Sign in to follow this  
amos m

The eax problem

After having my old computer stolen I once again have a Soundblaster Live card. I also have Resistance and one of the first things I did when I got the sb Live was to try it out on a good EAX game. I found that the EAX problem still hadn't been fixed. I get a static like sound when I move on foot, and an almost crackling static noise when some vehicles are moving. Well at least I don't have footsteps and heavy breathing echoing in my brain.

One thing I did notice though was that there seems to be a lot of echo when using hw/accel and EAX in OFP. When running in a town area I hear my footsteps echo repeatedly for about 1 second. That's a lot of echo.

Are these problems ever going to be fixed? OFP is one of the main reasons why I want to have good surround sound.

I have a sound blaster audigy & I've always had a sound blaster. Every EAX game that I've bought has that reverb echo. That to me is just what eax does, I don't think it's a bug. The only time eax sounds good is when it's on surround sound, but if you're using headphones or 2 speakers forget about it.

I did notice that bis altered the sound in resistance so you can't hear footsteps a mile away & other stuff like that. They did a very good job in my opinion. Now it's harder to track people & it's easy to get supprised.

I haven't noticed the Hardware acceleration doing anything unusual, so you might try updating the sound blaster drivers & any other sound drivers on your system.

Did you install all the 'Live' bollox?. if so you probly have to turn 'reverb' off manualy in the EAX settings, somewhere!...

I have SB Audigy with newest drivers. Sound is great with eax on, but i'm getting some strange noise. It sounds like a bad quality sound. This happens only in OFP, and it's very annoying. I have no idea how to fix this. I tried everything.

Oh, and this happens even if EAX is off.

Any suggestions? sad.gifconfused.gif

It's new drivers. I got the same problem when I tried them, I'm now using the old (really old) ones. It's got crackling (under XP, not ME), but at least the sound itself isn't bad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ALDEGA @ Aug. 11 2002,14:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's new drivers. I got the same problem when I tried them, I'm now using the old (really old) ones. It's got crackling (under XP, not ME), but at least the sound itself isn't bad.<span id='postcolor'>

Crackling is wortst than that. Noise isn't really that bad, but i can't stand crackling.

The echo I was talking about is just excessive. I understand fully what eax is meant to do.

But the scratchy/white noise is now fixed, for xp/200 at least. I got the newest drivers from creative and all the eax/creative related problems seem to be fixed now.

Hooray! for creative and Hooray! for BIS!!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (amos m @ Aug. 19 2002,02:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The echo I was talking about is just excessive. I understand fully what eax is meant to do.

But the scratchy/white noise is now fixed, for xp/200 at least. I got the newest drivers from creative and all the eax/creative related problems seem to be fixed now.

Hooray! for creative and Hooray! for BIS!!!<span id='postcolor'>

No drivers for Audigy. Just for Live!. sad.gifmad.gif

Ok, i tried those drivers for Live! on my audigy, and it didn't fix anything. Everything is the same. That's why they didn't relese the drivers for the Audigy, i guess. sad.gif

And one more thing. Hind and Hip engine sounds are strange. sad.gif

Umm...It says specifically on the download page for the Live drivers NOT to use them on an Audigy card as they won't install anyway............

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (amos m @ Aug. 21 2002,06:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Umm...It says specifically on the download page for the Live drivers NOT to use them on an Audigy card as they won't install anyway............<span id='postcolor'>

Hehe. You have to extract the program with WinZip, winRAR or WinAce. Then search for "drivers" folder and open it. You'll find the installer there. They work perfectly on the Audigy.

Well don't worry about it. I've been playing it more and I've started noticing it again. I think it's not as loud as it was b4 though. I think I've started noticing it because I've been using headphones for the last couple of days.

EAX sucks and so do Creative... I got a CMI8738 and when EAX is on it also does that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (amos m @ Aug. 22 2002,00:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well don't worry about it. I've been playing it more and I've started noticing it again. I think it's not as loud as it was b4 though. I think I've started noticing it because I've been using headphones for the last couple of days.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, it's not very loud, but it still is there. It's still a little loud in Mi-17 and in the Hind.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PRiME @ Aug. 22 2002,10:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">EAX sucks and so do Creative... I got a CMI8738 and when EAX is on it also does that.<span id='postcolor'>

EAX can be on or off. You will hear that noise no matter what.

While using the new Live drivers doesn't help anything for me (I am still having the static noise) I have one thing that works: Microsoft's drivers for SB Live 5.1. The problem is that they are not compatible with the Creative mixer and other tools.

If you are not using them then I suggest you install the Microsoft version.

Except the Microsoft drivers don't support EAX, so you don't get the same rich sound experience. I know it sounds like marketing drivel, but EAX does add to many games, including EAX.

Now if Creative could just figure out how to write drivers...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but EAX does add to many games, including EAX.<span id='postcolor'>

hmm....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Aug. 22 2002,23:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now if Creative could just figure out how to write drivers...<span id='postcolor'>

lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ALDEGA @ Aug. 22 2002,14:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but EAX does add to many games, including EAX.<span id='postcolor'>

hmm....<span id='postcolor'>

My bad, I forgot to engage my brain. That was supposed to be "but EAX does add to many games, including OFP".

Too many TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms), too few brain cells...