Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Altis - Info & Discussion

I'm just going to set view distance to 12k and fly to the center of the island....

Only place I'm checking out is the Salt Lagoon, everything else i want to save for the campaign. I think it will give a better experience in missions if you're unfamiliar with the place.

Campaign champagne.... The campaign isn't really a big feature for me, I view it as a way to get acquainted with the storyline and why everything in A3 is in A3.

That said this is about Altis not the campaign though, but I just want to veiw the scale of everything. Like, we thought that airbase at Chernarus was pretty big, well this one on Altis is massive :o

The update will be 2.5gb+, upload is in progress. Source: Twitter @jaycroweuk

That Dl is gonna take a while for me, oh well. The first thing i'll do is just place a jeep at the coast and take a road trip around the island.

Jay Crowe â€@jaycroweuk 3m

Our Dear Leader, @YorisYan, kindly informs me that a 2.5GB+ upload to dev branch is in progress. #GotThatAltisFeelin

The update will be 2.5gb+, upload is in progress. Source: Twitter @jaycroweuk

That Dl is gonna take a while for me, oh well. The first thing i'll do is just place a jeep at the coast and take a road trip around the island.

Funny you should mention that, Reddit are doing a roadtrip. http://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/1l3u75/lets_all_go_on_an_altis_roadtrip/

Looks like it will be evening then before I get to try it out.

INFO EDIT: Altis update should be ~2.5GB in size, it's being uploaded now so expect it soon.

Last edited by MadDogX; Today at 11:34 AM.

Nothing that hasn't been mentioned here already (previous page). ;)

I wonder what the terrain geometric resolution of Altis will be? Chernarus is 2048x2048 points with a 7.5m point spacing which makes 15.36km by 15.36km. Altis will be 30.72km by 30.72km, but at 2048x2048 that will give a very low terrain detail of 15m per point, so I hope it is a 4096x4096 grid.

Edited by DomZ

cmon cmon...i cant wait....gonna jump into an offroad and drive the tires off

I won't be expecting "too much" before I've flown over the whole island.

But that is just because I don't want the same experience I had with the first ever trip to Stratis at the very beginning of the Alpha.

First thing I did was putting myself as a civilian on a beach, and empty off road car next to me.

Expecting Arma2:ish performance, and having barely 20 fps, and the offroad being really bad to drive, I was a bit disappointed although I knew it was early Alpha. :/

Now, of course, a lot higher settings, same scenario, over 60 fps, and offroad nice to drive.

Lower expectations provide lots of positive surprises. And I'm sure they will happen with Altis.

I really dont think JC2 is bigger than Altis. Most of JC2 terrain is taken up by small island and a huge mountain. Actually playable terrain is a lot less than say Altis. I'd say Altis wins this one.

In what universe does Just Cause 2 have a bigger map than WoW? And there is no way the GTA:SA map is that small in comparison.

Altis' landmass is 270km^2 (less than JC2 I'm sure) but including the water I believe it's slightly higher than JC2 at ~1,150km^2 (based on the info we've received, so I could be completely wrong).

But then the detail of the landscape in JC2 was... subpar. Bascially a few interesting places with km's of nothing in between. Some scenic areas but some of it was obviously knocked up very, very quickly.

I hope my pc does'nt impload. This is pretty impressive stat considering I always considered the ArmA island of the past an the OFP islands to be fairly large but this kinda shows really how Altis is superior to all other terrains is size.

8)- above link.:butbut: an all the newbies that think Stratis is the only island we get are in for a rude awakening(shock) 8)-

How long does it take to upload that 2.6GB? Can we have a torrent please? Kidding of course, but the wait is just killing me.. :)

Too early in the morning...can't wait 8)-

Edited by Call_911