Enricksolt

Advanced Cockpit Interaction

Here's something i've been working on for the past few hours.

It's still very rough and needs a lot of work, but i like it so far. :D

-UPDATE 1-

-UPDATE 2-

-UPDATE 3-

Edited by Enricksolt
  • Like 2

Oh my god, please keep on working on this. I BEG YOU!

This is what I have waited for in ArmA. Just Throttling up isn't enough for me, I want to start it by switching every know I can.

Thank you for your effort.

BTW:

How the hell can you code this? The more threads I am reading, the more newbish I am feeling okay.gif

Nice work , but it can be really cool if you add more option for the engine like take on : helicopters

Probably it is much too early for a "feature request" but I think the interaction with the cockpits could be improved by giving a meaning to the "MF" in MFD. To be more precise: Can you show different things on the screens, such as a scalable map with GPS overlay, if possible with a flight path and known positions of friends and foes, compass and various other intruments at the pilot's or gunner's choice, weapons and systems information, the weapon camera view etc.? Perhaps the system could work in boats and cars, too? And in vehicles which don't come with a cockpit this may be implemented artificially by creating a pip screen which provides the crew members with information relevant to their role.

Edited by Alpha-Kilo

Nice work , but it can be really cool if you add more option for the engine like take on : helicopters

I second this. It would be great to have more conditions to meet before EngineOn == True. Maybe add in the Starter switch being held for some many seconds, the radio being turned on, etc., etc.

Great work btw, thanks for bringing it to A3

Yes! Please, please, please keep this an on-going project! This is great...

I've been a Flight simmer for years now. This looks super promising. You could

keep widdling away for quite a while. Like Raptor said you could link a whole

bunch of real-life stuff together to 'simulate' even if its not technically in the game.

The game won't let you do some simple things based on 'class' that make no sense,

but anyone can just jump into a helicopter and fly? Heli flying is one of the hardest

things to learn. Before I found ArmA this year, I was building a prototype cockpit

you can actually sit in with all kinds of things for the DCS series.

More switches, more options, more immersion! :icon_w00t: Keep it up bro.

This is great, similar to how its set up in TOH. We need to get rid of that STUPID menu system, esp in the chopper. Trying hovering a ghosthawk over a vehicle with throttle/stick/pedals before you have to go into the menu to attach or detach the vehicle. Totally ridiculous.

superb stuff, this is something that has been greatly lacking in this series imho! we really need those mfd's to be more functional + cockpits overall, keep up the awesome stuff!

Tumbs Up from me to....i loveee thisss...i realy do..i loved take on helicoptes just because taking of procedure...now i can get that in arma...and if u manage to do that all things in couple hours..i cant imagine what will happen in a few days..weeks..even month..:)

My main issue here is that without a "truly" clickable cockpit, this actually appears more cumbersome than the existing arrangement...

Quite impressive, would also be nice to have that interactions in other vehicles ( ships, cars and apc )

My main issue here is that without a "truly" clickable cockpit, this actually appears more cumbersome than the existing arrangement...

yea clickable icons would be cool. or a frame around the area the button is located. i actually think though that what you describe as cumbersome can also be more immersive. all depends on the final execution though. if not working with icons one could just use bigger areas like the whole instrument panel as a reference point for actions like "start engine".

Well, I assume he's using some sort of addaction command for them, so he could integrate it to where if you like middleclick it will do the action or you can use the menu.

Awesome stuff! Would love to see some added things to helicopters in Arma 3 use these types of controls. How did you manage to do this?

AMAZING, this feature bring the flying simulation in ARMA to a whole new level, keep it up !!!

And you could explain how you have done this feature then other modders could do it in other vehicles !!

Thanks for the feedback guys, i appreciate it :D

The system is still very limited right now, because is based on which direction the player is actually looking and not what he's looking at. So it doesn't properly work in flight, if you are not stable enough, since the tracking start to become messed with the helicopter's pitch and roll. I'm still working on it. :confused:

Add more controls over the aircraft should not be a problem, but adding things like maps or radars on the cockpit's screens can only be done on a custom vehicle, as far as i know.

The piloting in the Arma series has always be: Enter the vehicle, press Q, you are good to go. That's something i've always hated, that's why i became excited when BIS announced the TOH's features to be present in Arma 3. I hope they change their mind on not implement it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, i appreciate it :D

The system is still very limited right now, because is based on which direction the player is actually looking and not what he's looking at. So it doesn't properly work in flight, if you are not stable enough, since the tracking start to become messed with the helicopter's pitch and roll. I'm still working on it. :confused:

Add more controls over the aircraft should not be a problem, but adding things like maps or radars on the cockpit's screens can only be done on a custom vehicle, as far as i know.

The piloting in the Arma series has always be: Enter the vehicle, press Q, you are good to go. That's something i've always hated, that's why i became excited when BIS announced the TOH's features to be present in Arma 3. I hope they change their mind on not implement it.

You can get around problems regarding aircraft roll, pitch, and yaw by using modeltoworld to find the right coordinates in model space and converting those coords to world space. From there you can use worldtoscreen to convert the coordinates to screen position and measure the distance from the center of the screen to show/enable your action based upon a distance threshold. This can involve a lot of trial and error to find the right coordinates in the model; using a custom model you can simply use named selections in the memory LOD with selectionPosition.

Edited by Franze

A really unique addon , definitely something that needs to expanded and Incorporated into Arma 3.

Keep it up :)

I thought so... the video looked like it was tied to the player's facing and I was about to ask whether it would still be stable in flight. (I love it when developers prove they care about what they do and share the implementation details straight up!)

I was about to pick up my jaw from the floor, since I spent the last four days practising, practising, and practising some more on DCS: P-51D Mustang so that I can start and stop a Mustang from memory with my eyes closed (okay, no, not really, but I can do it with them open ;-)), and every so often I pop back into Arma 3 and immediately feel a pang of sadness that we can't have the same level of detail in Arma. Don't get me wrong, there's a snowball's chance in hell that BIS could even begin to put that level of detail into even a single Arma 3 unit if it took Eagle Dynamics years to put that much into a grand total of (count 'em) 5 units -- but that's where crowd-sourced development (i.e., the mod community) comes in. Of course, BIS implementing the ability for full-fidelity is almost as painstaking as actually creating the content, so we're limited to "cool, but not quite there".

Fantastic work all the same! I can definitely see myself using this as an excellent compromise, at least in SP (since adoption in multiplayer will be constrained to the tightest-knit of groups: it's not for your typical Wasteland/Day Z fan).

This is awesome stuff. Just keep making buttons for every single piece!

Like engine/displays coming on. Would be nice to be able to turn on displays, then ignition then starter or something.

this is probably the most exciting mod i´ve seen,