Sign in to follow this  
stealth2668

squad inventory improvements needed

Managing AI inventory is a serious pain in the ass. I select the inventory option and they run 500m to a random body when there's a crate full of supplies 3m away... There needs to at least be a way to trade with them so you can pick stuff up then give it directly to them rather than dropping it and have the "find" it.

• Like 1

Do it the old fashioned way. Shoot them in the head and pull what you want from their bodies. It's still a better squad inventory system than Skyrim. :)

Yeah, it could be nice to have a command in the orders ( or the actual "No ammo" ), and then one of your mates came and give you half his magazines ( a bit like the "Combat life saver").

How I did it in A2 was to direct them to the ammo box (or body) then use the action menu, 6, gear (now 'inventory') and it would pop up the gear screen as if it was me at that box.

Do it the old fashioned way. Shoot them in the head and pull what you want from their bodies. It's still a better squad inventory system than Skyrim. :)

Ironically, a Skyrim-type contextual AI command menu is just what we need. A sort of action layer for the point-and-click commanding that maps logically to crates, doors, etc.

Anyways, listen to the guy above me.

How I did it in A2 was to direct them to the ammo box (or body) then use the action menu, 6, gear (now 'inventory') and it would pop up the gear screen as if it was me at that box.

SOMETIMES this is the case, but most of the time I put something with an inventory near them (bag, vehicle) and they still run off to some random body or something 100m away. Like wtf?

In the latest dev build, this isn't working anymore (at least not for me). The selected squad member never brings up his inventory screen, so I can't rearm him.

Ironically, a Skyrim-type contextual AI command menu is just what we need. A sort of action layer for the point-and-click commanding that maps logically to crates, doors, etc.

Anyways, listen to the guy above me.

Call me nuts, don't we have that already with the tilde to 0 key and F1 to F8 keys? ~~

Select the player in question (1 to 0), F1 to F8 for the proper command, mouse aim the target, hit enter.

^ I think what he means is that you select a unit and point to a specific bag or object and get them to rearm/pick it up. That would be useful.

The original post was in 2013, but it remains a true pain as of Sept. 2017... (!)

Exemple : 

A.1: When I drop weapon upgrades on the ground right beside the AI squad member, they do not appear in the AI Inventory (in the Ground tab) 

Pain A.2: it is accessed by

• pressing 6
  • then pressing the key for that soldier (on my set-up, if I select the soldier first, pressing 6 unselects the soldier, WTF!) 
  • then pression 0 to cycle pages of dropped weapons on the field
  • and then pressing the proper number for Inventory (!), but often is buggy and will not really work. 

B: there is a different option under that squad menu (6) allowing to transfer stuff to the AI backpack : which is not relevant here as I wanted to have him equip specific gear and weapon upgrades.

HOW TO : dropping the items *near* a corpse works.  Using A.1 above the shows all the items on and around that corpse, if you place the AI soldier near. 

( I am currently looking for a mod that can make that more user-friendly in the single player campaigns.)

Well, there is a mod, I think it's Spyders Addon's load out manager, that will allow to save a setup and transfer that saved setup to your AI squad.  

So you enter the virtual armory, setup the kit - save in VA (for ease of access for future setups), then save that in the load out manager which you can then transfer to your AI squad.  But yea, still a bit of a pain and time consuming.