Sign in to follow this  
DAMIAN

[SP] MACV SOG: ROAD WATCH Version 1

Hey all,

This is my second Vietnam War mission using the awesome Unsung Vietnam War mod. Once again, the mission is based on the exploits of the elite Green Berets of MACV SOG and their loyal indigenous allies, the Montagnards. Here is the mission synopsis:

Scenario: MACV SOG: Road Watch

Version: 1.0

Author: Damian

Requirements:

Arma 2: Combined Operations or Arma 2 with Operation Arrowhead (V. 1.62)

Unsung Vietnam War Mod Release 2.5

Community Base Addons

Hcpookie's O-2A Skymaster

Hcpookie's CAS Marker Smoke

JTD Mines

Blazes Backpacks

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT: Arma 2 Army of the Czech Republic Lite (For the Blazes Backpacks to work)

Had totally forgotten about this requirement. I apologize for the inconvenience it has caused anyone.

Overview:

You play as Lieutenant Ben McShane, One Zero (Team Leader) of Recon Team (RT) Habu, a team with Command and Control North (CCN), Military Assistance Command Vietnam Studies and Observations Group (MACV SOG). Your team has been tasked with a Road Watch Operation in target area Delta Mike 10 (DM 10), located in the De-Militarized Zone between North and South Vietnam. This scenario attempts to realistically recreate one of the missions conducted by SOG recon teams during the Vietnam War.

Mission Objectives:

Phase 1 - Cross The River

Phase 2 - Reach Overwatch Position

Phase 3 - Conduct Overwatch

Phase 4 - Locate Suspected Truck Park

Phase 5 - Find Intelligence Documents

Phase 6 - Destroy NVA Trucks

Phase 7 - Reach Extraction LZ

Mission Features and Tips:

* Some objectives require you to select an option from the ACTION MENU. You will be prompted to do so via hints. An example is the first objective. Once you reach the river crossing point, you will be given the option to cross the river in the ACTION MENU. This allows your team to "cross" the river and not lose all your weapons and equipment in the process. Other objectives also utilize the ACTION MENU. Be mindful of this.

* You can equip your team any way you want, but I have taken the liberty to provide a loadout for the team. Do make sure to fill the rucksacks with extra ammo. And do bring along the provided AN/PVS-2 Starlight Scope. You will need it.

* For objective 5, "Find Intelligence Documents", you need to search the huts for a map to pick up. This is also achieved by the Action Menu.

* When you reach the LZ, you will have to wait awhile for the extraction helo to arrive. It is timed to arrive in about 2 minutes in-game time from the moment you reach the LZ. This adds realism as it does take time for the helicopters to arrive.

* The scenario utilizes the UNSUNG's Support Script. It will only be available to you later on in the mission. Do read the UNSUNG manual to learn how to use it.

* The scenario also uses the TPW Suppression script, so you will see the enemy and your team members reacting more realistically to gunfire. You will also experience suppression as well.

* You have unlimited save games via radio code Alpha (0-0-1).

* I included the JTD Mines addon to allow the player to equip Claymore mines to the team, a useful weapon to kill pursuing enemies.

* LT. Ben McShane (main player character) must survive the mission as some triggers are initiated by him.

Additional Feature and Tips: All characters in the team are playable to allow the player to get the AI out of pathing issues, etc. I forgot to mention this earlier.

Credits and Thanks to:

- The Arma2 community for all the information and help they provide in mission making

- The Unsung Mod team for the best Vietnam War mod there is (For the whole ARMA series! Along with Jungle Fever for OFP by Hawkins!)

- Blazes for the backpack and ammo mod

- TPW, -Coulum-, fabrizio_T, and Ollem for the mission enhancing suppression script

- Alex / Headup for his briefing template

- The CBA team for the CBA system

- Hcpookie for his O-2A Skymaster and Smoke Markers. Finally, I have a SOG Covey aircraft for ARMA 2!

- DMarkwick, ReconPathFinder and TRexian for their awesome mines

- Bohemia Interactive for the best military simulation franchise in the world!

Mission can be downloaded from here: MACV SOG ROAD WATCH FROM ARMAHOLIC

Looking forward to any comments, feedback and mission experiences. Thanks! :)

Damian

Edited by Damian
Forgot to add one requirement and one mission feature.

Glad you are KommieKat! Do let me know if you experience any problems in game. I saw on the Armaholic site that someone faced some issues with the water crossing. My own testing had all the team members safely on the other side of the river. In any case, all team members are playable so one can easily swap characters to straighten all the little AI issues.

Damian

Well, so far, its great.

Only thing is, with the "Blazes BackPacks", it's asking for ACR content.

I don't know why.

Happens when I die and need to revert.

Revert means having to start all over again.

You think maybe it's CBA related?

It requires ACR AFAIK.

@Damian

I'm looking forward to trying this out!

It requires ACR AFAIK.

Seems that way. Don't know why. Not in his list of needed addons.

Revert gives:

ReammoBox_acr

caweapons_acr

ca_debbuingradio_acr

caair_acr

Seems that way. Don't know why. Not in his list of needed addons.

Revert gives:

ReammoBox_acr

caweapons_acr

ca_debbuingradio_acr

caair_acr

Aw dang. Totally forgot about the ACR Lite requirement. I apologize KommieKat. I will update the requirements list accordingly. Thank you for bringing it up. Sorry again!

@Snafu: Glad you're gonna try my mission out. Do let me know how it goes for you.

Damian

*Edit: Have updated the above requirements list and mission features.

Edited by Damian

OK, going to download ACR_Lite and do this again.

Actually I've got the full ACR but moved to new country and new PC. Have to figure out how to re-download ACR_FULL.

Just finished. Very well done.

I liked what you did with the river crossing and the overnight Recon. Nice!

Overall great Nam mission. Had me walking carefully through the jungle at all times, constantly checking the ground and horizon.

Just one slight problem I encountered:

At water crossing, my F6 AI would not move. He kept on his belly.

I Switched Moved to him, and he could only crawl. He would not sit up or stand up.

So, switching back to leader, I had to leave him behind. No choice.

@KK

About Spoiler, your unit was probably injured. Maybe sombody shoot him or he fall from hill and you didn't noticed that.

Hey KommieKat,

Hmmm, I never experience that issue before. It could be some glitch, but I'm pretty sure it is not related to the mission. I played through it multiple times and never got that before. But if that was the case, did your mission end? Because the chopper shouldn't have taken off unless all LIVE members of the team were on board.

Besides that, I'm glad you enjoyed the mission!

Damian

Just got done playing through this mission -- excellent work! I was able to get through it with all my team alive without any game breaking bugs, although I did get a lot of this obnoxious white screen, I'm assuming it's tied somehow to a stamina measure? It would kick in when running for too long and seemed to abate when I would rest or move slowly. Anyone else experience this? And my guys would complain incessantly about needing a medic, even after they had already been healed. Both of these seem like UNS bugs and not ones with this mission.

Also...

In the truck camp, you should consider setting the guys hiding in the hut with the intel to setUnitPos "MIDDLE" or "UP" as they were firing through the hut's porch fence. The guys in the camp were very, very (very) challenging to clear out, I got it done after many reloads.

There's a lot to love in this mission, I think it captures the experience the UNS team intended for players really well. The insertion and extraction works great, I was especially relieved to get extracted as I was frantically calling fire missions in 30-degree increments to the south, danger close, with the Cobras swooping around on gun runs. The feeling of getting the whole team out alive, especially after that traumatic experience playing your BDA mission against similarly intimidating odds (or so I thought, I never really saw any of Charlie overtake the LZ), was really rewarding at the end. I also enjoyed the phases and how the mission had a logical progression, I enjoyed setting up my team for the night time observation phase, unsure if we'd be in-contact and carefullly assigning positions with cover. Use of the addons and equipment selection is also great, the plane fly-over, the AN/PVS old school NVG, it made it feel not only like a 'nam scenario, but a MACV SOG mission.

One thing you may want to consider is just giving the "Dedicated to..." text at the end a little more time, as I found that the mission ended a little too soon after that popped up.

All in all, I'd say this mission is awesome and I hope other peeps will give it a run!

Edited by h34dup

Hey H34dup,

I'm glad you had a good run during the mission. For the spoiler, you're right. I will get to that right away. As for the enemy overrunning the LZ, well, that was the plan. But the Snakes seemed pretty good at their job. I think they capped the bad guys almost right at the point where they spawned haha. That's why you don't see a lot of action at the LZ.

I will also increase the time for the dedication page. You're right that it finishes too fast.

Thanks a lot H34dup for running through the mission!

Damian

Edited by Damian

This looks promising, been looking for missions like these lately. Say, Damian, are you from 1 CDO BN?

Hey firefek,

Sorry for the late reply. I was from the 1st CDO BN, but am now studying.

Hope you enjoy the mission!

Damian