zooloo75

Fire-Fight Improvement System

can someone update this to remove the panic feature or is there a way to disable it myself?

so the panic feature happens for me whether or not i have it disabled, it's fucking annoying, that's the one fix i'd want with this mod, and i'd always use it as is! Antoineflemming, i love your mods, and since this mod is open source, i'd love to see you take it over!
same, it happens no matter what. Sad because everything about this mod is awesome except for panicking :(
does anyone have enough skills to explain how we can just delete the panic function out of the script?

FFIS Updated

Well today I decided to fix the beloved FFIS mod given zooloo75 has disappeared off the face off the planet into a state of higher learning ;)

I've only made very minor changes but all seems to be working;

FFIS v1.1 24/11/2013 (modified by sproyd)

- Fixed: Hard coded out the panic functionality where units would de-group as this was causing many issues and it wasn't able to be disabled in the options

- Changed: the wind is now turned off by default as this was interacting with TMR to give mega-wind making it impossible to hit

- Changed: The folder paths now use "FFIS" instead of "zooloo75" so you can more easily identify the mod.

- NOTE: you will need to put a new userconfig file in your A3 root directory, instructions are in the package

Download via Armaholic

Edited by sproyd

I hate to say this but i just experienced a degroup with your updated version or at least i think i did. I decided to replay the campaign with the mod and during the second mission i ended up as a squad leader, after i saw the chevron for squad lead shift between members and i ended up as the leader of the squad while a higher ranked unit was under my command. I don't know if this is correct or not but i think my squad members ended up dead at some point because i couldn't find any standing soldiers and the only one under my command was scripted to stay alive.

@geekboy234 I ran a dedicated test mission when modifying FFIS and I didn't lose control of any members of my squad. With the original FFIS I lost control of all of them.

The situation you are referring to whereby higher ranked units are under the control of grouped lower ranked units I didn't believe was possible in the Arma engine...

Can you confirm what campaign mission you were playing when you experienced this so we can try and repro?

I'm glad to see that someone is picking this up; even though i just want the AI to use smoke grenades and cant find a mod that utilizes that as much as this mod does (or at all). A quick scenario for you just see loosing command is fly an MH-9 as the squad leader with seven other team members under your command and make a hard landing. your team will disembark automatically and go into combat stance, if you attempt to regroup I've found that they will join "group 2" and wont regroup again; you can still order them around but they will act oddly. Can anyone else recreate this?

The mission I was playing was "situation normal" after you regroup near air station mike and eventually get into contact. I looked through the code as well and attempted to remove the panic system to no avail but I am very unfamiliar with Arma's language, it seems like it dosent die. The AI in my squad did die but I tested it again after I posted and I watched the panic system fully go through and remove units from my HUD one by one, the squad leader was always last. I noticed by removing the doStop line the units left much faster but that is only a very light observation since I failed to restart the mission due to time constraints. If you need to get in touch keep in mind that I am a very busy senior in high school so I'm limited during day hours. I wish you the best with this mod as it has achieved the most so far, good luck.

Update: I've just made a minor tweak to the version on dropbox. Can you test again. I think the issue was I'd removed the de-grouping functionality but the re-grouping functionality was kicking back in.

Great wind simulation here. Are there wind gusts simulated or something? Because I've seen the bullet change trajectory a few times I think?

Other mods usually did only global ArmA wind direction deflection.

Your fix seems to work but i haven't managed to get to the second mission because i miss-clicked on the first mission and overwrote my save data. There doesn't seem to be any degoup so far but i believe this mod in its current state is highly unsuitable for campaign because of its waypoint system. My squad leader did stay in the group but took off to the other side of straits with the goal of making it there prone. I will update after i have gotten back to the test point and checked for degroup.

Edit: I managed to regroup in the second mission and panic is definitely gone. One thing to make note of with this mod is that it hates the campaign and i would guess any set of assigned waypoints given because my squad maintained its order and ranks, but first contact immediately diverted the squad and effectively broke the mission.

Edited by geekboy234

Edit: I managed to regroup in the second mission and panic is definitely gone. One thing to make note of with this mod is that it hates the campaign and i would guess any set of assigned waypoints given because my squad maintained its order and ranks, but first contact immediately diverted the squad and effectively broke the mission.

That's good news. Yes I need to look into the waypoint system. From what I can see in the code, when a unit is fired upon they are given a waypoint at the firer's position in "COMBAT" mode. Which basically means they will only move very slowly towards that WP. However, I did encounter the situation where once they reached the waypoint they just stop and don't carry on their "Editor WPs". May take some tweaking.

Anyway, the panic is gone for now - rejoice!

---------- Post added at 08:08 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------

Great wind simulation here. Are there wind gusts simulated or something? Because I've seen the bullet change trajectory a few times I think?

Other mods usually did only global ArmA wind direction deflection.

Analysing the code, wind gusts are not simulated, instead wind is applied and then a further element of randomness is introduced which is linked to wind strength.

Great, had an 8 v 8 firefight just to test over around 200m distance, that would usually end in a couple of minutes and be boring, this lasted around 8 minutes then afterwards my units remained in cover rather than just getting up and walking around as if nothing just happened.

But, blufor AR guys still seemed to fire in one round bursts? Is this just with me?

I would guess it is due to the MX AR variant still having an option for single shot, thus blufor units would rather use that than switch to fully automatic like the Indfor and Redfors belt fed AR which has no option.

Yesterday I've played a lot with this, using WWaicover and TPWEBS (I just wanted to see how would they work together). I couldn't see which mod was doing what, but they all seemed to work at some extent. Highlights were a 6 blufor x 8 redfor at 600m, as soon as contact was made everyone dropped down and started looking for cover (I guess that, since the panic function was removed, it was WWaicover that did this), two minutes later, with lot's of inaccurate (as intended) suppressing fire, everyone was spread out, each one in their cover, moving slowly towards the enemy positions, covering several los, opposed to vanilla where they just stay in position and you have to micromanage every movement. Very good behavior.

And a 8 blufor x 14 redfor urban combat, where half of my men were killed, with lot's of flanking from the ai. A very long and tense firefight.

On both cases the map was flooded with waypoints (which would break a mission), but I just used MCC's blueforce tracker to remove those whenever the AI became unresponsive, but i think that happened only once. Also I think I had to use unstuck unit from WWaimenu at some point, don't know what caused it.

My main suggestion would be a function to remove all the waypoints created by FFIS, but only after the area is clear, or a button to do so. I like the waypoints system, It makes your teammates very independent and the enemies flank a lot.

Good edit sproyd.

Hi, I really like this mod!

I have a gameserver I rent from Fragnet, its a private server that my buddy and I play on and sometimes with another friend, last night we joined the server got into a mission and was approaching a town, the AI seen us, and started to suppress, flank, and somehow manage to get behind us, pretty amazing.

Then when i had 1 enemy pinned down he threw smoke, anyways I'm not 100% sure if this is what happened but after

maybe 20min or so both my friend and myself were kicked off our own server, my friend was kicked a few times, and the funny

thing is I was admin of the server and I myself got kicked, so I have no idea what was going on.

Verify signatures is not on, and the mod is not on the server, we are joining the server with the mod client side, after we removed the mod we had no issues.

Is there something that can be done for the sake of joining a server, because the firefights we had for the time we had it running was a real blast, very exciting and fun, but at the cost of getting booted from our own server, apparently BE doesn't like the mod, can we fix this?

FFIS might have been triggering anti-hack or something else honestly i don't know but since FFIS creates waypoints mid-mission it could be considered malicious to the server. I don't know much about how Arma servers work but maybe you could white list the mod or something. Try making it server side since if i remember correctly client AI mods only affect client AI not server-side AI. Since you didn't mention them throwing smoke or taking evasive maneuvers the mod could have also not been active for enemies. I also don't think multiple client side AI mods potentially in (one player group?) is a good idea since FFIS in single player still attempts to give players waypoints.

Will this mod someday optimized for dedicated also? :-/ Would be great, the feature list looks great.

It lengthens the firefights considerably, makes the game a bit more satisfying, still disappointed with ARMA 3 AI.

FFIS Updated

Well today I decided to fix the beloved FFIS mod given zooloo75 has disappeared off the face off the planet into a state of higher learning ;)

I've only made very minor changes but all seems to be working;

FFIS v1.1 24/11/2013 (modified by sproyd)

- Fixed: Hard coded out the panic functionality where units would de-group as this was causing many issues and it wasn't able to be disabled in the options

- Changed: the wind is now turned off by default as this was interacting with TMR to give mega-wind making it impossible to hit

- Changed: The folder paths now use "FFIS" instead of "zooloo75" so you can more easily identify the mod.

- NOTE: you will need to put a new userconfig file in your A3 root directory, instructions are in the package

Download via DropBox (until hosted on Armaholic)

THANK YOU SPROYD!!!!! We need this mod, just without the degroup obviously lol

Sproyd, ru officially taking this mod over, I'm so happy somebody at least got rid of the panic system. I guess the next major fix would be way points and its awesome if you're working on it.

I'm glad to see that someone is picking this up; even though i just want the AI to use smoke grenades and cant find a mod that utilizes that as much as this mod does (or at all). A quick scenario for you just see loosing command is fly an MH-9 as the squad leader with seven other team members under your command and make a hard landing. your team will disembark automatically and go into combat stance...

This is what stops me using this Mod. I really love it for firefights, but if I make a hard landing or my vehicle takes some damage, all my guys get out. I've also come across AI lying outside perfectly operable (but a little damaged) armoured vehicles. Seems to break vehicular combat for me.

Anyone have a solution for this?

As to losing command with it, haven't been able to with this updated (thanks!) 1.1 version.

Since you didn't mention them throwing smoke or taking evasive maneuvers the mod could have also not been active for enemies.

I did, its in the post, the mod was working, the Ai was doing things I never seen before, and it was like playing against a bunch of players, and it was exhilarating.

I also don't think multiple client side AI mods potentially in (one player group?) is a good idea since FFIS in single player still attempts to give players waypoints.

You mean isn't a good idea? My buddy and i were both running the mod client side, but he saw very little of it before he got kicked from

the server,and yes we were both in the same group. I will put it on the server and see how it performs and let you guys know what we found out,

its not something I want to play without, because it was a real blast engaging the Ai.

Sproyd, ru officially taking this mod over, I'm so happy somebody at least got rid of the panic system. I guess the next major fix would be way points and its awesome if you're working on it.

I'm happy to keep working on it but am limited by (1) my poor-at-best Arma scripting skills and (2) very limited personal time due to work, friends and family commitments (3) Other projects such as my editor guide and mission-making that I get a lot of personal enjoyment out of.

However, seeing as I spent quite a while poring over the code I'm happy to look at enhancing the mod further although expect a very slow and long development cycle. The original mod itself is very cleanly and well-coded, so I just thought I'd try and fix the de-grouping issue first so that people can enjoy this excellent mod without implications.

A cool idea to bring back panic in a more accurate way, would be a very low (0.1% chance) of soldiers just outright freaking out, degrouping and sprinting indefinitely in the opposite direction to incoming fire, which shouldn't be too hard to program.

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

FYI all, for v1.1 I've removed the DropBox link and replaced with Armaholic. No changes though.

Download via Armaholic