 1

Repository name: Name

Url: http://213.xxx.xxx.xxx/home/ftp/mods/

Port: 8080

Login: anonymous

Password: null

Auto-config url: http://null

Repository main folder path: null

Perhaps you can see something from this information entered that confirms why there are "null" values at the end?

Edited by anfo

The auto-config file is located at http://213.xxx.xxx.xxx/home/ftp/mods/.a3s/autoconfig (.a3s is a hidden folder on Unix based system)

I appear to be back to the reason I first contacted you. That URL and many like it that we attempt to place in the public auto config URL box returns "URL is not reachable" :confused:. Are you saying that the null value is normal because the .a3s folder is hidden? How is it that I can see the .a3s directory perfectly fine in the /home/ftp/mods directory?

May I ask at least whether I answered the questions correctly when I set up the repository?

Public url means no password + standard HTTP port 80. Unless you have access to the front router to redirect HTTP requests from port 80 to 8080, you can't use the autoconfig url. So you must provide the connection infos manually into the Repository edit panel of ArmA3Sync. As long as the .a3s folder is at root of the repository, it's all good.

Edited by Major_Shepard

Public url means no password + standard HTTP port 80. Unless you have access to the front router to redirect HTTP requests from port 80 to 8080, you can't use the autoconfig url. So you must provide the connection infos manually into the Repository edit panel of ArmA3Sync. As long as the .a3s folder is at root of the repository, it's all good.

or.... I could just use http://213.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/.a3s/autoconfig which now works

Edited by anfo

1. In what folder are modsets meant to be stored in the debian filesystem? Do we execute chmod commands to change folder permissions? Any folder with read and write access permissions.

Hmmm...:eh:

We have Debian Linux and our ftp access works where the root ftp folder is /home/ftp. Under that is home/ftp/mods/.a3s and it is only the .a3s folder where uploaded events are recognised by all Arma3Sync clients. Also we couldn't upload events from Arma3Sync clients to anywhere but the root of the ftp. The workaround is copy from the ftp root to .a3s and we're good to go despite the little extra effort.

Hi,

i am having trouble creating my repositories : i managed to create them using the upload fonction but i wanted to know if its possible to upload manually the files using filezilla for exemple than creating and uploading the ".a3s" after on the server ? If i try this method, armasync give me an error when connecting with the repository.

Thx

Latest build seems to have broken my Articulate app. Whenever your app is select on top, or if i use it to launch ARMA, the articulate app is not activated/used. But if i launch ARMA alone or using its launcher, works fine. i think this has to be from the latest build because it worked in the past... V 1.4 Update 1

The app is a Voice command app that runs in the background. Seems like your app breaks the app from running in the background. Any ideas?

Latest build seems to have broken my Articulate app. Whenever your app is select on top, or if i use it to launch ARMA, the articulate app is not activated/used. But if i launch ARMA alone or using its launcher, works fine. i think this has to be from the latest build because it worked in the past... V 1.4 Update 1

The app is a Voice command app that runs in the background. Seems like your app breaks the app from running in the background. Any ideas?

How do you run Articulate.exe?

Do you first run Articulate.exe then launch ArmA3Sync and then hit Start Game button?

Or do you run Articulate.exe with ArmA3Sync using External Apps panel?

What happens if you run ArmA 3 first, launch a mission/whatever and then run Articulate.exe?

Edited by Major_Shepard

What is the error message? Be sure to upload .a3s folder with Binary transfer mode.

Thx u fixed my problem :)

Hi Major_Shepard, thx for this awesome launcher, i can't launch arma3 without it :).

If i could request, it would be more easy for my event mod set if i could add mod not in my repository but in my Arma 3 folder too.

Cause at this time I need to tell my mate what mod they need to add for the preset cause i can't add them directly in my event preset...

With this it will be really perfect :).

Ty again.

Okay I will try to better explain :p.

Actually mods available in the event addons selections aren't the mods in my all Arma 3 folder but just in my repository (unlike the addons tab). All mods manually added or steamworkshoped (or simply not in my mod repository) are not shown...

Because of this i need to manually add them in the modsets I use on the Addons tab.

I would like to have the same possibility in the Event addons selection as the default (Availaible addons) in the Addon tab.

I hope i've explain better this time...If not I'll provide some screen to explain even better my little problem :).

Edited by NorX_Aengell

How do you run Articulate.exe?

Do you first run Articulate.exe then launch ArmA3Sync and then hit Start Game button?

Or do you run Articulate.exe with ArmA3Sync using External Apps panel?

What happens if you run ArmA 3 first, launch a mission/whatever and then run Articulate.exe?

Hey Major,

Thanks for reply. I ran some more tests and found that if i don't run Articlate as the Administrator "Run as administrator" then i run into this issue. As soon as i changed that it works as it should.

To further explain, no matter if it was running before or after Armasync was launched, it just stopped working unless the app was running on top. But before launching armasync, it did work in the background as well. I have recently upgraded to WIN 8.1 from WIN 7, so not sure if maybe this is where i am noticing a different since i last ran these two apps. Anyhow this workaround is no trouble at all so hope it helps others if they encounter this as well.

Thanks!

I´ve some issue with "hidden" folders. I cannot undone this? Even after "show extra local content" the folder is still hidden.

Win7 64bit, running as Admin - what i´m doing wrong?

Hello,

My friend created a repository and I can connect to it fine but when I try to download from it we get an error saying failed to retrieve .zsync file for url. It does that for every mod. If you want to see the full error let me know and I'll send you the PM.

What did we do wrong and how can we correct it?

Regards

EDIT: Going trough your tutorials it seems as if you have your server mounted as a drive. We only have access to our server but can't otherwise mount it and the repository main folder option does not allow us to manually enter locations so I figure that the modpacks on our server should shomehow be linked to the shared folder on the main drive. But how do we do that?

Edited by Denco

Hello,

My friend created a repository and I can connect to it fine but when I try to download from it we get an error saying failed to retrieve .zsync file for url. It does that for every mod. If you want to see the full error let me know and I'll send you the PM.

What did we do wrong and how can we correct it?

Regards

EDIT: Going trough your tutorials it seems as if you have your server mounted as a drive. We only have access to our server but can't otherwise mount it and the repository main folder option does not allow us to manually enter locations so I figure that the modpacks on our server should shomehow be linked to the shared folder on the main drive. But how do we do that?

I hardly understand your problem. Is it a Linux dedicated server? Can you browse the Web server files system? If you can share the repository folder from the Web server with a FTP access you can also build the repository on your PC and then upload it to the remote repository folder.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Just want to thanks to Michael W. for it's 30e donation on December 27TH (money which will be 100% use to pay for the server hosting the ArmA3Sync FTP updates and SVN shared sources).

Edited by Major_Shepard

My friend did something wrong but I think we got it fixed. Also sorry for my poor explanation.