Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAzimuth

Overhauling Air Power in the Arma 3

Hey DarkSideSixOfficial here, with a thought on air power.

Ever since Arma 2, i have noticed a few things that bugged me in the Fast Air element of Arma 2. First being they don't have Afterburner. Second, flares don't shoot straight down in one use like in real life, and one of the jets has two seats, but can only controlled by the pilot. Like the L-96ZA. But it came to thought about a more, realistic approach to this in Arma 3, to make things a ton more polished. How about if you can now use your Afterburner, but at a cost of more fuel consumption? It has been done in jet mods, but being a military sim, i don't feel as if the jets that should be able to go as fast as they do, are doing me any justice. Now, as for the flares, i want them to be just like in real life, one flare out for fast air, except for helicopters. Helicopters are the only aircraft that should shoot flares off to the side. Third, do you guys think it would be awesome to be able to have at least like, one 2 seater jet for each faction? It would bring some interesting play to the mil sim, and make it more polished. Those are just my thoughts and opinions. If you have any answers and questions or feedback, would be great.

Helicopters are the only aircraft that should shoot flares off to the side.

I wish that this would be the only thing unrealistic about helicopters. No flight models, no fast roping, and so many more.

Third, do you guys think it would be awesome to be able to have at least like, one 2 seater jet for each faction?

That would be great since there would also be more team work when multiplayer gets involved. But that would also mean that smart enough AI should be established for single player functions.

What about a "really" ejection ( seat ejection ) of the jets:

( even in helicopters, like in James Bond Goldeneye, you know 2030's... thought the russians are testing it right now )

Bohemia needs to combine forces with eagle dynamics and combine arma's ground forces with DCS's air assets. That is my dream.

It has been stated that at least initially, the game will focus on slower, subsonic ground attack aircraft. While I know for sure that other kinds of jets will be implemented to the game one way or another, I feel that with the scale of the world and the current targeting system supersonic aircraft (air superiority, interceptor etc.) seem impractical. The speed would be just too much to handle, the effective altitude would be ridiculously low and you could zoom over Altis in a few dozen seconds...

I don't know if a new flare system for jets was introduced in the launch sneak preview.

Implementing DCS, is not what i had in mind, just enhancing Arma as what it is. Maybe another day when Arma can support maps 400-500 KM bigger, than DCS would be hella reasonable. I would not say that the speed is too much to handle, just watch my Maritime Operations video on YouTube, i use Afterburners, and yes it gets you places fast, BUT, not too fast. Not only is it not OP, it does take up fuel faster forcing the pilot not to be reckless. As for the flares, i just think realism is the hot spot. It would be nice not to waste flares because of burst mode, and dispensing two at the same time. I've lost my life too many times because the loss of flares. I will most definitively prove these things when the full game is released by doing a video, showing all the reasons why it would fit Arma 3's environment perfectly.