Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS2.0 WIP Thread

What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?

• Stereo (or Headphones)
    • 5.1 Audio System
    • Stereo due to TeamSpeak/ACRE

Normally JSRS runs client side and is pretty much usable near non-JSRS clients. The thing is, that I can't speak for other mods, and I dont know how much they would effect JSRS. JSRS is changing Volume, Distance, Pitch and Soundfile Paths in the weapon and vehicle configs, thats it. If you dont run another soundmod the same time, you shouldn't get in any kinda trouble here ;)

LJ

Right,so if we have our own mod that changes values like damage or recoil etc, this should not affect anything right? because you are only changing Volume, Distance, Pitch and Soundfile Paths.

Right,so if we have our own mod that changes values like damage or recoil etc, this should not affect anything right? because you are only changing Volume, Distance, Pitch and Soundfile Paths.

Precisely!

LJ

LordJarhead you can just use the Dev Branch to get the new stuff now so you don't have to wait until December 11th to get the sounds done. Probably the most efficient option right now so you have plenty of time to do the sounds.

LordJarhead you can just use the Dev Branch to get the new stuff now so you don't have to wait until December 11th to get the sounds done. Probably the most efficient option right now so you have plenty of time to do the sounds.

Would have done the sounds now right away and tested them on other vehicles for testing purposes. And then I would've just adept the configs to the new content ;)

LJ

is it out now? if yes a link would be nice ;D

Read the thread, he said around the 15th is the projected date.

I am allready so curious about your the new system for indoor/outdoor sounds, finally some neat silencer sounds and the miniguns for helis and jets!

Cant wait=)

Greetz!

8 days to go!!

Please don't. We have enough time-stress as it is going on over at the studio, having people fill our thread with countdowns make my stomach hurt, lol. :P

Please don't. We have enough time-stress as it is going on over at the studio, having people fill our thread with countdowns make my stomach hurt, lol. :P

Thanks John! :)

LJ

Haha my apologies guys got a bit excited lol just think after release you can all just relax and enjoy all the post release comments and thank yous

I have a question dear Jarhead:

Is there a chance you will support some weapon addons?

I dont expect you to support all of them but the ones with the best quality maybe?

Because it will make them only half enjoyable if they are not on par with your great sounds.

Best regards!

Makes a good point,

Massi addons are well known like the African conflict etc should check these out as they could use some jarhead treatment

I have a question dear Jarhead:

Is there a chance you will support some weapon addons?

I dont expect you to support all of them but the ones with the best quality maybe?

Because it will make them only half enjoyable if they are not on par with your great sounds.

Best regards!

I try to support who ever is so kind so send me a nice question. I mostly make new sounds for them, not giving them old used ones.

Makes a good point,

Massi addons are well known like the African conflict etc should check these out as they could use some jarhead treatment

Yes...

IIRC Massi's weapon use jsrs 1.5 sounds

... he was asking for sounds and I made him some JSRS1.5 sounds that I've updated to stereo ;)

Though all those sounds are still not really supported with JSRS2.0 since they are not covered by the script.

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

I'm so glad you are working on this, LJ

So much wasted potential in vanilla :/ Updated graphics are not everything dear Arma devs

What i noticed is that in vanilla you only hear 2 things when driving vehicles: Tire sounds and the engine. However that's only half of what a vehicle emitts as sound.

One of the most notable sounds if you are sitting inside larger vehicles is the gearbox. Here are some extreme cases if you need some inspiration/ideas:

(shifting at ~0:35, the whailing is a combination of gearbox+ the humming of its tires)

And

inside a "Strider" aka Fennek.
. Notice how audible the gearbox is even at those low speeds!

And

is to show that not just german equipment does this ^^

If you are standing outside of a modern vehicle you also often hear the airconditioning unit. Here is another example for the Strider where you can hear the 4 things: Engine, Tire sounds, Gearbox, Airconditioning unit.

It also makes driving a vehicle more enjoyable if you have not just the (in vanilla almost silent) engine noise and monotone tire grinding sound, but a multitude of different sounds all working differently

Different Tire sounds for normal roads (kind of humming) would also add quite alot imo .

you can hear it multiple times from different vehicles, all sounding the same ^^Unfortunately nothing one can use as sample :/ A mix of the humming sound + dirt sound on those compressed dirt roads would be also be nice.

I hope it gives you some ideas or inspiration if you need it.

Thanks for your work.

Edited by Fennek

Yea vehicle sounds are quite terrible in the vanilla game.

Here the example for the "Hunter" again:

I'm not an expert, but I would guess this high pitched gear box buzzing is more audible inside, outside the engine and tire sounds are probably drowning it. But it's true, the gear box seems to be really loud on these military vehicles. In real life I noticed something like this only in vehicles with a really high mileage.

Will there be different bullet impacting sounds for different materials, LJ? I've never thought about that detail, just noticed it in SoS and really liked it.

Besides, the vanilla impacting sounds (and even the SoS ones, too) seem to be way too quiet.

Watched some shooting range videos on youtube with people shooting at metal/steel targets and those were damn loud.

Oh wait, just as I wrote about impacting sounds something came to my mind. Uhm, did anyone of you notice this issue ... you're sitting in some armored vehicle, looking through the gunner optics. And after some time you see somethings happening in the left top of your screen and think, 'dafuq, I'm damaged?! oh wait, something is shooting at me lol!'.

Are there actually impacting sounds for projectiles hitting _your_ vehicle while being inside? If so, oh god please make them way more audible!

Don't know what BI Devs were thinking. Getting hit by 30mm, 120mm or a missile/RPG should be uncomfortable in any kind of armored vehicle. And even getting hit by small arms fire should be pretty much audible at least in MRAPs and APCs.

Server RPT.

2013/12/09, 19:32:46 Cannot load sound 'jsrs2_mx\mx_dry.wss'

2013/12/09, 19:32:47 Cannot load sound 'jsrs2_mx\mx_reload.wss'

Client running JSRS server not running JSRS.

Server RPT.

2013/12/09, 19:32:47 Cannot load sound 'jsrs2_mx\mx_reload.wss'

Client running JSRS server not running JSRS.

glad to see that bug is still around, I believe it's an engine bug where the reload sound on the client is also told to play on the server instead of reading its own config

Btw. what's the matter with this content creation contest BI is spending 500k € for?? Would'nt JSRS 2.0 be a great candidate for those content creation prices? Just read about it though, so maybe someone can clear things up?

Btw. what's the matter with this content creation contest BI is spending 500k € for?? Would'nt JSRS 2.0 be a great candidate for those content creation prices? Just read about it though, so maybe someone can clear things up?

Yes it would. LJ has to decide if he wants to participate.

Yes it would. LJ has to decide if he wants to participate.

Well..i m sure most of you agree that *Should is a more appropriate word than *would :)