Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS2.0 WIP Thread

What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?

• Stereo (or Headphones)
    • 5.1 Audio System
    • Stereo due to TeamSpeak/ACRE

Just discovered this Mod and ughhhh i made a mess in my pants. :butbut:

Top work fella. :yay:

So what's happening? This thread was kinda dead for the last 2 weeks.

LJ will post when he has some news, after all they have lives too :)

So what's happening? This thread was kinda dead for the last 2 weeks.

Why is he getting a warning for his question? Isn't that a bit harsh guys? :( You judge to fast these days...

Yes, sry for my disappearance for the last couple of weeks. I have really sick for a while and my graphics card got fried so I had to get some new stuff first and all. Due to my sickness I'm very unstable so to say lately, loosing my motivation real fast. I'm sry!

Ok, so the last weekend I got some new stuff in the development version of JSRS. Let me put up some things I've made, it was a busy weekend but I finally got some time for my hobby:

Reworked all config files for all vehicles:

Now the frequencies are getting fully used by the sounds, the driving feels and sounds more natural. Some config issues have been fixed as well.

Fitting the engine volumes, frequencies, background noises:

Added multiple entries to the configs for better fitting volumes between engine and background noises. Still needs some tweaking, some are too loud. Though some really cool new sounds got created. For example loud tank noises you can hear from the inside of a tank depending on the current velocity of your vehicle. Means when you drive up a hill you can really hear that with the sounds, as well when your tank tends over when you at the top of a hill and go down the other side again. A video would be better to explain that.

Reworked all tracked vehicle sounds:

So BIS didn't gave all the tanks their unique sounds due to the fact that they just copy&paste'd most of the turret or hulls, which is a shame but no problem to just give them all the same sound sets. So I gave each tank their own sounds. Obviously the Slammer and the M4 Sorcher sounds almost the same since its the same hull, but there is a unique difference in each sound effect. Since the Howitzer turret is way heavier the vehicle sounds heavier. At least thats my interpretation of a natural feeling for those babies. Also the wheeled APC's got new effects, still the Marshal is making trouble for me. Its just a strange way with those high RPM's all the time to get it to sound good. But I'll manage.

Explosions:

I reworked all explosion effects. Not only I've changed the sound but also added a lot of new effects. For example an exploding car should sound different from a exploding tank, right? Also when vehicles explode you can hear metal pieces debris and stuff, but only slightly so it wont be much hearable over higher distances.

Filters:

Thanks to Jones (member of JSRS Studios by now) I got into the filters again. After I first took them totally out of order because I didn't gave them any attention I read up about their usage and how powerful they are actually. All my explosion sounds are affected by the filter techniques by now and the result is quiet promising. Some more tweaking to find the perfect spot is still needed but the first tests were great.

Scripts:

I reworked all scripted distance sounds plus adding a lot of new effects to it. It is working just great, causing no RPT's or lags and brings the ultimate immersion as it did in A2 already. The current script version comes with over 1.100 sound effects just for the distances between 30 and 3000 meters. Thanks to Psychobastard, who is having less time lately but is still a giant help, we tweaked it a bit more to be faster and get the best performance.

New Scripts:

Psycho and I had an idea about adding sounds to explosions as well. Not just the normal explosion sound, but as soon as a explosion is close enough to the player, you can hear loud shrapnels, woosh, debris and dust effects simulating the stuff thats flying around your head when something explodes near you. The script still needs some tweaking and would run faster with an updated CBA version (so we gotta wait for that).

Movement:

I've edited the gear noises of the soldiers just a tiny bit. Less volume to the gear, more volume to the footsteps. The gear noises got decreased with a resonant filter and I've added new smaller details to the sounds. Overall its much more noticeable when someone is running next to you but still withing the same distance (If you sneak, it'll be still working, no worries).

Weaponsounds:

I've added some of the vehicle weapons and covered by now ALL weapons in the game, no matter if vehicle or hand-held. Tanks 120mm cannons are louder, the MX rifles got separated in Compact, Normal, Longrange. I've added smaller details to all weapon effects and made them a bit louder.

Sonic Cracks / Snaps:

I've reworked them all for the normal calibers from 9x21mm to 127x108mm. Bigger rounds like the 20mm HE and bigger I've left the way they are right now. They sound good but does not appear that much while playing infantry, which is mainly what I'm doing^^ Also, each of the 33 calibers got their unique snap effects. It might be not realistic but you could tell by the snap what kinda caliber that is, so in fact what kinda weapon it could be. Also all calibers using "Bullet-By"-FlyBy snaps from a pool of 68 sounds.

Overall:

Overall I would say the game is to 90% covered (besides the Hatchback civil vehicle and the quad [Which sounds good for me already]). The main things that are left to do?

To Do:

-Fixing upcoming RPT's about missing sounds

-Further config tweaking for volumes

-Further script testing in larger MP sessions

-Tweaking some sound effects that fall our of order and does not fit to the rest of the game

-Long Term tests, giant missions over hours (SP/MP) to see how the game reacts to the script (memory leak)

-Signing, adding Keys and Signatures to the addon

-Closed Full Release Test with members of JSRS Studios

After I did a small test in MP the day before yesterday, we've found around 6 different RPT's concerning missing sound effects due to wrong config entries. And thats it! Everything else was working fine except some weird volume problems thats typical for the ArmAverse (I can hear someone reloading over 200 meters away, no matter whats been set in the config, which is normaly 15-30 meters).

We start with our own dedicated server some tests this week. I'll fix the last issues I've found last weekend and will sign the addon for internal closed MP tests. We might need some people for the stress tests, and since I have my certain fellas around, I'll contact some of you guys here or on Skype with the Link of the mod and the IP to the server ;)

So thats it, a little UPDATE so to speak. I really should start recording some of the results since they are quiet good already. As soon as the closed tests are finished we are ready to go for the full release!

Thank you very much!

LJ

Great to see you still working on this LJ.

One suggestion regarding the scripting though, is it possible to put an 'alive' check for the distance scripts? As in A2 if you die and go into spectator mode or whatever the distance scripts still work but it's based on your now dead body instead of the camera.

This is easily fixed by using positionCameraToWorld [0,0,0] instead of getpos player or whatever you guys use atm to work out position of the player.

so for example:

if (alive player) then {

_pos = getpos player;

}

else

{

_pos = positionCameraToWorld [0,0,0];

};

Great to see you still working on this LJ.

One suggestion regarding the scripting though, is it possible to put an 'alive' check for the distance scripts? As in A2 if you die and go into spectator mode or whatever the distance scripts still work but it's based on your now dead body instead of the camera.

This is easily fixed by using positionCameraToWorld [0,0,0] instead of getpos player or whatever you guys use atm to work out position of the player.

so for example:

if (alive player) then {

_pos = getpos player;

}

else

{

_pos = positionCameraToWorld [0,0,0];

};

We use a "getPosATL _weapon" and play the sound at that location via Say3D ;)

LJ

many thanks for this detailed report! I am waiting with playing all these nice sp missions out there till 2.0 is released :)

Can't wait for the complete work, it sounds awesome just from reading it! :D

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 4

We use a "getPosATL _weapon" and play the sound at that location via Say3D ;)

LJ

Nah nah I mean like this:

_dist = player distance _weapon;

in macros.sqf

this works fine when you're alive but if you're using a camera of any sort it will always use the players body. so for example you could be spectating someone who's 1km away and he fires his rifle and you get the usual fire sound + the echo you'd hear from your corpse a few seconds later.

not a big deal but it's pretty easy to fix

edit: i'll do it for you if you'd like it's only a few lines to check the cameras position instead of the players if they're dead or using a camera.

Edited by Kerc Kasha

Why is he getting a warning for his question? Isn't that a bit harsh guys? :( You judge to fast these days...

It's not the first, nor the last time. I guess mods are living in some different reality, anyway thanks for answering - cant wait. :)

It's not the first, nor the last time. I guess mods are living in some different reality, anyway thanks for answering - cant wait. :)

We're all excited about any new info for JSRS, we can all agree on that. But at the same time, we all agree to the forum rules when we post here as well.

§5) §10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask.

§18) No public discussion on how the forum is moderated

If you have questions/complaints/comments about the forum or moderators please PM them to a moderator, we will do our utmost to reply to any that we receive. If you have an issue that you feel cannot be solved by another moderator then please PM the head moderator (Placebo), he will be happy to look into the matter. You may also ask your questions in the "Ask a mod" thread; however that thread is not to be used to attack/rant against specific moderators or about specific rules but more for questions/answers.

Edited by TheCapulet

Any future plans to give the comanche more specialized sounds?

If I heard this coming overhead I would run for cover.

@Kerc Kasha PM me the update Macro file so I can see the difference for all the others we having right now. And thanks for your help mate ;)

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

First: Get well soon LJ, that is the most important thing

Second: The video Wanderzz posted is awesome. I like how you can hear the howling of the tail rotor from this point onwards:

Gives this helicopter a very distinctive sound.

Third: Count me in for the MP testing, I guess I would be able to bring a few more guys from my group if it should be needed.

First: Get well soon LJ, that is the most important thing

Second: The video Wanderzz posted is awesome. I like how you can hear the howling of the tail rotor from this point onwards:

Gives this helicopter a very distinctive sound.

Third: Count me in for the MP testing, I guess I would be able to bring a few more guys from my group if it should be needed.

First: Thanks

Second: I'll download the video and see if I can create something similar

Third: You are always welcome my friend! You know that ;)

Ich sollte dir mal eine Kopie zukommen lassen, ich konnte mich bislang immer auf dein Urteil verlassen. Die Version welche momentan auf unserem Server ist, ist bereits wieder veraltet, ich arbeite im moment wie ein Tornado an der Sache ;) Wenn wir eine Stable und gute Version oben haben, schick ich dir ne PM!

LJ

Hey LJ, I had an idea, again.

Is it possible to detect if it is raining ingame and to play other movement sounds if yes? Imagine if you heard yourself run through puddles when it is raining instead of dry concrete, or mud instead of dry earth.

Imagine if you could add some sort of rain sound around vehicels.

The new rain would become so much more immersive :)

Great idea! It would sound really good, inside and outside of vehicles.

Can't heard any explosion sound :(

Oh, wait, me first: I sit in my car but it wont drive, whats the problem?^^

@Rain-Idea:

If that would be possible without scripting I would say lets go for it, but unfortunately I dont think there is a way. I'll have a look though ;)

LJ

?? what?

I shoot AT and rockets in Pawnee but there was no explosion sound. Did i missed something?

?? what?

I shoot AT and rockets in Pawnee but there was no explosion sound. Did i missed something?

Wich mods are you running? Did you set the sample rate to the max level?

Wich mods are you running? Did you set the sample rate to the max level?

Better to ask how far was the distance between you and the explosion.

@kgino1045: The helicopters get affected by filters called "AttenuationsEffects". So the outside sounds are muffled for most vehicles and sounds like weapons and explosions are really quiet. That might be the reason. :)

And to my "I sit in my car" thingy: This is how your post came across. Just "This is not working!" without ANY kind of information. If you have a problem please state a more detailed post, WHAT is not working, WHEN, WHERE, SP, MP, other Mods involved. More details and we can figure it out faster. Just saying that something isn't working does not help you, nor me!

Jees I mean I could've said: "Turn on your speaker." :D No offense, just saying for future issues. Ok mate?

Thank you!

LJ

Better to ask how far was the distance between you and the explosion.

@kgino1045: The helicopters get affected by filters called "AttenuationsEffects". So the outside sounds are muffled for most vehicles and sounds like weapons and explosions are really quiet. That might be the reason. :)

And to my "I sit in my car" thingy: This is how your post came across. Just "This is not working!" without ANY kind of information. If you have a problem please state a more detailed post, WHAT is not working, WHEN, WHERE, SP, MP, other Mods involved. More details and we can figure it out faster. Just saying that something isn't working does not help you, nor me!

Jees I mean I could've said: "Turn on your speaker." :D No offense, just saying for future issues. Ok mate?

Thank you!

LJ

Now i figured what you mean. my bad

I download your JSRS addons at your site

and shoot the AT to about 100m

I can hear nice fancy shot sound but there was no explosion sound

I test to my friend (who install exactly same as me) he also said can hear shot sound but no explosion sound

I even shot to him nearly 2m but he got hurt with out sound.

same as happned in Pawnee

I download all your JSRS 0.001 to 0.75