Sign in to follow this  
forzajuve

[SP CAMP] Liberation of Chernarus

I've continued playing (sorry for not being quicker, had other duties^^), so I can say something about other missions:

Guardian Angel: Actually very good mission, was fun to play. The arty script is sometimes a bit sloppy, I could set the target and call a fire mission but no shells were fired. Maybe I clicked too fast. But that is bearable. You should however set the observer (the AI in the player's team) from danger to aware again after the job is done, because he will not move quickly enough. The helicopter can be reached perfectly in time when the players runs through immediately and without stopping, otherwise the chopper will be too early and has to wait. If the player gets in without his teammate, the chopper will set off, hover a while and the mission will end before the other guy gets in. Not really a showstopper, but could be made to appear a bit more realistic.

Battle of Zelenogorsk: Utter crap. Sorry but can't express it otherwise. Game starts, FPS are extremely low (I had around 7 fps, I may not have the latest and greatest rig anymore, but usually I get at least 3 or 4 times that number; and no, I didn't play with any mods that might bog down the performance), so that's the first time I got a slight feeling of disappointment. I'm a grunt in the woods, my squad has a move order 100m towards the target. I hear artillery and tanks, and maybe 5 seconds later the game autosaves (why?). I keep going and when I reach the edge of the forest half a minute later, I get the task completion message "zelenogorsk has been taken". Wow, that was a hard fight for me... No wait, half a minute more, and the whole town is being artied and goes up in smoke (that must be the 6:32 barrage as given in the notes). I keep unit cohesion and stay in the forest, like about a hundred other marine inf, and think about whether I really should keep playing this 7 fps ordeal... nevermind, I give it a try... 6:34 (ingame time), my squad and the other marines withdraw towards the SE (opposite direction of the next task Sosnovka), then more to the east, hold at 134107. 6:40, we move back toward the west, having made no contact yet at all (not surprising because the fighting is taking place some 800m away behind the hill). 6:43, we have reached the point where we started the mission, meanwhile I'm starting to feel really dizzy because of the 7fps. 6:44, my squad has made contact and went into danger move, i.e. is not moving much anymore. This could take while... from the edge of the forest, I start sniping a few guys that I can see in town. 6:52, I'm called back to 128108. FPS meanwhile have improved a little to now 9 fps. 7:00 my squad and me are roaming around int he forest somewhere around 128108, I have no idea why, but I'm just a Private, what do I have to know... 7:03, my squad had dropped out of "danger" wmeanwhile, so we could move faster and got to 134107 again. FPS have improved dramatically now, are back up at around 20 finally. We are now moving towards Zelenogorsk, half a mile down the slope over totally open terrain, usually a very deadly approach, but gladly the town has been cleared by other marine forces meanwhile, so this is just deadly boring. As we get closer to town, fps drop again, are now a round 12. 7:09, my squad fired the first shot! there must be a few stragglers left in town obviously. 7:13 we reached town, fps are a bit better again, around 14. 7:28, finally someone actually shot at me, that makes it a little less boring. Reached the gas station now, and fps are better (around 18) when I don't look back into the town. I have died now once, but why is there a script that immendiately ends the mission? Why not use the default menu that kicks in when the player is dead and allows to load the last savegame? No, because of that script, I have to quit and resume, very weird GUI behaviour. I don't need an advice that I dead and that I should try again, that idea came to my mind on my own. Nevermind, I keep playing... finally the mission evolves into one of those standard "clear the town" missions, playable, although nothing special.

So if anyone whats to play that mission, please do something else for an hour after mission start before you go back on the computer.

Dolina's Misery: Why on earth are there G36 and M8 in the briefing weapon pool? Not exactly FR equipment as far as I know. Funny dialogue at the start, good job with that. The chopper is lifting up immediately after I am being disembarked, so the rest of the team has to disembark again which takes a while which means that the other squads have already advanced a few hundred meters. Bad start I'd say, but I could catch up before reaching Dolina. Mission goes well, I took silenced M4 and flanked on the left via the metal barn. Nice surprise with the civilian coming out of a house, good for the atmosphere. Also later good dialogues and good game play. Using the mod Arma Electrical Grids allowed to switch off the lights in the town before assaulting, very helpful since most of the enemies don't have NV. Definitely one of the best missions so far.

will write more when I have time to continue playing.

sorry haven't been able to reply in a while, been busy etc.

@IcyDennis, thanks for comment :)

@xxbbcc ok as I've said I'm not a military tactical expert and I made these missions as 'fun' (or my opinion of fun), not to be representations of real combat and perfect tactics. as for mission one, sometimes it's just luck that you don't run into any soldiers in the woods because there are at least 2-3 patrols there and not sure how you missed 3 full squads on the airfield + the reinforcements. as for the fog, I have never experienced any problems with it and neither has anyone else said this, and it was often described as a nice effect even on ofpec so you should probably reconsider your opinion on that. it is a popular fog script from rockhount so look it up if you like. obviously you have a different perception of fun which is realism and that is completely fine, but as I've said before I don't think it's fair to criticise this campaign because it isn't what you want it to be.

@brainbug with the arty script just press it once and it will work fine, sometimes it doesn't work properly if you close the map after using radio and not clicking I think. as for the ai squad leader, I will look into that but I'm fairly sure his behaviour wasn't even set so it might be an ai 'error' or something but i'll look into it.

for BoZ, I can see where you're coming from but you might have missed the point. it's not like specops where you are supposed to be the center of the mission, this is just part of the storytelling and showcase of a larger campaign and you are just supposed to be one small guy in a big battle. regarding AI behaviour mine usually works ok, going to forest staying there for a while then moving slightly left across the field, then into the town and up the hill to the second town. but as you know vanilla arma 2 ai isn't always perfect or the best. the missions usually takes me about an hour so maybe that is too long (?), but I thought it was fun. the timing of the completion of the first objective is usually different, since it depends on AI and you shouldn't expect it to depend on what you do being just a 'pawn'.

as for the lag, i've tested it on my system (with no background programs running) on about med-high settings 1440x900 with 2.66ghz core2duo, 2gb ram and ati 3850 512mb and I basically have no lag, besides a little at the start but usually by the time arty is done it's fine. maybe you guys need to lower your settings :p also regarding the script that ends the mission, that must be a bug because I implemented a thing where you can just load your save when you die instead of ending the mission which was what happened originally. i must have made an error or missed that mission by accident.

for dolina's misery, that is probably one of my favourite missions and there are others like it so keep playing if you like it. glad you liked the dialogs also :) you are under no obligation to play all of the missions so if you want you can skip the 'big battle' missions with the endmission cheat as they are relatively similar compared to the others.

tip regarding the heli, tell your squad to disembark just before the heli lands and it will work perfectly. and sorry for giving you too many options in weapon selection... lol

hi, v1.1 coming soon. a few small bug fixes and some small tweaks based on previous suggestions. Mission #14 (Berezino Defense) will be removed.

---------- Post added 01-20-2014 at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-19-2014 at 11:11 PM ----------

v1.1 up! (check first post)

download link here too:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/t79jbht9vw2sx3t/Liberation%20of%20Chernarus1.1.rar

Edited by ForzaJuve

Just a heads up, v1.2 is on the way.

It will include:

-Task hints added in every mission

-Significant changes to some missions

-Further tweaks and enhancements to improve gameplay

-More sounds and some new music

hey guys I will have to release v1.2.1 for two small issues

-fixed issue in mission #7 where the A-10 on occasion will continue attacking targets after initial objective is completed

-fixed issue in mission #8 where squad 'talking' may be disabled for the whole mission. also greatly reduced the probability of this happening in some other missions.

-also stopped enemy squads from patrolling moglievka in mission #7

Edited by ForzaJuve

Nice work, thanks for the update ForzaJuve ! :bounce3:

After installing this campaign I'm getting the following message when entering "Campaings" on the game's menu:

No Entry

Campaigns\LiberationofChernarus1.2.1.pbo\description.ext.Campaign

do you have another version of the campaign in your campaigns folder?

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

I just downloaded the campaign and everything seems to be there fine, so it could be that issue for you. Although I did realise I made the silly mistake of PBO'ing the readme in this version but that shouldn't make any difference to whether the campaign is playable.

do you have another version of the campaign in your campaigns folder?

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

I just downloaded the campaign and everything seems to be there fine, so it could be that issue for you. Although I did realise I made the silly mistake of PBO'ing the readme in this version but that shouldn't make any difference to whether the campaign is playable.

Thanks for the reply. I had only this version in my campaigns folder: LiberationofChernarus1.2.1.pbo. I managed to fix it by unpboing the file, and packing a pbo of the folder "Liberation of Chernarus" that was inside. I put that "Liberation of Chernarus" pbo inside my campagin folder and now I can see it in my campaigns list. I think the version on Armaholic is packed wrong, you might want to check that?

Off to play it!! :)

I also have wrong packet version from your link liberationofchernarus121.pbo and inside liberationofchernarus folder.

This one should be packed as packed as pbo. I cant check how look version from armaholic.

yes, I just realised I have packed this wrong I think. sorry about this, I will fix and upload a proper one asap.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

ok repacked version is up, hope it's ok this time. I have notified armaholic also.

Edited by ForzaJuve

Thinking of putting an edited version of mission #14 back in, anyone would like it?

Hi, I just tried the version you provided in that latest mediafire download link and I still have the same error as Variable.

Have you tried the Armaholic version? Let me know

Just an update, remaking it for ArmA 3! 

First mission is available here as a standalone mission