Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Altis - Info & Discussion

Okay, back from a 3 hour plus battle royale. Excellent performance for me, thus far! I had a NATO recon squad ferried in via Ghosthawk (which my team leader piloted because that's how he rolls), and got a solid 60fps until arriving in the big town in the southwestern corner of the island (Kavalos?? LOL. I've got to learn these names) where fps dropped to the 40s. I had placed three OpFor riflemen squads in the village, and also made it a "site" (base), so there were a few random troops walking around and a couple of Ifrits (including the expected fireball). I think my FPS dipped into the 30s a couple of times, but, for the most part, it was good and smooth. I did get those freezes/stutters on occasion, however, but it seems everyone's getting that (right??).

As for my system specs, I'm running WIN 7 64, with Arma 3 running off of my 1.5TB WD drive, 16GB RAM, i7-2600k Oc'd to 4.5ghz, and a Radeon 7970. Nothing too glamorous, but a decent rig for gaming/design work.

Note: I didn't set any objectives or do any sort of coding. I just gave the OpFor squads simple patrol waypoints around the village. Relatively new to Arma with this game, so I don't know if any of that matters, but figured I should mention it. :)

Also, it took me 3 hours because my squad kept getting wiped out and I kept starting over again :P

Edited by horrorview

I have had good FPS on a 64 bit Windows 7, Arma 3 on an SSD. I have an ATI card and its usage was fully maxed out in urban areas (says GPU Meter). Before entering A3, I did install the Catalyst 13.8 beta 2 drivers - they seem to work fine with A3 and Altis

Specs:

i7-3770K, stock cooling, no overclock

Radeon HD 7950 3GB

16 Gb of RAM (not much above 4 GB used at any time during testing)

SSD

I've just tried a nice battle around the bio domes. Can't complain about the performance either, 40+ FPS even with lots of AI. :)

Unfortunately, it's a different matter on my other PC. Out in the ocean it can get about 15FPS if I reduce view distance to 1km, but approach land and it goes down the toilet. I hope they find the source of the issue.

I have some FPS issues but I'd chalk that up to my crappy CPU rather than the OS (Windows 7 x64).

Altis is spectacular! But how authentic is it actually?

I took some comparison shots of the Limnos island power plant. :)

That is just amazingly awesome. I cannot believe how fortunate we are to have a company like BIS making games like this for us. AND FULLY MODDABLE games, to boot!!!

Love Altis, to top the cherry on the cake, would love a railroad. I think it be fantastic and BIS could have done some great track work plans (remember this the future, they can build one). For some reason, it just doesn't seem like a new "home" without tracks. I miss them from Chern.

Otherwise, outstanding. Few FPS hiccups. Nothing huge on my end. Also, terrain is a tad flat (i know its Greece). But still. The middle part of island is very unattractive due to its flatness. Out west and east and to North and South are amazing though. I am guessing a huge portion of missions be in the SW / NW and / SE / NE

Been spending a few hours on Altis. It's spectacular!

I cant play multiplayer for my life. When i make a mission to play with friends... it crashes on startup.

No special pb here either. Around 50-60 fps in Ultra, down to 30-40 in cities and occasional stutters here and there, but nothing out of the ordinay.

Win7 64 bit, GTX680, i7 3770 @stock speed 3.4Ghz. Standard HDD.

I really feel sorry for the guys having trouble. I hope you'll find a way soon.

well... if I stay out of bottle-necking areas of the map (primarily cities) and stick to rural areas, or open waters, where my gpu usage stays at 99%... Aside from the persistent stuttering and hitching that I am experiencing (and occasional freezing) I manage 40-60 average on an empty map in editor. Some dips into the 30's, but still fine and high gpu usage. Peaks as high as 90fps over open water, 75fps on land. Haven't even tried messing around with adding units/ai and such. Similar to Stratis performance wise... except, there are more areas that cause gpu usage to crap, and the stutter is much more pronounced and persistent than it is on Stratis since beta (and disabling SSAO doesn't seem to help on Altis like it did on Stratis).

On the bright side, there is some nice variety in the landscape around the map. I was afraid it was just going to be a larger version of Stratis (which I find kind of bland), so that is nice. Unfortunately, I'm still in the same boat as I've always been. Have to avoid areas of the map that cause GPU usage and fps to drop significantly. And, have to avoid pretty much anything other than an empty map and/or small scale encounters with a very limited number of AI, unless I want to play in the teens and 20's fps wise as gpu usage will drop too much for the game to remain playable (rather than frustrating). going in cities, flying around in a little bird, engaging in moderate encounters, etc... all yield massive drops in GPU utilization, and accompanying fps drops into the teens and 20's.

All of the above on max settings (with 4k/2k view) running on an i7 @ 3.97GHZ and a superclocked GTX 780.

There must be some VRAM or some similar problem with older GPUs (got gtx285) with altis because even with -nologs + all settings to low = not fixed anything and stratis goes fine

I'm using a GTX 260 and Altis runs OK for me, not great but that is to expected with such old HW!

/KC

Altis is spectacular! But how authentic is it actually?

I took some comparison shots of the Limnos island power plant. :)

Wow, real life and Altis looks the same on those shots. :)

Found Problem for

My setup W8 64bit GtX 470

I think we had in very early itteration of A2 ,

Seems to be when i have Flashplayer open with Firefox (youtube) Arma3 has not enough resource left to run.

Found Problem for

My setup W8 64bit GtX 470

I think we had in very early itteration of A2 ,

Seems to be when i have Flashplayer open with Firefox (youtube) Arma3 has not enough resource left to run.

Didn't help here; neither did defragging the HDD.

My last resort is updating the geforce driver, which is still an old 311.xx on the slower PC. Last thing I'm gonna try before I give up and go to bed. :cool:

EDIT: No dice. Latest NVIDIA beta driver didn't help, nor did disabling the Steam overlay.

Edited by MadDogX

I'm running it on a fairly mediocre PC, the performance isn't terribly bad until I begin speeding across the terrain in a helicopter around the main airport and it's surroundings... then it tends to plummet below 20fps until I slow things down a bit.

My PC just chokes to death trying to keep up with all those objects, but I honestly wasn't expecting mind blowing performance out of a PC with a GTX 550ti, 2.8ghz AMD quad core CPU and 4 GB of RAM anyway.

If I'm on the ground, at high altitude, or cruising along at speeds below 100 km/h, the performance is hardly any different than what I experience on Stratis, which is typically between 30-40fps unless I'm attempting to simulate world war 3, lol.

I can already tell Altis is going to keep me occupied for quite a while, it has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. :D

I got an 3930k @4.7ghz 16gb ram @2133 3 gtx 680 @1300/7000 and i get 35-45 flying a chopper with vd Overall/object 12000/3000 just to test. with lower vd like 3000/1500 i will get 60fps but not stable at all drops all the time to 30-25 for a sec and goes back to 60! in stratis i will get solid 60fps and all AiA maps too 60 fps!Takistan AiA can bump the vd to 6000/2000 playing MSO and will get 60fps solid! Rolled back nvidia driver to 314.22 from 326.19 and got a couple-few fps more! (326.19 i would get to many hard lockups and freezes)

The maps is good but needs a lot of clean up and optimization!But is beta!;)

Thanks DEVS for giving us Altis!

No problems here. Love Altis!!! Will take years to get sick of the island lol

SPECS:

Q6600 @ 3.2

Gigabyte 7870 @ 1100

4 Gig RAM

Horrid as it is to say: it runs like absolute crap for me: I'm talking as low as in 1 frame per 20 seconds in places when moving through the larger towns/cities.

My system:

Windows 7 64bit

I7 975 Quad Core Extreme @ 4GHZ

16GB DDR3 RAM

Nvidia 570 GTX 1.5Gb GDDR5

Stratis runs at 60FPS solid on the highest settings, dropping to 45FPS when theres lots of action and never goes below 25fps even when popping 10+ smoke grenades in the middle of combat.

V

Having a few missed beat moments but overall the frame rate is a steady 30-40

(video settings at start)

specs are Windows 7 home premium, intel I5 3330 3.00ghz, 8gb ram, 64 bit OS, Nvidia GT 640, 460 gigs free on HD.

I was also running this while having several browsers including youtube videos open, 3 messenger clients, photoshop, and O2 with bulldozer so I could probably get better.

So is there any SSD guys with Altis fps problem? Haven't seen or missed.

I'm OK with my rig. Runs just like Stratis.

Having a few missed beat moments but overall the frame rate is a steady 30-40

appears 18- 22 FPS (your maxed out at 30 FPS in the paused UI) in video and about 40 - 60 Missed drawn percentage of trees and shrubs , stil fantastic rate for al your apps open , Take it you mean A2 exe bulldozer as 2 * exe of A3 would need Nasa for sure ?

was having a few at first. but i checked my setting and had view distance at 7000.. so lowered it to 3500 and also set anti-aliasing to x2 and lowered a few other setting i cant remember right now.

still not running as well as i had hoped for on a GTX680 and 12GB but oh well. getting 40~ FPS most of the time so i'm happy.