major_shepard

ArmA3Sync - launcher and addons synchronization software for ArmA 3

As much as I love ArmA3Sync – I hate the fact that I have to build the repository locally and then upload it with the launcher.

I would much prefer to just upload the desired modfolders directly and then build/update the sync files based on what is on the server.

(It is especially annoying when you already have your mods on a server and you have to re-upload the lot of them just to make a repository)

Could you provide some information on the sync files and how they're composed?

Maybe then I could put together a script that generates the sync files based on what I have on the server. That would make things alot easier.

As much as I love ArmA3Sync – I hate the fact that I have to build the repository locally and then upload it with the launcher.

I would much prefer to just upload the desired modfolders directly and then build/update the sync files based on what is on the server.

(It is especially annoying when you already have your mods on a server and you have to re-upload the lot of them just to make a repository)

Could you provide some information on the sync files and how they're composed?

Maybe then I could put together a script that generates the sync files based on what I have on the server. That would make things alot easier.

When you use the upload process of ArmA3Sync it compares the local and the remote /.a3s/sync file generated after a build to determine the files to upload. So that only new/updated/deleted files are processed between the two repository.

Now you can also open a remote terminal and use ArmA3Sync in command lines to rebuild the repository remotely after adding the new addons into the remote repo.

Edited by Major_Shepard

Yeh I know, I'd just prefer doing it directly on the server.

Otherwise I'd have to make another copy of all the addons locally because uploading the files directly from my arma3 dir is not really an option. I would have to exclude a shitload of files one-by-one to do that.

(the ability to exclude whole folders, and to make multi-selections in that dialog would truly be awesome)

Oh and sadly, the "Repository main folder location" doesn't accept network-drives.

I guess remote terminal is probably the best solution for now – though not everyone has that alternative. :/

Don't get me wrong though, I really appreciate that we have this tool, it is immensely useful.

Edited by Tajin

I like to use the join server function. Using it to start the game and join a server is great - bypassing the crap steam browser.

But, I can't make the application remember servers. I add them in the online tab and it remembers the first one, but none after that. To be more accurate, the next time the PC is on and the application started, it's forgotten the server I added in the previous session.

I like to use the join server function. Using it to start the game and join a server is great - bypassing the crap steam browser.

But, I can't make the application remember servers. I add them in the online tab and it remembers the first one, but none after that. To be more accurate, the next time the PC is on and the application started, it's forgotten the server I added in the previous session.

Checkout write file access permissions on ArmA3Sync installation directory.

I've noticed a couple small issues with Arma3Sync:

1. If you deselect all Addon Groups and Start Game, it doesn't run an addon free Game. It seems to run whatever addons were used last time the game was ran.

2. If you make changes to your Addon Groups and close Arma3Sync without running Arma, all the changes made are lost.

1. If you deselect all Addon Groups and Start Game, it doesn't run an addon free Game. It seems to run whatever addons were used last time the game was ran.

2. If you make changes to your Addon Groups and close Arma3Sync without running Arma, all the changes made are lost.

Both issues are not the fact of Arma3Sync but the game as it save itself the last run mod list within the active game profile.

For point 1 you must select into ArmA3Sync a game profile different from "Default" to start with (see Launcher options Panel -> Profile).

For point 1 you must select into ArmA3Sync a game profile different from "Default" to start with (see Launcher options Panel -> Profile).

There is slight problem with that, if you have a profile with a dot in it then it will turn into %2e, spaces work though. So if you load in with a selected profile containing a dot it will create a new profile and therefore settings and everything will be on default.

I wonder if this is the same cause or related to what I described a few posts up.

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

Checkout write file access permissions on ArmA3Sync installation directory.

It is 'run as administrator'. That should be good enough?

It is 'run as administrator'. That should be good enough?

Nope sometimes Windows makes bullshit with permissions especially into program files folder. Go manually as Administrator and remove read only access on the all ArmA3Sync installation directory

Edited by Major_Shepard

Nope sometimes Windows makes bullshit with permissions especially into program files folder. Go manually as Administrator and remove read only access on the all ArmA3Sync installation directory

It was set to read only. I've changed it and will report back.

ArmA3Sync 1.4 Beta 1 now available

This version is for TESTS ONLY

Do NOT mirror the link

Do NOT publish on Armaholic and others sites

Download

ftp://62.210.177.238/ArmA3/ArmA3Sync/releases/arma3sync-installer-1-4-52.exe

Changelog

- Added: Parallel files download and synchronization for both FTP and HTTP/ZSYNC. To enable this feature, server admin must sets the number connections per clients from Build repository options. ftp://62.210.177.238/ArmA3/ArmA3Sync/development/screens/arma3sync_sets_clients_connections.png

Server admin may also checkout their server conf. Typically FileZilla server is sets as unlimited number of connections by default, Apache server is sets as 256 connections by default.

- Added: Download and synchronisation through command lines ftp://62.210.177.238/ArmA3/ArmA3Sync/development/screens/arma3sync_console_sync.png.

User can also use instruction: Java -jar ArmA3Sync.jar -SYNC "RepositoryName" "Destination Folder Path" within a custom script.

- Added: ACRE 2 installer wizard

- Added: Selectable Look and Feel

- Added: Malloc as Launch options parameters

- Changed: Files synchronization will now keep going and skip to next one if an error happens during download. ftp://62.210.177.238/ArmA3/ArmA3Sync/development/screens/arma3sync_donwload_finish_with_errors.png

- Fixed: Download keep waiting for a file even if server do not transfer data. Time out is set to 30s after witch ArmA3Sync will skip to next file.

- Fixed: Game profile with dots

- Fixed: Favorite Server with "-" character in the name.

- Fixed: Additional Parameters for <path> option

- Fixed: Repository status is set as UPDATED in the Repositories panel even if no file have changed since last build.

Edited by Major_Shepard

Looks awesome, thanks!

About when can we expect stable update? Also, can I run this while server ArmA3Sync is still on 1.3?

New parallel files download and sync, it basically adds the limitation of connections from one client? So you don't get one guy connecting tens of times?

Additional params for <path> option, this fixes the same folder names in different sub-folders problem?

/////////////////

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Looks awesome, thanks!

About when can we expect stable update?

2 weeks max

Also, can I run this while server ArmA3Sync is still on 1.3?

Yes

New parallel files download and sync, it basically adds the limitation of connections from one client? So you don't get one guy connecting tens of times?

By default pararallel sync is disable i.e 1 guy = 1 connection

Server admin must sets a number of connection > 1 from Build options to enable the feature.

Additional params for <path> option, this fixes the same folder names in different sub-folders problem?

Nope => http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162236-ArmA3Sync-launcher-and-addons-synchronization-software-for-ArmA-3&p=2815136&viewfull=1#post2815136

Thanks for the answers, I'll go do some tests then.

Just to confirm, setting parallel sync allows more connections, so if you are capping one connection, you can have 2 open and maximize the speed with it?

Yes. Now if you already max out your home internet connection, parallel synchronization won't help.

Hi Major,

Is there any way you could share the format that the sync and events files are stored in? I am trying to make a dynamic modpack tool, but cannot workout how to change them!

Thanks alot!

This is Java binary Serialized data + gzip compression. You can grab the source code of ArmA3Sync from here http://www.sonsofexiled.fr/wiki/index.php/ArmA3Sync_Wiki_English#Developers

I guess the easiest way for you is to build a local repository (i.e your mod pack) using ArmA3Sync in command lines to grap the /.a3s folder content. You can also use Java -jar ArmA3Sync.jar -BUILD "RepositoryName" in a script.

Edited by Major_Shepard

Wow that is a shame. If at any point you felt like adding a feature, a language independent data exchange format would be appreciated. I haven't taken a look at the code yet, but I am quite sure that there will be a drag and drop replacement if your current solution uses routine Java methods.

In the meantime, does the build script allow for the use of autoconfigs, events, servers etc or does it only allow you to update the mod content?

Thanks!

The build command generate the sync, serverInfo and autoconfig files which are related to the repository, not the events file.

There are performance reasons for using Java binary objects instead of XML which would end up with thousands of lines regarding a 10 GB addons repository.

Edited by Major_Shepard

Hey all,

After a giving up for awhile I've decided to take another crack at getting a A3Sync repository working again. I've followed up with some of my old posts where Major_Shepard was particularly helpful in outlining a step by step process.

I've encountered a problem however. When attempting to create the repository, after I input the URL of our FTP I get a failed to connect when trying to access the repository options. Is this normal during initial setup? I've tried multiple formats of the FTP URL but get a failed to connect every time.

I'm logging into the FTP using my admin credentials so I don't believe it should be a authentication problem. (Though in the future I would like to create a sub-user that just has viewing and downloading permissions)