Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS2.0 WIP Thread

What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?

• Stereo (or Headphones)
    • 5.1 Audio System
    • Stereo due to TeamSpeak/ACRE

Mate,

using other Mod's work or game content is weak. This is not what I have in mind when I say "I want to create my OWN sounds!". And well, this was not really meant to be seriously. JSRS2.0 will be a Free to Use Mod. If someone would be interested in my work in an audio design aspect I would be glad about new opportunities like new projects, or even job offerings. So, all good, easy, just speaking my mind here ;)

LJ

Your time and work is greatly appreciated LJ, and I hope you get some reward for your efforts one way or the other.

A lot of players are patiently waiting for 2.0 to become reality. Arma3 needs you!

Am even using your new JSRS for ArmA3 + JSRS1.5 combined with All In ArmA. Works great :)

Yeah no probs. Trust me, I get equally frustrated playing against the AI who are quite aggressive, but are also sounding as if they are all around me every time a firefight kicks off. Talk about making you feel paranoid, haha. So I'm hoping to get LJ to look into and tackle it. Situational awareness with the sounds were definitely better in A2 when they fired even in buildings.

Yeah, I just played some ArmA 2 with JSRS 1.5 today and the distance sounds are amazing...quite easy to pinpoint where the shots are coming from in a realistic fashion.

After the posts yesterday, I realized I was having similar issues with the bullet crack vs locality issue, so I did some testing and digging into my folders. Here's my results, although I did find that part of the problem was that I didn't catch that the AiA JSRS files hadn't been activated at some point when I updated AiA. This was done using default audio settings for a 2.1 stereo setup. I don't have 5.1 on my PC.

JSRS2 with JSRS 1.5 and AiA (1.5 sounds not activated): No gunfire can be heard over the bullet cracks. Really annoying

JSRS2 with AiA: Every thing works like it should, given the Alpha release sounds of JSRS2.

JSRS2 with JSRS 1.5 and AiA (with 1.5 files activated): Can still hear the rifle over the bullet cracks, but the bullet cracks are a bit over-powering.

Like I said, I found a problem with my install, so that's why I figured I'd share, but even with it fixed, it's harder to localize gun fire with JSRS 1.5 installed. I'm hoping with the release of 2.0 AND the release of the A2 MLODs, this will all cease to be an issue and we can get native A3 rifles into the game.

Upon further testing I think LordJarhead is right...the sonic cracks in stock ArmA 3 sounds are much too loud as well. In fact, you can barely hear distant (300ish meters) gunshots at all with stock sounds. Hopefully the devs can be made aware of this problem.

Upon further testing I think LordJarhead is right...the sonic cracks in stock ArmA 3 sounds are much too loud as well. In fact, you can barely hear distant (300ish meters) gunshots at all with stock sounds. Hopefully the devs can be made aware of this problem.

Well actually thats not what I've said^^

In real life, as mentioned by someone before, Sonic Cracks and Bullet Snaps can be really loud. In a firefight situation where you get under heavy fire from an MG or something like that, you can't locate anything in that moment. As soon as there are less cracks you can locate the shooter, or after his burst. Also it depends how close the bullet flies by your head obviously.

And to be honest, I dont know how loud the cracks are in stock sounds in Arma3. I guess that my newest creations are actually much louder again^^ But as said, with the distance script and such you are able to locate the shooter due to real life sound travel speed that has been worked into the script. So when you get under fire from longer distances, you'll always hear the crack first and THEN, a short while later, the pop in the distance, locational.

All that is actually working pretty great this far, except the close range locationing of a shooter. But either we will work that out or not. If not: I play with this issues since the ArmA3 Alpha and I can tell it has not been that much of a problem so far. Not a big one though^^

Thanks guys,

LJ

Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted what you said. I thought you said the issue with sonic cracks vs. gunshot sounds seemed to be an engine issue? I don't know that much about it so maybe you meant something else.

In any case, it sounds perfect in JSRS for ArmA 2 so I'm not sure what has changed between ArmA 2 and ArmA 3.

As for how loud the cracks are...they are pretty loud with stock ArmA 3, but seem to be even louder with current sound mods, such as JSRS or Speed of Sound.

Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted what you said. I thought you said the issue with sonic cracks vs. gunshot sounds seemed to be an engine issue? I don't know that much about it so maybe you meant something else.

In any case, it sounds perfect in JSRS for ArmA 2 so I'm not sure what has changed between ArmA 2 and ArmA 3.

As for how loud the cracks are...they are pretty loud with stock ArmA 3, but seem to be even louder with current sound mods, such as JSRS or Speed of Sound.

Well,

thats mostly a question of how a modder would set it up in his config files. You can give any sound file any kinda volume in the config. If you have normalized audio samples, the best way to give the sounds their volumes is by config entries. So in this case, if anything would be too loud, the modder needs to fix just one little entry in the config files and its done.

I did that with all interior sounds for vehicles on JSRS2.0 since most people play with ACRE or Teamspeak in generel in multiplayer so they cant understand each other so good when driving or what ever. So people are not needed to shrink down their ingame volume that much anymore when playing with JSRS.

Thanks,

LJ

mr LJ i would pay for it also.

you have done amazing work, the community love this mod ever since it was known.

JSRS is one of the most popular "must have" mods in the armarket :P

i think your idea is good!

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:58 ----------

Mate,

using other Mod's work or game content is weak. This is not what I have in mind when I say "I want to create my OWN sounds!". And well, this was not really meant to be seriously. JSRS2.0 will be a Free to Use Mod. If someone would be interested in my work in an audio design aspect I would be glad about new opportunities like new projects, or even job offerings. So, all good, easy, just speaking my mind here ;)

LJ

BIS are you listening to this!!! please hire him for future arma projects!! jesus christ lol

I'd really recommend you reread my post above and then go check your install files. If you're using AiA at all and didn't add the right files to the "Core," you'll have the exact issue you're describing. Once I fixed that, it's much more like A2. <Snap>..<gunfire>..<Snap>..<gunfire>. With the files not in the right place, you'll just hear really loud <SNAP><SNAP><SNAP>...

I'd really recommend you reread my post above and then go check your install files. If you're using AiA at all and didn't add the right files to the "Core," you'll have the exact issue you're describing. Once I fixed that, it's much more like A2. <Snap>..<gunfire>..<Snap>..<gunfire>. With the files not in the right place, you'll just hear really loud <SNAP><SNAP><SNAP>...

I'm not using AiA at all so it's not related to that.

Just found this when I noticed some strange goings on while playing the campaign:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=584

Looks like there might be some issues when using virtual surround/3D sounds headsets with Arma's sound engine. Breaks positional audio.

As soon as I turned off my virtual surround (returning to stereo) everything returned to normal.

Perhaps JSRS' positional audio issues that LJ reported are related to this?

I'm not using AiA at all so it's not related to that.

Ahh, okay. Sorry, I thought I had remembered you saying you did. In that case, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I played a bit more with JSRS in ArmA 3 today, and it seems situational...sometimes it seems like it's alright, sometimes it seems like the cracks are way too loud and overpower the gunshot sounds. I think part of it depends on if the enemy is firing up a slope toward you, or down a slope. You tend to hear the cracks more as they pass you flying into the air rather than hitting the ground around you.

Like with FX mods or terrain mods or AI mods or anything that adds real proper quality to the game, I wouldn't mind paying $2-5 for a DLC (or $5-10 for all 3 things together) or having it rolled into an expansion. That said, I do feel like a lot of this should've been included in the stock game, and I really dislike spending money for features that ought to be in the gold release, but since I know it's a community member working on it, I am less hesitant to part with money on the issue.

Look, as nice as the new A3 vanilla sounds are compared to A2 vanilla, the ACE2/JSRS/CSM mods were a huge improvement on A2, and it's fairly distressing that seemingly none of the great work done on those was incorporated into A3's sound approach. I'm pretty sure Ghost Recon 1 had much better sound modelling than this game in its current state... I'm not sure, but I know games around when I had my old nForce audio board had way better 3D/env sound than A3 does 10 years on (though the samples might have been lower quality, the simulation was better). Maybe that was the audio processor, but I'm pretty sure most modern onboard processors can handle these sorts of things now.

Same sorts of reply for AI and FX as well. Definitely watching this mod and Blastcore with much hope.

If you need any tropical environmental sounds, I have a Zoom H2 (up to 4-channel sound recording, fairly high quality) and live in a very tropical location. I wouldn't mind on my next hike taking some recordings if I can find a place with minimal modern noise (this is the hard part). I can also get developing-world urban/rural sounds (chickens, motorbikes, etc). Not sure how useful any of this is to the Mediterranean, but just offering.

Here's a sample, stereo but it's actually the two front channels merged to left and the two rear channels merged into the right stereo channel (so a 360-degree stereo recording, but I can do 4 full channels if needed - also I was moving the setup around while shooting, hence some instrument noise):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/188z019shz9fgdk/Tropics.wav

Will it solve the problem with the positioning of short range in the final version? At the moment the problem is the same as in the standard sounds:

Like with FX mods or terrain mods or AI mods or anything that adds real proper quality to the game, I wouldn't mind paying $2-5 for a DLC (or $5-10 for all 3 things together) or having it rolled into an expansion. That said, I do feel like a lot of this should've been included in the stock game, and I really dislike spending money for features that ought to be in the gold release, but since I know it's a community member working on it, I am less hesitant to part with money on the issue.

Look, as nice as the new A3 vanilla sounds are compared to A2 vanilla, the ACE2/JSRS/CSM mods were a huge improvement on A2, and it's fairly distressing that seemingly none of the great work done on those was incorporated into A3's sound approach. I'm pretty sure Ghost Recon 1 had much better sound modelling than this game in its current state... I'm not sure, but I know games around when I had my old nForce audio board had way better 3D/env sound than A3 does 10 years on (though the samples might have been lower quality, the simulation was better). Maybe that was the audio processor, but I'm pretty sure most modern onboard processors can handle these sorts of things now.

Same sorts of reply for AI and FX as well. Definitely watching this mod and Blastcore with much hope.

If you need any tropical environmental sounds, I have a Zoom H2 (up to 4-channel sound recording, fairly high quality) and live in a very tropical location. I wouldn't mind on my next hike taking some recordings if I can find a place with minimal modern noise (this is the hard part). I can also get developing-world urban/rural sounds (chickens, motorbikes, etc). Not sure how useful any of this is to the Mediterranean, but just offering.

Here's a sample, stereo but it's actually the two front channels merged to left and the two rear channels merged into the right stereo channel (so a 360-degree stereo recording, but I can do 4 full channels if needed - also I was moving the setup around while shooting, hence some instrument noise):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/188z019shz9fgdk/Tropics.wav

Your recording is actually not bad. Still I hear many things that bother me.

Don't know if its your microphone but there are slightly low pop noises throughout the recording. At 12 seconds there is a high pitched static noises starting all the way to the end of the file. I hear either traffic or airplanes in the background and at 18 seconds a woman is yelling :D So those are all kinda small details that would need to cut out of a sound file that is only 24 seconds long. Without all those noises it could be an night meadow sample for ArmA3 I think.

Though thank you for uploading!

Yes the 3D positioning is actually a real problem while playing with 5.1 audio systems (or even 7.1). You can especially hear that while having a chat with the commander at Rogaine in the first campaign mission when he's telling you to take the truck. I'm only able to hear him on the left or right front speaker but not at the center or surround. Though most of the other sounds are working. I think BIS will take care about this "severe" issue. Sometimes, if you dont look in the right direction you can hear them at all.

All the rest is working so far. I'll uploading a video with the first 10 minutes of the campaign with JSRS2.0 sounds. Its actually not much (No real firefights or content at all, I know) but it can show the difference between ArmA3 Vanilla and JSRS2.0 pretty good I believe. I hope I can show content of the campaign? Should read the rules now^^

LJ

"

Here we go:

3EJKrGnWY8U

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

Your recording is actually not bad. Still I hear many things that bother me.
It wasn't intended for audio but for video soundtrack. At the time it was on top of a camera that was on top of a tripod that I was actively panning around. So... the popping noises (from the panning) would be absent in a proper recording (those are me interacting with the assembly, which wouldn't be necessary on a solely-audio recording). The static (I can't hear anything 'static', but I think) is a motorbike or car on a nearby road, the sound of tires/pavement and engine. The recorder itself is noise-free unless it's windy.

I can get some serious frog sounds if you like (like a lot of frogs, plus crickets/etc). I live in a rather swampy area, and latenights are quiet enough I can get 1min+ recordings without "modern ambiance". For more birdy/etc sounds as in the video it will need to wait for my next hiking trip, which may be a bit of a wait, but if you're interested let me know. I might also be able to get fairly isolated tropical birds (without background ambiance) since lots of people keep them here as pets.

Oh, and rain. I can do that and then some. You want heavy rain sounds, let me know quick since the wet season is drawing to a close.

It wasn't intended for audio but for video soundtrack. At the time it was on top of a camera that was on top of a tripod that I was actively panning around. So... the popping noises (from the panning) would be absent in a proper recording (those are me interacting with the assembly, which wouldn't be necessary on a solely-audio recording). The static (I can't hear anything 'static', but I think) is a motorbike or car on a nearby road, the sound of tires/pavement and engine. The recorder itself is noise-free unless it's windy.

I can get some serious frog sounds if you like (like a lot of frogs, plus crickets/etc). I live in a rather swampy area, and latenights are quiet enough I can get 1min+ recordings without "modern ambiance". For more birdy/etc sounds as in the video it will need to wait for my next hiking trip, which may be a bit of a wait, but if you're interested let me know. I might also be able to get fairly isolated tropical birds (without background ambiance) since lots of people keep them here as pets.

Oh, and rain. I can do that and then some. You want heavy rain sounds, let me know quick since the wet season is drawing to a close.

If your are willing to help out, you are welcome to do so. Raining sounds are pretty important to me too, so maybe you can come up with some nice recordings for that. Dont really need animal sounds though. The most important thing would be environmental static sounds that can be looped. Like forest areas, meadows and what so ever...

Thank you for your support!!

LJ

Here we go:

LJ

I did not play the campaign because I'm waiting for this awesome mod. I can not wait to download it. Show! Perfect!

Edited by Foxhound
do not quote videos!

I`ve watched the video, sounds really good, awesome work LJ, can`t wait until its finished.

God damn, new version of JSRS sounds fantastic on your video. Can't wait, I'm refreshing this thread multiple times every day.