Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS2.0 WIP Thread

What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?

• Stereo (or Headphones)
    • 5.1 Audio System
    • Stereo due to TeamSpeak/ACRE

By far the best sound mod out for ArmA 3. This mod really brings the game to life for me. Everything is awesome! Only 'issues' I've run into is: you can hear birds chirping at night (although not entirely unrealistic), Blackfoot gunner turret shooting sound at a very close range sounds like a sound effect that is more designed for hearing from a longer distance, the sound of a helicopter being destroyed sounds too long doesn't feel right at all if you hit the ground before the sound ends, and I generally just don't like the Blufor sniper sounds and the Hunter sounds. Might be preference.

• You can hear birds chirping at night (although not entirely unrealistic)
  • Blackfoot gunner turret shooting sound at a very close range sounds like a sound effect that is more designed for hearing from a longer distance (sounds amazing from a distance though)
  • The sound of a helicopter being destroyed sounds too long doesn't feel right at all if you hit the ground before the sound ends
  • I generally just don't like the Blufor sniper sounds and the Hunter sounds (sniper doesn't sound like it packs much of a punch and the hunter sounds more like an 18 wheeler

Aside from that, the bullet cracks and explosions, and even the active gear sounds, are really awesome. Very well done and I can't wait for more! :D

Thank you for your feedback Phronk! Thats the way I appreciate it!

As I stated in my Dev Diary Thread:

So let me quickly list up what has been done during this week:

I actually started soundmodding the MBT's and started with the T100 Varsuk. I actually named all vehicles now by their ingame names and probably will also change the existing ones for a better overview. Tracked_APC_1 isn't working out so good icon_e_smile.gif

The Varsuk is a big tank and needs a heavy bassy sound obviously. I actually managed to add a dynamic bass frequency that will get louder the more we step on the throttle. I actually did that with most vehicles but on the tanks I think it should get louder.

Overall the tracks are very loud right now and kinda over-sound the rest of the tank a bit, might need to change that. Also I noticed that the Varsuk is basically the same tank (hull) as the 2S6 Sorcher with just a different turret. So I'll going to use the same sounds for the Sorcher as for the Varsuk. Same goes for the Merkava kinda tank, the M2A1 Slammer which is the same hull as the M4 Scorcher.

The ZSU-30 Tigri gets the BTR sounds and the IFV Cheetah the Panther sounds. The M5 Sandstorm will have it own sound effects.

So now dont think I'm lazy but actually those tanks are all the same with either different setup or different turrets.

So, what else happened: I made the BMW X5-like car, the SUV. It was really fun having an AI driver and let him driving through Altis while I watched out of the windows with my Track IR and ate popcorn. Also I started to work on the VAN, this Iveco transporter-like vehicle. Didn't worked out so far but the sounds are in, just need config tweaking.

All in all thats most of the stuff I did this week. Mostly going to continue by this weekend.

Also, I gotta admit, I'm not so sure if the next step (0.1) is really going to make it or if I go straight for the Beta. The Beta would be closed for a week or two so my team have the time to test it on our servers. After that, and if most errors disappeared I'll release is and will provide a JSRS server to test in MP. Why only on my server? Because this way we have full control and overview of RPT's of Server and Player and can fix upcoming issues or performance problems. After a testing time of maybe a week I'll provide an Update with new keys to all.

[/Quote]

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

Went through the whole thread. Must use my Statistic lessons in some intelligent way! :D

I'll wait for 0.1 before downloading, can't wait.

Yay!

Actually... some may follow my Dev Diary on my forums. As I stated there it seems I have like 90% of the games content covered already. Missing things are two vehicles and some firing modes on some weapons. Minus the bugs and issues that may appear in the testing phase I would say... JSRS is more than 0.1 already. Due to the fact that BIS actually share hull and weapons with most vehicles I covered everything already... I'm a bit disappointed to be honest...

So actually we'll do a closed testing phase withing the next two weeks and then... believe it our not... JSRS would be FINAL!!!

Can't believe I've covered the whole in just one month Oo

LJ

Actually... some may follow my Dev Diary on my forums. As I stated there it seems I have like 90% of the games content covered already. Missing things are two vehicles and some firing modes on some weapons. Minus the bugs and issues that may appear in the testing phase I would say... JSRS is more than 0.1 already. Due to the fact that BIS actually share hull and weapons with most vehicles I covered everything already... I'm a bit disappointed to be honest...

So actually we'll do a closed testing phase withing the next two weeks and then... believe it our not... JSRS would be FINAL!!!

LJ

DO we need more evidence that A³ has way less content than A²?

LJ

that's because they copied a lot of things :(

im also disappointed.

A2 FTW

LJ

I am so happy! :D

If you need help of any sort with testing count me in.

Yay!

I noticed that the door guns on the Ghosthawk still use vanilla sound effects. I'm not sure if you've replaced/worked on it by now, but the sound could use a more "brrrrrt" sound and definitely needs to be louder. In order for people to hear the guns firing outside of the helicopter, you need to be within 100 meters.

Also, this is more of a request than a suggestion, but if the Jet cannon firing sound could be changed to sound like an A10 (especially if it has the delayed sound effect for people on the ground) I'd love you forever.

Either way, the mod is awesome and really look forward to the release soon! <3

I have to admit that JSRS revived Arma 2 for me a year ago, when I came back to the game ... restarted to play right away. That sound mod just revive the game in a fresh new way. It is my #1 mod.

I am already a little bored by A3, mostly due to the lack on content. But I know that your mod will bring me back to it at the exact moment it will be released!

Without it, the firefight feel blend,empty and out of passion ...

---------- Post added at 19:35 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Also, this is more of a request than a suggestion, but if the Jet cannon firing sound could be changed to sound like an A10 (especially if it has the delayed sound effect for people on the ground) I'd love you forever.

Either way, the mod is awesome and really look forward to the release soon! <3

I have to admit that the first time I heard a distant A-10 firing its main gun in Arma 2 (with the JSRS mod install), I had the goosebumbs. I thought the sound effects were so good, that I was constructing large battles in the editor ...setting myself as a civilian on a nearby hill to just watch the show in peace.

Edited by frag

What about distant sound effects? That's one of the coolest features in A2's JSRS, not sure if it's in A3 yet but it wasn't last time I checked.

What about distant sound effects? That's one of the coolest features in A2's JSRS, not sure if it's in A3 yet but it wasn't last time I checked.

Its not in ArmA3 and as I know BIS it never will. JSRS2.0 will have it of course!!! ;)

Thanks guys,

LJ

Thx to LJ ARMA3 will be a better place to live on XD

well..i would say the opposite:

"Tnx to LJ ArmA 3 will be -Far worst- place to live..at last" ;)

I simply love this mod. I never expected it to change the feeling of immersion so much. It's just such an improvement over stock sounds. My only gripe with it is that there's so little servers that allow the mod. Why don't more servers allow it? What is your experience with Arma 2 servers and JSRS mod? Will eventually more servers allow the mod?

I'm just concerned that this great sound mod will remain disallowed on most of the servers.

We allow JSRS on our server as we all love it. Patiently waiting for a signed key though. More servers will allow once this is released, I'm sure.

One small request LJ: can you fix the pathetic horn sounds please?! I'm embarrassed by all vehicles horns, and the trucks should have air horns.

All I can say, from what I've heard from my time in ArmA2, about 90% were using JSRS. I think we had around 1 million downloads of JSRS1.5 this year. I can say, as soon as we have the full version (keyed) running with all issues and errors gone, more servers will allow it, though JSRS will be independent, which means you can join what ever server you like, if or if not allowed (At least in theory).

Thank you!

LJ

A bit off topic, but what does a key actually do If you can already use it on servers that allows the mod?

Just curious.

A server can be set up to let anyone in with any mods, or only accept mods that it holds a current signed key for, or not let any mods at all on clients that try to join.

if you let any mods on your clients, your going to have a bad time with script kiddies spawning stuff and causing havoc. I.e. You could join a server while running the MCC sandbox and create what you like.

the best solution is for the server owner to gather signed keys of mods he will allow, and install them on the server. Any modified files that try to join the server will be checked, and if they don't have an accepted signed key installed, they don't get in.

as most big mods are still in beta phase (like JSRS) they haven't got signed keys yet, so most servers at the moment are just not allowing any mods, to stay safe.

hope that answers your off topic question.

Back to harassing LordJarHead to get 2.0 finished and released. I'm certain most of the A3 community will allow JSRS on their servers when that happens.

One small request LJ: can you fix the pathetic horn sounds please?! I'm embarrassed by all vehicles horns, and the trucks should have air horns.

HAH! I might be able to do something about it, sure ;)

LJ

A server can be set up to let anyone in with any mods, or only accept mods that it holds a current signed key for, or not let any mods at all on clients that try to join.

if you let any mods on your clients, your going to have a bad time with script kiddies spawning stuff and causing havoc. I.e. You could join a server while running the MCC sandbox and create what you like.

the best solution is for the server owner to gather signed keys of mods he will allow, and install them on the server. Any modified files that try to join the server will be checked, and if they don't have an accepted signed key installed, they don't get in.

as most big mods are still in beta phase (like JSRS) they haven't got signed keys yet, so most servers at the moment are just not allowing any mods, to stay safe.

hope that answers your off topic question.

Back to harassing LordJarHead to get 2.0 finished and released. I'm certain most of the A3 community will allow JSRS on their servers when that happens.

Get it now, thanks!

Can't wait for the release aswell! :)