Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS2.0 WIP Thread

What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?

• Stereo (or Headphones)
    • 5.1 Audio System
    • Stereo due to TeamSpeak/ACRE

Update: after visiting some nearby sites, I've found finding a place without modern background noise is impossible nearby, so it might take some months to gather samples. I'll let you know when I have something. I'm going to hopefully get some decent stuff this week, but rain especially will take 6mo+ since we just entered the "it doesn't rain for 6months straight" season.

Using the dev build with this and I seem to have no soldier movement sounds. I have checked to see that the movement.pbo is in the folder. Anyone else having this issue?

I tested your Sound Mod and i must say it is really good. Not so exaggerated or alienated as the Sound of Speed (should not mean that SOS is bad). But i think with the JSRS you can hear good differences. SOS is a bit overloaded because of all the different sounds. But it is always a matter of taste.

So i use your JSRS and your explosions und sounds are very nice. I don´t found any bugg so far. Pretty cool: the in-car sounds!

But i have some things, that you should improve:

1. No really difference between outside shooting and inside shooting (houses). The hall is very less.

2. The smoke grenades could have another sound, more clicking from the cotter.

3. Do you have redeploy the sound of the APC´s? and the mounted HMG´s? The sounds are the same as the standard BIS sounds?! Is this correct?

4. Maybe a better sound of the winds!

All in all very nice addon. Please go on with this cool addon!

@New Jersey

You seem to be new=)

JSRS is around the Arma community since years! Vehicle weapon sounds will be coming - same as different sounds for indoor fights.

But as you were talking about bugs:

Here are a few things I found so far:

1. The rifle of little bird pilots (a smg) is sounding strange when fired in burst mode

2. When shooting grenades out of the APC infantry carrier not every explosion has a sound. Only if you fire bursts you hear explosions

3. Explosions sound strange when flying a helicopter (on the ground they sound ok but when flying they dont fit and seem to vary in its quality)

4. Blufor sniper rifle sound doesnt sound very powerfull

Best regards!

Hey Lord Jarhead, I just stumbled across this

It says for one dollor donation youll get access to all the sounds - 1 Dollar is definately worth this dont you think?

Could be sth you might be interested in!

Greetz

It says for one dollor donation youll get access to all the sounds - 1 Dollar is definately worth this dont you think?

Greetz

Yeah, pretty interesting indeed. I back them up for sure, sadly it'll still take a while till we get the first results. Still it worths a bunch of dollars I believe since the results are for free ;)

LJ

@ Nordkindchen: Yes you are right. I am new here in that topic and also in the Arma World.

Bit i am loving this modding features. So the JSRS is amazing for me.

I have one more criticism. All weapons (pistol, rifles) shoots are in the 1st person view too quiet. The Explosions at a distance of 1,5km can´t be louder as my rifle shoot?!!

Greetz

Nice find. I chipped in $20. If funds work out in the future I might change it to $50-$100 before the KS ends. Hopefully more will chip in as it'll be a great help for sound modders out there having to endure working with degraded combat footage sounds, etc and who aren't fortunate (or rich) enough to live somewhere where they have full access to a range, proper recording equipment and of course tons of weaponry the size of FPS Russia or something, heh.

So when can we expect the new 2.0 version to come out thanks currently running alpha here?

So when can we expect the new 2.0 version to come out

Not even I can tell you the answer and I'm the damn author of this :/

Updated the thread with a poll...

LJ

sounds kinda strange, never listened to 5.1 or 7.1 besides at movie theatre.

Nah why should you? There's no need, I kinda prefer stereo sometimes because its ... less stressful :) I just wanna find out whats the majority using and then how I can apply the mod to their way of use.

LJ

Nah why should you? There's no need, I kinda prefer stereo sometimes because its ... less stressful :) I just wanna find out whats the majority using and then how I can apply the mod to their way of use.

LJ

yep mate, i do understand why you asking it, i just somehow never thought about, after all the years, i'm still using 2.1 setup ;)

I always play with a stereo headset (a combo of AKG K701 earphones and an Antlion ModMic). I wouldn't want to install a whole lot of speakers for gaming, so I voted for Stereo.

Besides..making it for Stereo in mind..most Surround systems will be able to quite-efficiently expand the Stereo sound to 5.1/7.1 within their setup..while being from-the-box for 5.1/7.1 ..this could bring serious troubles to 2.0 systems without possible way for user to bypass/fix those.

I have G930 and they're 7.1. Should I vote for the first one Stereo (or headphones) because these are more like virtually 7.1 what I've heard or the 5.1?

I switch between both, but I believe as long as you have 5.1 sounds properly working, it's not hard to downscale that to stereo headphones through your sound card drivers.

For instance, on my sound card I leave it set at 6 channels, but when I switch to Headphone mode I still get directional sound.

I don't understand exactly the current debate on stereo v 5.1 (I do understand the difference between these two things, yes).

^^ until the first gunshot .... then it goes quiet (apart from trickling water of course!)

I have no sound when I lock a vehicle with the NLAW. Is that a bug caused by your mod?

yes! yes! yes! we need more sound mods! arma 3's gun sounds are better but nothing beats sounds made by people that are dedicated to just that. sounds. so no offense to BI but sound mods improve the game immensely

Yes! Amaze-BALLS

I have no sound when I lock a vehicle with the NLAW. Is that a bug caused by your mod?

Nah its not a bug caused by JSRS since I never touched that config entry. You hear a lock without the mod?

LJ