Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Altis - Info & Discussion

I'm playing Altis on my trusty notebook.

No FPS problems, except for forested areas.

The island is really big, but a bit flat.

I believe its a hard drive issue too , when i first loaded altis (with the settings i played on stratis) its gave me 0-2 fps , after some options tweaking a managed to get 40-60 but when i tried to tour around the island with the spectator camera i got massive fps drops when moving and sometimes when turning fast . I did not try any helo but i imagine it is impossible for me to fly across altis right now.

It seems the game is streaming the map or something like that , i use a classic HDD so the data rate is "limited" :) , i will defrag and try again .

CPU : amd fx 8120 @ 3,1 Ghz

GPU : Gigabyte HD 7950 3GB gddr5

RAM: 8GB Mhz

Mobo : Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3

HDD : 120 GB SATA 1 :eek:

I forgot to mention , i am running w7 64bit

Also, when I go into the editor and select "texture" view, the map takes like 6 seconds to change to texture.

I'm playing Altis on my trusty notebook.

No FPS problems, except for forested areas.

The island is really big, but a bit flat.

You haven't been to the north west then. Give it a try, it's one of the most beautiful parts I've seen so far.

I love the diversity of the Island.

9 FPS in the middle of nowhere with nothing really in sight on literally arse settings klick

even parts of the character disappear whilst turning around klick

massive sad face

Two friends and me cant get it run with just three Hummingbirds. CTD's.

9 FPS in the middle of nowhere with nothing really in sight on literally arse settings klick

massive sad face

wow what kind of computer do you have? For me fps are pretty much comparable to Stratis. Around 30ish in the big towns.

massive sad face

i Had exact same with some weird animations going on too :(

this helped for about 20 mins

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=23988&n=last#bottom

These are wave power buoys. Inside the bottom there are pumps that rise and fall with the waves, creating electricity :)

Thanks for the info.

Boy, Altis really produces a lot of electricity. They have solar panels, the buoy thingies and windmills.

Also, when I go into the editor and select "texture" view, the map takes like 6 seconds to change to texture.

Don't worry, everyone has that.

64 bit Windows 7, got great performance.

Altis feels like Bohemia took all the knowledge they acquired over time and put it all in one big island. When exploring it, I found the best features of the major Arma maps. It's got the wide open (but far from featureless!) plains, it has fantastic hills and valleys, areas with dense vegetation and places that are virtually dried out. Not to mention the many urban and industrial areas.

As for the forests, I like them. Though nowhere near as dense as in Chernarus, they're better designed. Being in one feels like you're in a wooded area instead of being on virtually featureless ground with giant sticks protruding upwards. The resulting gameplay is more interesting too.

Altis definitely gets my vote for best island ever.

Edited by RasdenFasden

I also notice that playing at night results in a huge negative impact in FPS. Also the stuttering is quite massive at times.

Still fantastic island :)

The only performance issues I have is when I crank the settings far beyond what my system can handle. i.e. Very high and 8K view distance. Then I get hitches looking around a lot as textures load/swap, but other than that it runs almost as smooth as arma with lower settings.

i have no FPS issues, stable 30 FPS at cities + game feels quite smooth, i was excpecting much worse FPS, but luckely BIS made really a nice optimization.

Windows 7x64

Intel Corei5 2500K @4,4

12GB DDR-3 RAM

GeForce 670GTX 2GB oclocked @1,2ghz

128GB SSD Samsung 830 + 1TB HDD Samsung Spinpoint F1

520W Seasonic bronze PSU

I'm sure BI can find the problem if they get the intel they need, both from their side and ours. So remember to add:

• Computer specs (specific as possible) - Speccy or PCWizard are good programs to get more advanced specs on display.
  • Driver versions. Update them if that's needed (Windows, DirectX, graphic card driver, soundcard, SSD, motherboard firmware, etc.)
  • Usage of mods (texture mods or otherwise)

Additionally it might be in their interest to know this too.

• Use of parameters / launch options (like -nologs enabled?)
  • ArmA 3 settings
  • RPT file (For Windows 7 it's under C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Arma 3)
Edited by colossus
additional information

wow what kind of computer do you have? For me fps are pretty much comparable to Stratis. Around 30ish in the big towns.

E8200 @3.21 GHz, 4 GB RAM, GTX 260.

And before you hammer me, i wanna tell you that the hardware aspect is disqualified, 2 reasons for that:

-Standing in an equally 'empty' environment on stratis (where i also have shit fps esp. when looking at darned trees) gives me a whooping 48´ish FPS.

-our guy Culti owns a decent PC (!) getting constant 2 FPS on Altis.

Now tell me there´s nothing fishy.

Again, im not expecting miracles (honestly, i am), it´s just so many inconsistencies invovled... i cannot trust theirs/yours/ or anybodys hardware approval anymore.

i Had exact same with some weird animations going on too :(

this helped for about 20 mins

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=23988&n=last#bottom

Thx for the tip, and although i appreciate deanos work (hi mate!) i would rather see the problem at hand fixed, like really, by the developers.

I have no FPS problems and ArmA internal VSync turned on. My Steam apps are on a Crucial M4 SSD.

After a little exploring, I just had a few notes about some of the new building assets:

These are some of the more notable buildings I found while flying about. I am sure there is plenty that I've overlooked, but after visiting a few of the cities and POI's this is what I experienced. BI has done a great job of making most of the smaller buildings accessible, but it seemed kind of strange that a number of the landmark assets remain closed off/not modeled.

'Factory' - Not accessible past first ground floor doors, only the entryway is available. Inner main building area and 2nd floor are not accessible.

'Solar Tower' - Mostly accessible, there are ladders to the top, no entry on 2nd or 3rd floor doorways.

-- Great lighting on 3rd floor to roof access, really this was awesome!

-- Player character clips through safety bars on ladder. Able to clip through safety rails on roof. It's a long way down...

'Office Building' - Main ground floor accessible though only 1of3 rooms have working doors. 2nd & 3rd floors, have no working doors. 4th floor has balcony glass door and roof access ladder.

-- Skylight open by default, can not close, will look kinda funny in the rain.

'Church' - Not accessible at any point.

'Hospital' - Overall Ground floor is accessible, Loading dock doors are non functioning.

-- Hospital Side Wing - Helipad, AI can interact with vehicles from ground floor, they do not path to the roof. Roof top doors are not accessible.

-- Hospital Center - Roof top doors are not accessible, no access on floors 2,3, and 4 either.

The airport terminal on the other hand is a rather large building for the Arma series and fully explorable, absolutely love it!

Edited by Khreed

I will not spamm anymore with this but i 'll repeat..

Please don't limit objects!

The solution is probably elsewhere!

BI have done a really nice job on Altis only got a few FPS hits when i entered/flew over urban areas, as in a 1-3 sec down to 1-5Fps else the island is beautiful and divers. flew around in the hummingbird and ran out of fuel before i made it all the way round.

oh and hi

long time stalker and new to join

Spc it :

I7 3820

GTX TITAN - 320.49 driver

16GB ram

E8200 @3.21 GHz, 4 GB RAM, GTX 260.

And before you hammer me, i wanna tell you that the hardware aspect is disqualified, 2 reasons for that:

-Standing in an equally 'empty' environment on stratis (where i also have shit fps esp. when looking at darned trees) gives me a whooping 48´ish FPS.

-our guy Culti owns a decent PC (!) getting constant 2 FPS on Altis.

Now tell me there´s nothing fishy.

Again, im not expecting miracles (honestly, i am), it´s just so many inconsistencies invovled... i cannot trust theirs/yours/ or anybodys hardware approval anymore.

Thx for the tip, and although i appreciate deanos work (hi mate!) i would rather see the problem at hand fixed, like really, by the developers.

I wouldn't hammer you it just seems weird to me because for me it's only a bit slower compared to stratis. Seems like there are major problems on some PC configurations...

Altis is fantastic. Great work BI. I have suffered FPS problems here and there -- especially flying with TrackIR enabled. Lots of stutters during rapid head movement. However, I've been playing with almost everything set to max, I'm going to need to do some tweaking with settings. With the render distances dropped down to 6km (scenery)/3km (objects) I'm getting 30+fps. Pretty damn good for such a detailed place.

Performance improvements will always be welcome, but what I'm seeing is looking great right now.

Mk

Quad Core i7-3770

16GB Ram

GTX690

Win8 Pro

After a little exploring, I just had a few notes about some of the new building assets:

These are some of the more notable buildings I found while flying about. I am sure there is plenty that I've overlooked, but after visiting a few of the cities and POI's this is what I experienced. BI has done a great job of making most of the smaller buildings accessible, but it seemed kind of strange that a number of the landmark assets remain closed off/not modeled.

'Factory' - Not accessible past first ground floor doors, only the entryway is available. Inner main building area and 2nd floor are not accessible.

'Solar Tower' - Mostly accessible, there are ladders to the top, no entry on 2nd or 3rd floor doorways.

-- Great lighting on 3rd floor to roof access, really this was awesome!

-- Player character clips through safety bars on ladder. Able to clip through safety rails on roof. It's a long way down...

'Office Building' - Main ground floor accessible though only 1of3 rooms have working doors. 2nd & 3rd floors, have no working doors. 4th floor has balcony glass door and roof access ladder.

-- Skylight open by default, can not close, will look kinda funny in the rain.

'Church' - Not accessible at any point.

'Hospital' - Overall Ground floor is accessible, Loading dock doors are non functioning.

-- Hospital Side Wing - Helipad, AI can interact with vehicles from ground floor, they do not path to the roof. Roof top doors are not accessible.

-- Hospital Center - Roof top doors are not accessible, no access on floors 2,3, and 4 either.

The airport terminal on the other hand is a rather large building for the Arma series and fully explorable, absolutely love it!

Agreed.