zooloo75

Fire-Fight Improvement System

Awesome to see this mod continue.

What are the chances of addressing the vehicle damage and disembarking issue?

When I go over a few bumps, or make a hard landing, my squad AI wants to disembark at the soonest opportunity. Have a very hard landing or vehicle crash (but no serious injuries) and they won't regroup or follow orders. I've also come across AI squads standing around perfectly servicable vehicles, because they've taken a littel bit of damage. At the moment this is the best for infantry combat, but seems to break anything involving vehicles.

What version? What does your userconfig look like?

Pitt Rivers do you use TPW mod? I've only seen this mysterious dot with TPW mod. I wasn't running FFIS at that time.

Thanks for this great mod, I just tested the new version. Unfortunately my group still gets stuck in combat mode.

Latest version, it only happens on dedicated servers, not locally.

This was TPW FOG that caused the balls. Sorry.

Merry Christmas everyone!

I am starting the development of FFIS II right now!

Merry Christmas everyone! I am starting the develpment of "FFIS V2" right now!

Merry Christmas zooloo75. Any hints on new features?

Merry Christmas zooloo75. Any hints on new features?

I am remaking this from scratch, and all the original features of FFIS will be rewritten to be mostly bug-free.

I will post updates/additions in a new thread once I have a good build to release.

Here's a new feature: Every unit will have their own set of variables assigned by FFIS, one of which is stress. Stress will determine many behavioural calculations in FFIS II and can be caused by factors such as being suppressed, running, or firing. Higher stress = higher chance of losing control or panicking. Stress is also scaled by the unit's skill; high skilled units will be able to control their stress better than low skilled units.

Edited by zooloo75

Go for it, its open source! I've commented most of my script changes which should make it easy to see what I've done. I think the waypoint stuff needs further testing though... I'm still having issues with the Campaign.

Can others please test the first mission from the campaign with JUST FFIS v1.25 and see if they can get through.

After the first FireFight Adams just legs it for Baldy I think and doesn't follow the ridgeline for the second contact. I even unpacked the campaign mission to check how they coded it and can't workout why he ignores his programmed waypoints.

tried it with waypoints. After the first firefight my team lead was stuck in combat and was prone crawling towards X-ray. After 10 minutes I lost patience and quit the mission.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 ----------

Also, is there a needed load order to have this work with AI Cover and TPW mods?

Zoo,

Holy stink, this mod is awesome! It has got TONS of potential, but I thought I'd drop off my thoughts on it so far. I'm going to critique specific issues, but I first want to say quite loudly that I greatly, GREATLY appreciate the fact there are options to customize my experience. I just wanted to let you know why I often choose to turn certain ones off, and maybe help refine the product with some constructive criticism.

Waypoints. I find myself turning them off, otherwise my map becomes a confused mess of bold black lines. I'm not entirely certain what the benefit of that part of the mod is. Maybe I'm just missing the point.

Smoke. This one I'm on the fence about, but I generally end up turning it off. It seems like there's always one or two smoke grenades cooking off, even when my intuition says it's a bad idea. Good example of this occurred when my squad (a larger group) ambushed a smaller group of enemy, and even though we were attaining fire superiority (those LMGs are magic now), my boys popped some smoke, cutting our vision and actually helping the AI. I know we can't script for EVERY situation, but it feels like we should have more control over this. My first thought was to add a "pop smoke" command to units, which the SL can order (and AI SL's will order it time to time), thus giving us more control while keeping the AI chucking smoke like professionals.

Evasive Animations. Great idea which adds character to gunfights, but, generally, I've run into an issue which keep me turning this off. The AI is clearly not optimized for these animations. I watched a bad guy just kind of... Cowboy Line Dance his way through a concrete wall to safety when I rounded a corner and started shooting at him. I actually had to stop for a second before I understood what I'd just seen. At other times, the AI will stop running through an open field to... hurdle an unseen obstacle? Wait, did that guy on the far left just... bunny hop? All very distracting and sometimes silly. Again, a great idea, but I just don't see the value.

Crawling. (This one's not a feature, as far as I can tell) I don't know what's up here, but it seems that after every firefight, there's one or two of my AI squaddies who insist on crawling. Sure, I can order them to stand, but then they will NEVER lay down as long as that order stands. The second I allow them to "copy my stance" (and pick their own posture) they go right back to crawling. This can be a real pain in the neck, as it adds a whole extra level of micro-management, and severely breaks the suspension of disbelief ("immersion"). I know the AI in ARMA can be best described as "schizophrenic", but this issue only seems to happen with FFIS installed.

Those are the only three issues I have, but that final one, the "Crawling" issue, is what keeps me scratching my head the hardest. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: I'm using version 1.1.0.1, off Six Updater.

Edited by Submarine_Sandwich

A couple of quick questions if I could please:

For multiplayer where everyone ahs this mod will putting SS_FFIS_BLEEDOUTS = false; in the missions init file disable that function or does everyone need to set that? The reason I ask is that we use FFIS and the Xmed system and I believe the FFIS bleedout is causing a few issues with the xmed bleedout function.

Second: I'm not sure if this is FFIS or xmed related however recently we have been noticing bodies disappearing, the host can still see all however for everyone else bodies seem to be disappearing even though there is no cleanup script in the mission?

Cheers

V

Zoo,

Holy stink, this mod is awesome! It has got TONS of potential, but I thought I'd drop off my thoughts on it so far. I'm going to critique specific issues, but I first want to say quite loudly that I greatly, GREATLY appreciate the fact there are options to customize my experience. I just wanted to let you know why I often choose to turn certain ones off, and maybe help refine the product with some constructive criticism.

Waypoints. I find myself turning them off, otherwise my map becomes a confused mess of bold black lines. I'm not entirely certain what the benefit of that part of the mod is. Maybe I'm just missing the point.

Smoke. This one I'm on the fence about, but I generally end up turning it off. It seems like there's always one or two smoke grenades cooking off, even when my intuition says it's a bad idea. Good example of this occurred when my squad (a larger group) ambushed a smaller group of enemy, and even though we were attaining fire superiority (those LMGs are magic now), my boys popped some smoke, cutting our vision and actually helping the AI. I know we can't script for EVERY situation, but it feels like we should have more control over this. My first thought was to add a "pop smoke" command to units, which the SL can order (and AI SL's will order it time to time), thus giving us more control while keeping the AI chucking smoke like professionals.

Evasive Animations. Great idea which adds character to gunfights, but, generally, I've run into an issue which keep me turning this off. The AI is clearly not optimized for these animations. I watched a bad guy just kind of... Cowboy Line Dance his way through a concrete wall to safety when I rounded a corner and started shooting at him. I actually had to stop for a second before I understood what I'd just seen. At other times, the AI will stop running through an open field to... hurdle an unseen obstacle? Wait, did that guy on the far left just... bunny hop? All very distracting and sometimes silly. Again, a great idea, but I just don't see the value.

Crawling. (This one's not a feature, as far as I can tell) I don't know what's up here, but it seems that after every firefight, there's one or two of my AI squaddies who insist on crawling. Sure, I can order them to stand, but then they will NEVER lay down as long as that order stands. The second I allow them to "copy my stance" (and pick their own posture) they go right back to crawling. This can be a real pain in the neck, as it adds a whole extra level of micro-management, and severely breaks the suspension of disbelief ("immersion"). I know the AI in ARMA can be best described as "schizophrenic", but this issue only seems to happen with FFIS installed.

Those are the only three issues I have, but that final one, the "Crawling" issue, is what keeps me scratching my head the hardest. What are your thoughts?

Which version are you running?

sttosin,

Whoops! Forgot that in the original post.

Looks like the one I'm using is 1.1.0.1. I use Six Updater, mostly.

sttosin,

Whoops! Forgot that in the original post.

Looks like the one I'm using is 1.1.0.1. I use Six Updater, mostly.

Try one of the newer versions posted by me OR sproyd in this thread. Note; They are different.

Can you run this mod strictly on the server and not on the clients without errors? (v1.25 on armaholic)

Since it was not signed I cannot release it on our Units mod pack.

Thanks guys.

Can you run this mod strictly on the server and not on the clients without errors? (v1.25 on armaholic)

Since it was not signed I cannot release it on our Units mod pack.

Thanks guys.

Not sure if this applies to FFIS, but with most AI mods, the server alone can run them. However if you have AI under your control i.e. a fire team or what not, they may not be affected by the script.

I've noticed recently the AI seem to no longer pop smoke? I think I remember reading in your change log that they did not throw smoke as much any more (and quite rightly so as it was a lot and sometimes not necessary) but now the AI seem to never pop smoke? Am I the only one having this? Is it a known bug or done on purpose? Fantastic mod though. Nothing worse than having a stupid AI to play against.... :j:

Cheers

I've noticed recently the AI seem to no longer pop smoke? I think I remember reading in your change log that they did not throw smoke as much any more (and quite rightly so as it was a lot and sometimes not necessary) but now the AI seem to never pop smoke? Am I the only one having this? Is it a known bug or done on purpose? Fantastic mod though. Nothing worse than having a stupid AI to play against.... :j:

Cheers

To be honest in reality popping smoke is big I'm here sign.