major_shepard

ArmA3Sync - launcher and addons synchronization software for ArmA 3

EDIT 2: Performed even more testing and found a very very interesting thing, solved the issue with it. Server "description" under "Online" tab can NOT have a dash "-", as soon as I removed the dash it started working, didn't even need to restart ArmA3Sync. Added the dash again (in any place) it stopped working. Removed it, back to working.

It even works with [] for example.

ok thnaks.

The thing still missing is updating Online tab on every sync though, not just when auto-config is imported as that normally happens only first time and then you can't edit it anymore. Or am I missing something?

Online tab is indeed not updated on sync however there is a green Refresh button on the Repositories panel that do work.

ok thnaks.

Any other testing you need just let me know, I am always happy to help and report bugs to eventually make everyone's experience better.

Online tab is indeed not updated on sync however there is a green Refresh button on the Repositories panel that do work.

Sadly the green Refresh button doesn't work for me.

Another bug I just now found is when you delete one of the servers all other server's "Modset" option (in "Online" tab) get deleted. Not sure what could cause this though.

Hey guys. Really cool program and all that but I've got a big problem. Every time I click "Start Game", the program minimizes and the game does not launch. I've looked in task manager to see if the process starts and crashed but nothing comes up there. I tried restarting the application without any progress. Now I can't see what the problem might be. Could it be a problem with the lauchfolder of the game or wot? Please help as fast as possible! <3

Hey guys. Really cool program and all that but I've got a big problem. Every time I click "Start Game", the program minimizes and the game does not launch. I've looked in task manager to see if the process starts and crashed but nothing comes up there. I tried restarting the application without any progress. Now I can't see what the problem might be. Could it be a problem with the lauchfolder of the game or wot? Please help as fast as possible! <3

Checkout ArmA3.exe path from Launch Options Panel. Pretty sure it is wrong. See also Menu -> Preferences to change ArmA3Sync behaviour at game launch.

Ok, neither of these things worked. I really want this to be fixed cus im playing in a realism unit and I'm missing out

My @task_force_radio is removing itself from the Addons Group from time to time, this happens for several other people in my group. Any ideas?

It's not included in the repo as a folder, it comes as a .zip file that users can install.

There is your problem , if it's not included in repository it will get removed when syncing if you are using modset folder.

You can easily include TFAR in repository, just make sure radio-sounds and userconfig is inside @task_force_radio folder as well, that way ArmA3Sync can pick it up with the inbuilt installer easily and users also have easy access to it.

You can also easily update it the same way, ArmA3Sync will automatically notify you when you sync the repo if TFAR files have been changed and will ask you if you want to update the plugin. It's very handy, just gotta figure out how it works.

It's not when I sync. I even have an "opt" mod group with JSRS and Ares, and Ares keeps getting removed aswell.

Edited by cuel

Addon group content from Modsets (i.e auto generated addon group from repository) is automatically synchronised with the repository when you check for addons. So you should never add/change/remove manually addon from within the modset (there is no warning currently). If you want to use extra addons create a new group. For TFAR as Jonpas said you should put the addon into the repo with userconfig and plugins folders like this => http://www.sonsofexiled.fr/a3s-repository/@task_force_radio/

ArmA3Sync will then be able to automatically update TS3 and all the stuff on files change.

Thanks for that, I'll look into it. However, it's not an auto generated modset, any other ideas why t might be removing mods? They're still in the left menu.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

Regarding the userconfig, will it investigate all addon folders or just tfar?

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Oh wait that A3 loading it right?

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Hard to write on phone :)

How else do you make the modset through the repository though?

userconfig is put into @task_force_radio folder so ArmA3Sync's TFAR installer can pick it up and copy to the correct userconfig folder (for ease of installation), but I found it's best if you put it into both default userconfig folder and @ folder, that way even if installation was done before the userconfig is still there without need of reinstalling.

Not sure I understand your last question.

Yeah I wasn't clear on that sorry, I manually created the modset by right clicking in the "Addons" tab.

It does share the same name as the repo, and the other group has the same name with "-OPT" added on the end, could this be related (e.i using a matcher)?

I don't want to include the userconfig in the arma3 root since people could have their own configs with different mods and A3S would remove them?

Regarding the last thing, I thought BI added so that userconfigs are loaded from @ folders aswell.

Edited by cuel

It could connect, @Major_Shepard would probably know more about that.

In ArmA3Sync repository you can set the userconfig folder to 'hide other local data', which means it will never remove any other folders during sync. You can do that in the build options on the repository.

I haven't heard about that, I don't think they did.

the "Folders with excluded extra local content when sync" option?

Yep, when you are in 'Build' tab of repository, you press Options on the left of Build that you normally use to build the repository. In there you can specify those folders.

It does share the same name as the repo, and the other group has the same name with "-OPT" added on the end, could this be related (e.i using a matcher)?

That's why, the name must not be the same as a repo.

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

the "Folders with excluded extra local content when sync" option?

Exactly add the path to i.e c:\my_repo\userconfig then build the repo.

Hi Major_Shepard,

Here is an enhancement request for the TFAR auto updater:

- Allow the repository admin to define a custom TFAR plugin and profile folder path.

Reason for the request: Our group places the TFAR folder into a custom named folder. Internally it uses the same file structure as TFAR, but the top most folder is called @CLF_TFAR. So for the moment one has to manually choose the profile and plugin path every time the auto updater is used. In this case it is more convenient to use Windows Explorer, at least that's true for myself.

Once again, thank you for providing this wonderful tool!

The above request reminded me of one other bug I found. If you have more than 1 folder with the same name (in sub-folders obviously) it will always use the launch parameter of the one you used last time and selecting the one in a different folder won't impact on which one it uses. I believe that's also a reason why many groups simply rename all folders to have the group tag to differentiate and keep ArmA3Sync from running the user-installed one instead.

Just been trying to use Arma3Sync to download a repository and have encountered the same stops in the download process as previously reported by another user:

I've been trying to download part of a repository and anytime it starts downloading. It eventually stops downloading.

I should add that it only really happens when it's a bigger downloaded 1GB+

I can't see resolution to the issue in this thread, so I'll explain what I think is going wrong.

I was finding that any file larger than about 250Mb would cause the problem, but it's not the size that's the issue, it's the time taken to download. A file of that size was taking about five minutes to download from the repository.

A quick look at the network traffic to and from the server when a file is requested shows there are three parts: the initial request, a small piece of information about the file, and then the file contents itself. The problem is that the initial request does not complete until the file contents completes, and when a file takes a long time to transfer one or both parties lose interest in the initial request and it never completes. The file finishes downloading, but Arma3Sync is left indefinitely waiting for the initial request to complete.

Not sure if the miscommunication is caused by a server configuration issue, but Arma3Sync should really be able to handle the situation, even something as basic as timing out if no data is being transferred anymore and moving on to the next file, would help.

Just been trying to use Arma3Sync to download a repository and have encountered the same stops in the download process as previously reported by another user:

I can't see resolution to the issue in this thread, so I'll explain what I think is going wrong.

I was finding that any file larger than about 250Mb would cause the problem, but it's not the size that's the issue, it's the time taken to download. A file of that size was taking about five minutes to download from the repository.

A quick look at the network traffic to and from the server when a file is requested shows there are three parts: the initial request, a small piece of information about the file, and then the file contents itself. The problem is that the initial request does not complete until the file contents completes, and when a file takes a long time to transfer one or both parties lose interest in the initial request and it never completes. The file finishes downloading, but Arma3Sync is left indefinitely waiting for the initial request to complete.

Not sure if the miscommunication is caused by a server configuration issue, but Arma3Sync should really be able to handle the situation, even something as basic as timing out if no data is being transferred anymore and moving on to the next file, would help.

Are talking about FTP or HTTP? Could you try dowloading the file /MAPS/@AllInArmaTerrainPack/addons/structures.pbo (873MB) from my repo, here is the autoconfig http://www.sonsofexiled.fr/a3s-repository/.a3s/autoconfig

Sorry should have said, I was talking about FTP.

I don't think HTTP will have the same problem, because the file request is all in one connection. And testing on your repository seems to back this up (successfully downloaded large files).

So it's probably a FTP only issue, but adding a bit of robustness against networking errors is always a good thing.

So I have tried to setup a repository on my units server, with remote desktop, to do this I setup a FTP for a folder. Then use Arma3sync to make the repository on the server (arma3sync is installed on the server). So I followed the following.

1. Created folder in D:\Games\Folder
  2. Created a FTP (followed this guide http://www.codero.com/knowledge-base/questions/240/Installing+and+enabling+IIS+and+FTP+on+Windows+Server+2008+R2+) for the folder
  3. I add a new repository, and filled the information with the URL for the FTP; "ftp://123.4.567.89/Games/Folder", port; 21, and set the login/password to anonymous

When I connect to repository, I get the error:

Failed to connect to repository NAME on URL: ftp://123.4.567.89/Games/Folder mods wrong login or password.

However, I have set the login/password to anonymous, so is it something in the FTP setup that is messed up?

Just put the IP into the repository address, not full path. Anonymous account should have a home directory set to that already.