Sign in to follow this  
EvEnLeaSe44

3D NVGs / Binoculars? (like the new 3D scopes)

So, I come in here wondering...

Why not make the Night Vision Goggles, and Binoculars use the same 3D the new scopes use? Would improve immersion, and just overall look pretty bad ass!

I know I don't represent a big wall of text on why, or how... but the overall idea is in what I've already said.

Thoughts?

And how do you propose to blend a 3D model with two separate eyepieces into a single field of view?

How's that supposed to work?

You do not have any "peripheral" vision at all using a Binocular the way it is supposed to be used.

Btw there is no 3D on a 2D Screen, just an illusion of 3D that works only in motion.

And how do you propose to blend a 3D model with two separate eyepieces into a single field of view?

I didn't say I have the answers... but I know it would probably be possible. Maybe connect both eye pieces to make one single field of view? To allow a 3D model scope like view.

Here, I'm crappy at photoshop... And I couldn't get a good screenshot of the NVGs while down on a soldiers head. But you get the concept.

z643.th.jpg

Basically, like that... but made more pretty by BIS lol This idea COULD work, it is.. the FUTURE after all. Why have a double eye piece NVG and a binocular from the 1960s?

uhm...that's not how Binocular work...the lenses focus in a way that needs the eyes to be less than 20mm from the occulars. A progress in time does not chang tha basic laws of otitics or the way the light takes though a glass lense.

This is the same bollocks as that talkingabout having perfect peripheral vision with one eye behind a 6x magnification scope and the other one open.

This is the kind of Multifocus CCD Camera YouTube realism that sneaks in more and more into games..like lensflares and bloom (pure camera lens and CCD chip problems) Same as If you use the optics (LENSES) in a tank you dont se the tank interour anymore...that's a fact but still People want RTT Vehicle scopes.

Edited by Beagle

uhm...that's not how Binocular work...the lenses focus in a way that needs the eyes to be less than 20mm from the occulars. A progress in time does not chang tha basic laws of otitics or the way the light takes though a glass lense.

This is the same bollocks as that talkingabout having perfect peripheral vision with one eye behind a 6x magnification scope and the other one open.

This is the kind of Multifocus CCD Camera YouTube realism that sneaks in more and more into games..like lensflares and bloom (pure camera lens and CCD chip problems)

Hey, its just an idea. Might not work with binoculars... but it could easily work with Night Vision Goggles, since they don't usually have a magnification. I understand the critisism on the idea.

But, just tired of playing OFP(2001 - good game though) on a game that's called ArmA 3 that's coming out this year.

NVGs are of a fully different story but I would rathr opt for a overlay solution...DCS Blackshark had a good one where you can see the cockpit in the pripheral view in blue NVG friendly illumination.

but I guess DCS is light years ahead in terms of Simulation.

Edited by Beagle

Why have a double eye piece NVG and a binocular from the 1960s?

Easy: Because having binocular vision (I mean binocular vision in the literal sense of using both eyes, not simply using a pair of binoculars) is necessary for stereoscopic depth perception. It also improves acuity because your brain can reference both images and merge them into one single, improved image.

As for having the central part of the image in night vision while the outside is in normal daylight as in your PS mockup - that wont happen for the same reasons that BIS haven't added Red Orchestra-style 3D scopes.

Easy: Because having binocular vision (I mean binocular vision in the literal sense of using both eyes, not simply using a pair of binoculars) is necessary for stereoscopic depth perception. It also improves acuity because your brain can reference both images and merge them into one single, improved image.

As for having the central part of the image in night vision while the outside is in normal daylight as in your PS mockup - that wont happen for the same reasons that BIS haven't added Red Orchestra-style 3D scopes.

Well, even with the direct criticism about the idea being a bad one. I hope BIS can still do something to freshen up the NVGs and Binoculars, ether by the method I've shown or by something they have up their sleeve.

I still believe at least the NVGs could work, as its just a wide screen 3d scope. Like we have now, just not widescreen.

A couple of things that might improve light amplification goggles:

Focus and depth of field - basically, you're looking through a lense with a wide aperture(so it collects a lot of light). That means that the focus must be adjusted to near and far objects and that the depth of field, or the range in which objects remain in focus, is limited.

The light amplification works differently in different ambient lighting conditions. On a cloudy night, for example, the visibility is much lower. The light amplification may dynamically adjust in high and low light levels - this transition takes a short but significant amount of time. The lower the level of light the more visual noise, or grain, there is. The lesser the ambient light, the smaller the depth of field is.

Looking directly at light sources degrades the sensitivity of the sensor over time and may create a sort of trailing effect or after-image. It may persist for quite a while and in some cases may permanently damage the sensor.

Because NVGs use a luminous screen to display the image to the viewer they also have the effect of illuminating his eyes and face - which can be seen or picked up by other light amplification devices. This is compensated for, but not eliminated, by eyepieces - the interior of the eyepiece should reflect the luminous display. Though it is a black material, it is very close to the screen and also has some specularity.

At the moment the representation of the eyepiece interior is a sort of out of focus oval that's completely black. It should be two overlapping circles, like the binoculars, reflecting the display all around.

A couple of things that might improve light amplification goggles:

Focus and depth of field - basically, you're looking through a lense with a wide aperture(so it collects a lot of light). That means that the focus must be adjusted to near and far objects and that the depth of field, or the range in which objects remain in focus, is limited.

The light amplification works differently in different ambient lighting conditions. On a cloudy night, for example, the visibility is much lower. The light amplification may dynamically adjust in high and low light levels - this transition takes a short but significant amount of time. The lower the level of light the more visual noise, or grain, there is. The lesser the ambient light, the smaller the depth of field is.

True, but to the user, this isn't that noticable. In low-light conditions, the lack of visual acuity is more due to the graininess and basic lack of light. I understand from a physics point of view what you're saying, but in reality, things don't get "out of focus" in lower light conditions on goggles.

Looking directly at light sources degrades the sensitivity of the sensor over time and may create a sort of trailing effect or after-image. It may persist for quite a while and in some cases may permanently damage the sensor.

Not true anymore. Gen 3 goggles don't streak like a tube camera. They react very quickly and recover just fine.

At the moment the representation of the eyepiece interior is a sort of out of focus oval that's completely black. It should be two overlapping circles, like the binoculars, reflecting the display all around.

Not sure what you mean by "overlapping circles." If you mean two perfectly concentric circles on top of one another, then yes, but NVGs do NOT look like the Hollywood version of binoculars. I can live with the oblong field of view in-game because it lets you compensate for the reduced situational awareness you get from playing on a computer. In real life, you're able to look under the googles, which helps with SA, but isn't modeled in game.

No kidding, it would kill two birds with one stone. The field of view and how people look under their NVG's to see certain things, especially pilots.

2:40

I'd love to use the blackfoots PIP at night but I can't because I can't see jack outside of the PIP which turns pure white when I look at it through NVG's :[

Here's what I'd like to see:

1) Instead of a black boundry, have the actual eyecups.

2) Use the new fancy reflection mapping and lighting to light these up, with a shadow where the glass is so that a) we can see where we're looking if there's a fire behind us or somesuch and b) it doesn't seem like we have no head.

Something like in DCS would be nice for NV Devices
No kidding, it would kill two birds with one stone. The field of view and how people look under their NVG's to see certain things, especially pilots.

2:40

I 110% agree. But I know we've been down this discussion/road before.

2) Use the new fancy reflection mapping and lighting to light these up, with a shadow where the glass is so that a) we can see where we're looking if there's a fire behind us or somesuch and b) it doesn't seem like we have no head.

Again, I agree. Same for the weapon optics, as well.