Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS2.0 WIP Thread

What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?  

305 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer? Stereo or 5.1 audio systems?

• Stereo (or Headphones)
    • 5.1 Audio System
    • Stereo due to TeamSpeak/ACRE

Seeing JSRS and AI developments going on makes me feel that ArmA III will be complete again. Many thanks!

LordJarhead, would it be ok for me to ask where you got the sources for these new gun sounds? Did you get them from previously recorded audio of firearms or have you yourself gone out and recorded live fire? Are some of these from movies or other video games that you have since "remastered"? I'm honestly interested in the making of this mod. :)

Thank you all for your kind posts :) Much appreciated!

Yeah I ran into a few problems with the explosions due to a config issue and some missing sounds. So I reworked all explosion sounds today and they are all working finally. Also create a new pbo called "JSRS2_Explosives" the difference between that one and the Explosions folder is maybe obviously: The new PBO contains all kinds of Explosives, Satchels and Sarges sounds. Means: Explosion sounds for explosive, trigger sounds, activation sounds and deactivation sounds. Sorted by the type of satchel. Mines, Directional and AP's, IEDs, TripWires and Underwater. Sadly, SADLY, BIS did not made decent animations for those explosives, its just a stupid "putting it down and picking it up" animation, so making some cool sounds for deactivation for example where you hear how the soldier is opening the IED, cutting the wire or what ever, it doesn't make sense now.

So yeah, next update contains new explosions, all working now (AT, Missiles, Vehicles). Also I looked over your post GiorgyGR and I gave each sound a little bit more of a punch at the start. Due to the new stereo sounds I'll need some more tweaking to the configs I believe but it sounds decent already.

The silencers are not a problem to give a decent sound to them, the only problem we had was that the script was still playing inroom and distance effects for those weapons since the base class of the weapon which the script addresses the sounds to, did not change when you put a silencer on. But Psycho is about to change that as he's a REAL help when it comes to scripting. I bring my ideas to the table and his only response is "Nothing is impossible!" :) I guess that's what JSRS1.5 stood for in its golden times as no one believed in distance effects what so ever.

So yeah, to keep it short, I'll tweak my stuff a bit more and well, during the day you'll get the new explosion sounds :) Also a MX with more of a punch. Might not sound like the original, but I really like the new one.

LJ

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

LordJarhead, would it be ok for me to ask where you got the sources for these new gun sounds? Did you get them from previously recorded audio of firearms or have you yourself gone out and recorded live fire? Are some of these from movies or other video games that you have since "remastered"? I'm honestly interested in the making of this mod. :)

Hey,

well, most was from YouTube (believe it our not) and some (around 25%) were self recorded. Never use Game, Movie or Film sounds. Today, all my JSRS2.0 stuff gets created from my own creations I did over the years. Mainly I use JSRS1.5 to create JSRS2.0 :) Some will notice ;) So yeah, I can say I live from my own library these days, which is really cool due to the fact that I dont need other sources anymore...

LJ

Edited by LordJarhead

no im looking forward to the big update even more :) gimmie gimmie gimmie :)

Someone mentioned it. I also think the thunders sound like a short crash of a car into a house... I don't like it.

UPDATE 0.01

Yes, we skipped a 0!

The next update contains the new explosion sounds, mostly reworked. They are loud now, so be careful when you place your IED's and what not, you dont wanna be blown up AND left behind with no hearing^^

Changelog:

Added: New Explosives PBO's. Containing Activation, Deactivation and Trigger sounds for Explosives

Added: Separated Explosives Config

Changed: Explosion sounds, all of them

Changed: MX rifle got a little bit more of a punch now

Fixed: Missing Movement sounds

The donwload, as usually, is on my website.

So, I think the next update will be kinda bigger and containing all "Cars". I dont mean cars, I mean the class Cars, means Hunter, Ifrit, Truck, HMETT, and so on. The vehicle are hard to make but manageable. I'll keep you up to date! Oh and as soon as the scripts will be implemented, we'll going to 0.1 and the first pack release.

Thanks a bunch guys, have fun!

LJ

I like the new explosion sounds. Many thanks for the update. Sorry to say that but some of the gunsounds have not much punch and energy, they are a little bit like clapping your hand :p. I prefer the original ones, for example the mxm 6,5, marksman west. I hope this kind of feedback is welcome.

I like the new explosion sounds. Many thanks for the update. Sorry to say that but some of the gunsounds have not much punch and energy, they are a little bit like clapping your hand :p. I prefer the original ones, for example the mxm 6,5, marksman west. I hope this kind of feedback is welcome.

Heh, no problem, can't please everyone ;)

Just downloaded the new update, not hearing any new MX sounds though? Just me?

As said, it just got a little more of a punch while the sound stays the way it was :)

LJ

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

LJ should be a dev

Not the first time I've heard that, wont be the last :P

Hey Jarhead, what settings do you use to port to wss... I cannot figure out the sound types to create Audio mods... it never plays any noise for me :\

Is there a way of putting this mod w/steam workshop? So your work can get auto updated onto our rigs. If not it's not a big deal, I've been manually doing it for years.

When are we going to see server keys for your mod?

Is there a way of putting this mod w/steam workshop? So your work can get auto updated onto our rigs. If not it's not a big deal, I've been manually doing it for years.

When are we going to see server keys for your mod?

He's already said that he doesn't want his mod on Workshop a few times

Mh I somehow found the old MX sounds more convincing. I found they sounded punchier. Also - now it feels all MX rifles sound quite the same=/ Or this just me?

And the explosions have some strange behavior. Some explosions sound loud some a little more silent.

Also the rocket explosions from the little bird dont feel right=/ And they dont scale with distance right. If they are next to you they are loud as hell. One meter more and they are silent as a baby.

Also the APDFs shells from the light armor have the same sounds as the HE shells. And they feel a bit off in my opinion. Arma 2s BMP sounds from JSRS sounded more fitting.

I am sure you will deliver great results when your mod is finished=) Just giving feedback

Hey Jarhead, what settings do you use to port to wss... I cannot figure out the sound types to create Audio mods... it never plays any noise for me :\

Nope. We have our feelings and concerns with the Workshop right now. Perhaps in the far, far future, but highly doubtful. We have our preferences on how to handle JSRS, and the Steam Workshop isn't on that list in all honesty.

Yokhanan- wrong quote ftw? lol, but yes-posted in the 1st post SpanishSurfer about SWS :cool:

I use an WSSFileConverter, works for me since A1 ;)

Mh I somehow found the old MX sounds more convincing. I found they sounded punchier. Also - now it feels all MX rifles sound quite the same=/ Or this just me?

And the explosions have some strange behavior. Some explosions sound loud some a little more silent.

Also the rocket explosions from the little bird dont feel right=/ And they dont scale with distance right. If they are next to you they are loud as hell. One meter more and they are silent as a baby.

Also the APDFs shells from the light armor have the same sounds as the HE shells. And they feel a bit off in my opinion. Arma 2s BMP sounds from JSRS sounded more fitting.

I am sure you will deliver great results when your mod is finished=) Just giving feedback

All MX rifles sound the same, they are all the same kinda weapon, sure some differences here and there, but I'm far away from going this much into details. Yes, the explosions sounds getting handled weirdly by the engine due to the stereo sounds. I might get this tweaked out by changing config values, if not, I gotta think about something else.

I mainly overworked the explosions placeholders I had, so I didn't got that much into the details on what grenade sounds like what and so on. Also the filters are not in the game, the ones I wrote. So lets keep the ball on the ground for now :)

Oh and to that Workshop thingy: NO WAY! I ask you to simply do it like in the old days or just leave, but hell no, I wont join that club! And please, no more discussion about that! :)

Thank you!

LJ

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Yokhanan- wrong quote ftw? lol, but yes-posted in the 1st post SpanishSurfer about SWS :cool:

Shit happens^^

Edited by LordJarhead

I use an WSSFileConverter, works for me since A1 ;)

All MX rifles sound the same, they are all the same kinda weapon, sure some differences here and there, but I'm far away from going this much into details. Yes, the explosions sounds getting handled weirdly by the engine due to the stereo sounds. I might get this tweaked out by changing config values, if not, I gotta think about something else.

I mainly overworked the explosions placeholders I had, so I didn't got that much into the details on what grenade sounds like what and so on. Also the filters are not in the game, the ones I wrote. So lets keep the ball on the ground for now :)

Oh and to that Workshop thingy: NO WAY! I ask you to simply do it like in the old days or just leave, but hell no, I wont join that club! And please, no more discussion about that! :)

Thank you!

LJ

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Shit happens^^

oh, i meant like... do you use .wav 16bit stereo etc... I convert my wav files to wss and not work...

Great work so far, very nice.

Any chance for any future updates you could include signs and keys with it so we can use it safely on servers?

Nope, I agree with you, the first MX sound was the best, but, well, its his mod. :)

I disagree honestly I think it added a lot to the mx series. Just my opinion

I want to say that mod is on the right track.

I was on a mission yesterday..and suddenly a mortar explode about 50m from me ..and i jumped saying WTF!!

:cc:

"Go home tired, you're Yokhanan" :P