Wisp

Establishing Shot

Does anyone know how to implement the satellite view like in the BIS showcase missions? The wiki page on it says the info is "coming soon."

0 = [player, "Alone on the beach, a young man dreams of love.",80,nil,270,1] spawn BIS_fnc_establishingShot;

/*

Author: Thomas Ryan

Description:

Play a fake UAV observational sequence which serves as an establishing shot.

Parameters:

_this select 0: OBJECT or ARRAY - Target position/object

_this select 1: STRING - Text to display

_this select 2 (Optional): NUMBER - Altitude (in meters)

_this select 3 (Optional): NUMBER - Radius of the circular movement (in meters)

_this select 4 (Optional): NUMBER - Viewing angle (in degrees)

_this select 5 (Optional): NUMBER - Direction of camera movement (0: anti-clockwise, 1: clockwise, default: random)

_this select 6 (Optional): ARRAY - Objects/positions/groups to display icons over

Syntax: [[icon, color, target, size X, size Y, angle, text, shadow]]

_this select 7 (Optional): NUMBER - Mode (0: normal (default), 1: world scenes)

*/

Thank you for the response.

I implemented the PHP code into a Game Logic, but when I go to play the mission, I get a couple of errors and the mission is actually underway. I can see the HUD UI for my squadmates and there is radio chatter playing that I have at the start of my mission.

How can I get it like in the Combined Arms showcase, where it plays, you hit space, and then the mission starts?

try this

#define BUL_UAVintro_Text "PUT YOUR TEXT HERE"
private ["_colorWest", "_colorEast"];
_colorWest = [west] call BIS_fnc_sideColor;
_colorEast = [east] call BIS_fnc_sidecolor;
//starts the UAV orbiting above
[
getmarkerpos "BIS_establishingShot_center",//need to create a marker called BIS_establishingShot_center
BUL_UAVintro_Text,//spawns the text
500,//height
500,//radius
10,//angle
(random 1),//clockwise\anit-clock
[
	["\A3\ui_f\data\map\markers\nato\b_inf.paa", _colorWest, getpos player, 1, 1, 0, "PUT ICON TEXT HERE", 0],
	["\A3\ui_f\data\map\markers\nato\o_hq.paa", _colorEast, [0,0,0], 1, 1, 0, "PUT ICON TEXT HERE", 0],
	["\A3\ui_f\data\map\mapcontrol\Transmitter_CA.paa", _colorEast, getmarkerpos "BIS_establishingShot_center",  1, 1, 0, "PUT ICON TEXT HERE", 0]
],
] call BIS_fnc_establishingShot;

to edit the text that appears swap out the text next to "#define BUL_UAVintro_Text"

to edit the icons and text that appear over units/objects look at the array below "(random 1)"

the array is in the format [[icon, color, target, size X, size Y, angle, text, shadow]]

icon = path to icon texture - STRING

color = ARRAY

target = OBJECT/POSITION (in ARRAY format)

size = NUMBER

angle = NUMBER

text = STRING

shadow = BOOLEAN - use 1 to enable OR 0 to disable

Hope that helps

Adam/Bull/Dragon (the last one is not true)

This is bizarre. Was playing with this in my Test Map, and it worked just fine.

Now in my Mission Map, it only shows the shot through my 1st-person eyes.

I want to place the camera on an object (the objective) but no matter what

I try, even 'player' exactly as kylania's but always just first-person view. Odd...

Anyone else? Know how to fix???

try this

#define BUL_UAVintro_Text "PUT YOUR TEXT HERE"
private ["_colorWest", "_colorEast"];
_colorWest = [west] call BIS_fnc_sideColor;
_colorEast = [east] call BIS_fnc_sidecolor;
//starts the UAV orbiting above
[
getmarkerpos "BIS_establishingShot_center",//need to create a marker called BIS_establishingShot_center
BUL_UAVintro_Text,//spawns the text
500,//height
500,//radius
10,//angle
(random 1),//clockwise\anit-clock
[
	["\A3\ui_f\data\map\markers\nato\b_inf.paa", _colorWest, getpos player, 1, 1, 0, "PUT ICON TEXT HERE", 0],
	["\A3\ui_f\data\map\markers\nato\o_hq.paa", _colorEast, [0,0,0], 1, 1, 0, "PUT ICON TEXT HERE", 0],
	["\A3\ui_f\data\map\mapcontrol\Transmitter_CA.paa", _colorEast, getmarkerpos "BIS_establishingShot_center",  1, 1, 0, "PUT ICON TEXT HERE", 0]
],
] call BIS_fnc_establishingShot;

to edit the text that appears swap out the text next to "#define BUL_UAVintro_Text"

to edit the icons and text that appear over units/objects look at the array below "(random 1)"

the array is in the format [[icon, color, target, size X, size Y, angle, text, shadow]]

icon = path to icon texture - STRING

color = ARRAY

target = OBJECT/POSITION (in ARRAY format)

size = NUMBER

angle = NUMBER

text = STRING

shadow = BOOLEAN - use 1 to enable OR 0 to disable

Hope that helps

Adam/Bull/Dragon (the last one is not true)

I'm a dummy. How do I implement this?

Well, I got it to work. So thank you.

But any triggers I set to fire at the mission start still go off during the establishing shot. Is this the intended functionality? How does BIS get around this? They have music or dialogue play immediately when you start playing, not during the establishing shot.

Both options do not work!

It starts the Shot looking through my eyes and not anything else...

Something else is missing from the equation.

_intro = [...] BIS_fnc_estab...

WaitUntil{scriptDone _intro};

// rest of mission start

Or just craft things so that they done go off right at the start.

I've tried well over a dozen variations of all these setups.

(this is just one example) Kooky that this works in one Map but not another?

1. Placed Road Cone named testES

2. Placed GameLogic named StartMissionScene

3. Placed this into GameLogic: ---> tried 0, nul, _nul, _intro, player, etc

_intro = [testES, "Security and Surrveilence Outpost #S.134",40,40,270,1,nil,nil] spawn BIS_fnc_establishingShot; 

Tried using options in init.sqf, tried the longer version of the code above. *scratches head* Kooky!

UPDATE:

Found the problem. Using ARP2 Surveillance Cameras & Monitors with this somehow causes a conflict. :cryy:

Edited by Goblin

Anyone else notice the delay with Altis loading, and the camera shot being rendered halfway through? Kinda breaks the whole scheme of things. Not sure how to properly delay the establishing shot until the scene can actually be rendered for the players. Open to suggestions.

Hi all - I'm still struggling with the music playing over the UAV briefing. Couldn't quite work out how to implement Kylania's comment (sorry, I'm still getting to grips with scripting, etc.). Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? There's a more detailed account of my problem here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?166176-UAV-Briefing-Intro/page2. Apologies for my major noobishness.

You had it right, just too many spawns. :) Check your other thread.

quick question. I have no idea where the array is in "Bull_A"'s PHP code. Anyway, about that I was wondering if theres a way to actually get the UAV camera to look at the player (for MP).

EDIT: nvm, i got it working now. thanks anyway guys

Edited by Ranwer

Sorry for the bump, but I believe this is relevant and a search hasn't found anything useful.

I have the player moving in a vehicle during the establishing shot and they move into view to an RV point. The icons for the RV and player for the RV show up fine, but they're static. Is it possible to have the player icon move during the shot like in the main menu?

• Like 1

Is it possible to increase the speed of the camera?

This effect is really cool !

Edited by Wiggum

On 8/20/2013 at 10:33 AM, kylania said:

0 = [player, "Alone on the beach, a young man dreams of love.",80,nil,270,1] spawn BIS_fnc_establishingShot;

it works thx

On 28. 1. 2014 at 10:00 PM, L3TUC3 said:

Sorry for the bump, but I believe this is relevant and a search hasn't found anything useful.

I have the player moving in a vehicle during the establishing shot and they move into view to an RV point. The icons for the RV and player for the RV show up fine, but they're static. Is it possible to have the player icon move during the shot like in the main menu?

Anyone solved this yet?