Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS2.0 WIP Thread

What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?

• Stereo (or Headphones)
    • 5.1 Audio System
    • Stereo due to TeamSpeak/ACRE

Thanks for uploading the video LJ, sounding brilliant as usual :)

One thing that did surprise me though, at 9:12 I was waiting for a heavy 'boom' sound when the bombs hit Kamino. However, I barely heard the explosions at all. I skipped back to make sure I didn't somehow miss it. Is this normal or was it just a fluke with the recording? I was expecting a low frequency pop of explosive sound (despite the distance).

Edit: For reference, something similar to this:

Edited by GDSN

I did not play the campaign because I'm waiting for this awesome mod. I can not wait to download it. Show! Perfect!

Seconded.

I've just watched the video, really like all the background sounds. And the weapon sounds 1st person.

However when the other guy shoots, the bang you hear... and then a metallic sound... the last one is

quite loud, if he's +/-8mtr away. Maybee tune that a little bit? Just trying to be constructive.

Rest is great, especially if you hear the shit hitting the fan in the background that's awesome. I lolled like

OMG they are getting F'ed up there. :)

Why is it that in OFP, A1, ?, A3 still machine guns cannot 'rattle' well? Even in editor with 56fps I cannot get

solid rattle noise that make ppl go WTF. If some MG gun goes nuts... Don't know how to explain. In MP coop

that is often allot of fun and addition. Especially if you hear it going in the background giving cover etc.

Anyways looking forward! :)

If your are willing to help out, you are welcome to do so. Raining sounds are pretty important to me too, so maybe you can come up with some nice recordings for that. Dont really need animal sounds though. The most important thing would be environmental static sounds that can be looped. Like forest areas, meadows and what so ever...LJ
Would you need separate rain recordings for nature (like in a forest or something) and rain on concrete/metal for an urban locale, or just one sound for both? I mean, the sound of the impacts is very different.

I'll look into this next week and see if I can find some places nearby without any modern background noise.

PS: can you add a wind sound for when driving in an open vehicle (chopper/ATV)? I nice "whoosing" would really add to the immersion there.

Edit: ehehehe, apparently a typhoon is on its way. You will have your rain sounds.

Edited by DNK

Great that there are people like you willing to help LJ. As far as JSRS will go in terms of authentism it will depend on LJ but I think it would be nice to have different sounds of rain based on location.

But while recording the sounds in the forest while typhoon hits - please be carefull :)

Inspired me to buy a decent mic and maybe I could contribute with some mid-European sounds if needed, as I'm living out of town.

i live in the middle of nowhere...

actually surrounded by woodland in the good ol UK if i could help?

Actually, looks like it's missing my city entirely now, so no worries. Looks like it's quite a beast, so it's for the best.

Nice showcase video.

Can you make it that crickets and birds do not play inside the car? It's strange to hear them tjirp and everything clearly, for long too, while the truck is driving pretty fast.

Ya, I'm liking that latest video.

Now I might have to wait to play the rest of the campaign until this comes out.

My only question\complaint is:

When getting on and off the the little bird the rotor sound changes significantly.

Shouldn't it be basically the same volume?

Maybe this is a game engine restriction?

Can you replace the "closed cockpit" rotor noise with the outside rotor noise?

Thanks,

Hoobie7

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

Nice showcase video.

Can you make it that crickets and birds do not play inside the car? It's strange to hear them tjirp and everything clearly, for long too, while the truck is driving pretty fast.

Ha, I noticed that noise too.

But I thought it was coming from the vehicles engine.

Hoobie7

Nice showcase video.

That whistling noise you are hearing is the engine. It's in the JSRS 2.0 Alpha too. It's basically the sound of the engine going at turbo speed. (holding down the shift key).

http://www.freesound.org/search/?q=&f=&s=score+desc&advanced=0&g=1 :p

Sounds in the vid are epic. I like the distant gunfire/explosions :)

nice website!!! maybe LJ can use this!!

---------- Post added at 09:38 ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 ----------

Thanks for uploading the video LJ, sounding brilliant as usual :)

One thing that did surprise me though, at 9:12 I was waiting for a heavy 'boom' sound when the bombs hit Kamino. However, I barely heard the explosions at all. I skipped back to make sure I didn't somehow miss it. Is this normal or was it just a fluke with the recording? I was expecting a low frequency pop of explosive sound (despite the distance).

Edit: For reference, something similar to this:

can LJ use this for the ambient explosions???

Oh god I'm so waiting for this mod! The alphas are already awesome ... and the vids really teasing :D

I really don't know how you LJ being a semi-professional with only limited equipment are able actually able to bring up way better sound effects than BI itself. It's changing the whole atmosphere, the whole game.

I don't know if this is any helpful, but I did some research on the sounds in Arma 3 which bother me the most. I actually did it for the BI devs to show them how those certain guns/vehicles sound in reality. I just post you a quote of the message to the BI devs:

Sound:

1. Gunsounds of Zafir, small caliber Gatlings, large caliber Helicopter/Jet Gatlings/Autocannons, 35mm AA Cannon are puny, unrealistic and just awful immersion/fun-killers.

This is the real life gun used in the Comanche (Blufor Attack Chopper):

(watch from 0:25)

Arma 3 needs to be closer to that RL experience. We need the damage, rate of fire and sound to be closer to the real gun!

This is the 7.62mm Zafir in real life:

(watch from 0:50)

Please rework the sound in Arma 3!

This is the 7.62mm Gatling in real life:

(watch from 0:10)

Rate of fire is too low in Arma 3 (real life: ~ 50 rounds per second!) and the soundeffect is a fail.

This is the 35mm AA Autocannon in real life:

(watch from 0:15)

Sounds comparison :/

This is the Arma 3 Hunter in real life:

(watch from beginning)

Listen to the sound. Non-tracked vehicles are really missing realistic sounds.

2. Firefight/ambient sounds

Real firefight:

(watch from 1:00)

Warsounds/battlesounds/gunfire need to be hearable at much longer distances! Decrease the fading volume and increase the distance gunfire and other battlesounds are hearable majorly! You're standing on a hill 1 km away from a town with a major firefight going on and see all the tracers flying around - and you can't hear nothing! Of course no real life parameters, but a major tweak please!

I sometimes wonder if the BI devs actually ever shot a gun in real life. Arma series always had bad sound effects, I don't understand why. Arma 3 definitely has the best ones in the series but they're still lacking. I own 4 firearms, so I know e.g. how incredibly loud M14 is and it bothers me that guns in Arma sound so wimpy.

Fortunately, JSRS is here to fix this problem. Can't wait for the final release, I hope it's soon.

Fortunately, JSRS is here to fix this problem. Can't wait for the final release, I hope it's soon.

I'm not even touching the campaign until this mod releases. I hope it's soon too. But seriously, thank you LJ you beautiful man.

---------- Post added at 01:44 ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 ----------

Oh god I'm so waiting for this mod! The alphas are already awesome ... and the vids really teasing :D

I really don't know how you LJ being a semi-professional with only limited equipment are able actually able to bring up way better sound effects than BI itself. It's changing the whole atmosphere, the whole game.

I don't know if this is any helpful, but I did some research on the sounds in Arma 3 which bother me the most. I actually did it for the BI devs to show them how those certain guns/vehicles sound in reality. I just post you a quote of the message to the BI devs:

lol good on you bud

I sometimes wonder if the BI devs actually ever shot a gun in real life. Arma series always had bad sound effects, I don't understand why. Arma 3 definitely has the best ones in the series but they're still lacking. I own 4 firearms, so I know e.g. how incredibly loud M14 is and it bothers me that guns in Arma sound so wimpy.

Loudness has little to do with how realistic gun shots in games sound.

No, its not about loudness, not really. It has its reasons and some things need to be loud. But weapons cant be that loud in a game as they were in real life. That would mean that all the other sound effects in the game would be less or not audible at all to create this kinda volume difference.

Even more, you gotta think about soldiers wearing special helmets and ear protection as well. Ok, you can say "Hey, what about civilians or if I dont wear a helmet?" Ok, but we, or I cant get THAT much into details.

And to all who want to wait with the campaign, I think you can go ahead and play the campaign. The effect of JSRS would be just greater in the end then, hehe. And why I dont work for BIS yet? You gotta think about all the time I've spent into this project. This is time a company like BIS cannot offer through out the development process. Think of all the costs that would be incurred! JSRS is a big project, but still a one man show so to say. Sure I have help, I have my script and config guys around, people from all over the world helping with audio samples.

If we think about it this way, JSRS2.0 took now 3 years in development. Since I took JSRS1.5 and just build it up from there. Well, there are 100% new sounds already, but still. I know I've said that a lot already, but JSRS2.0 will be done soonish. Currently my time is too limited, to put it mildly!

Still, thank you guys very much to support me this way! Seeing such comments and feedback gives me pure motivation to continue!

THANK YOU!

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

If we think about it this way, JSRS2.0 took now 3 years in development. Since I took JSRS1.5 and just build it up from there. Well, there are 100% new sounds already, but still. I know I've said that a lot already, but JSRS2.0 will be done soonish. Currently my time is too limited, to put it mildly!

Still, thank you guys very much to support me this way! Seeing such comments and feedback gives me pure motivation to continue!

THANK YOU!

LJ

Thanks for taking the time to produce this mod LJH!

Sound has been a problem with this series of games (for me at least) since the beginning and without your efforts, I probably wouldn't have stuck with A2 or A3 for as long as I have.

Cheers :)

Regarding volume, might be you could dynamically adjust all other volumes when an "overloud" (more than max) sound plays for a short duration. Sort of like how in movies when a grenade/explosive goes off, everything else gets really quiet (minus the ringing, though I think ACE did that mildly which worked well), but just less pronounced and with a very quick resumption of normal volume.

So, you have a sound that ends up reaching the player at 150% volume. Normally, the game just plays it at 100% because this amp doesn't have an 11. Now, you could have some sort of script that went and adjusted everything by -33% over like 0.25 seconds, then slowly readjusted back up to 100% over like 5 seconds. Obvsiouly, another >100% sound playback would readjust everything downards again.

This is the audio equivalent of false HDR editing of videos, where artists brighten the areas around dark edges and such: it gives the appearance of greater dynamic range than the medium is capable of recording.

You could do this with fadesound, but I don't know how you could check individual playbacks for a "greater than 100%" sound.

And to all who want to wait with the campaign, I think you can go ahead and play the campaign. The effect of JSRS would be just greater in the end then, hehe.

LJ

I play this game for the realism and the immersion. one way or another I will be immersed god damn it, and if that means waiting for you then wait I shall. You're doing god's work LJ, keep that shit up.

Also immersion.

I play this game for the realism and the immersion. one way or another I will be immersed god damn it, and if that means waiting for you then wait I shall. You're doing god's work LJ, keep that shit up.

Also immersion.

Amen brother. Good on you for saying what we're all thinking!

Yeah, I played the first mission of survive. Then I heard LordJarhead's version. My god how different the experience was - I got more enjoyment watching that vid then actually playing the mission. I am definitely eagerly awaiting your mod LJ, you really do spoil us with your hard work.

I hope you don't feel pressured by all our anticipation, because I can tell ya its definitely worth the wait. Get what you need to get done in real life first and best of luck in whatever that may be. once again thank you for everything you've given us so far:).