zooloo75

Fire-Fight Improvement System

Well trained troops won't panic in an ambush. Perhaps it's time you brush up your mod to reflect experience/training levels.

you are totally misunderstanding the purpose of this script. have you even tried it? it's not about making units run around screaming and peeing their pants. it's about immediate reaction to gunfire. they dodge the bullets by scattering away from the impact point. sounds like something you would teach people. "don't stay where the bullets hit!". vanilla AI will go prone and return fire like robots ignoring the amount of bullets hitting next to them. this script changes that. if you don't like that change, maybe just don't use it instead of telling the author he's doing it all wrong.

you are getting a bit tangled up in the word "panic". "survival instinct" would probably fit better here.

Yes good sir!! :D

I'm currently running on dev build, I don't see why it would throw those errors. Are you running CBA?

If you still have those issues, add me on Steam and I could help you install it via Teamviewer if you'd like.

thanks for the great AI mod!

I am getting the same error as NatanBrody (also using CBA).

Update: I am running the Dev build 0.77.109195

(_this select 0) call #ss_FFIS_AddUnit'

Error Undefined variable in expression: ss_ffis _addunit

keep up the good work!

thanks again

RPR

Edited by rpr
update

thanks for the great AI mod!

I am getting the same error as NatanBrody (also using CBA).

keep up the good work!

thanks again

RPR

Are you on stable build too?

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

I updated the mod again, check the Dropbox link. I tested it out on Stable and didn't get any errors with it.

Unfortunately I am still getting the error.... I don't know if this makes a difference but I am testing the mod out with the editor not on multiplayer.

Unfortunately I am still getting the error.... I don't know if this makes a difference but I am testing the mod out with the editor not on multiplayer.

I use it in the editor too with no problems. I insist that you add me on Steam so I can help you out. - Zooloo75

Also do you see "Fire-Fight Improvement System by Zooloo75/Stealthstick Initialized" in the chat when you go ingame?

I unfortunately cannot add you on Steam for certain reasons but I will happily speak to you in private messaging on this site. No I don't see "Fire-Fight Improvement System by Zooloo75/Stealthstick Initialized" in the chat.....

Edited by NatanBrody

Let me put the required lol here.

Then let me put the required We arent fighting some "relatively untrained militia " ingame.

That's my point exactly, most modern militaries SOP for a close ambush is exactly what I just described: immediately orient and attack through the ambush. Failure to do so will get everyone killed, the only way out of the kill zone is towards the attackers.

For far ambushes SOP again is to immediately hit the dirt and return fire regardless of if you are behind cover or not, gaining fire superiority is more important than getting to a hardened position, that comes second.

I Am still getting the error even after installing all of my mods from fresh...

Try redownloading from Dropbox now - I think I found the issue...

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

-=Update=-

Added wind simulation to projectiles (can be toggled in userConfig)

Great addon! Thanks a lot for your work.

It seems to me that squads won't continue with their waypoints after having been engaged once, even if all enemies are dead or nowhere to be seen.

Or is that just me running some other addon that ends up in conflict with yours?

ASR_AI perhaps?

The only thing I did in userconfig was disable smoke.

Had a play with it last night with some rather comedic results. I set up a very basic mission with me going lone wolf with a scoped EBR and an enemy squad patroling a road. I engaged the squad from a hillside. Within moments of the attack, the squad ran around like headless chickens, one of the enemy AI blew himself up with a grenade along with a few of his squad. One guy split off from the rest of his squad and hid behind a building. When I eventually went after him and engaged in a CQB gunfight we injured each other. I went into cover to heal and when I went back to his position I found he had run off. After a short search I eventually saw him running off up into the hills and I picked him off with a single shot from my EBR. All that was missing was the benny hill song :D

It was good fun, but echoing some of the comments on here I do wonder how realistic this is as a blanket solution. I feel like maybe you need to be able to set the level of "professionalism" you want the AI squad or even the faction to have. You'd probably expect this kind of behavior from say a bunch of untrained rebels or undisciplined military but would you really expect this from a NATO army, especially a battle hardened or spec ops unit?

I see value in this mod and think you've done some great work but I wouldn't want to use it as it is now in all circumstances.

Just my initial thoughts anyway, I enjoyed it none the less and will play around with it a bit more

Edited by pomigit

Had a play with it last night with some rather comedic results. I set up a very basic mission with me going lone wolf with a scoped EBR and an enemy squad patroling a road. I engaged the squad from a hillside. Within moments of the attack, the squad ran around like headless chickens, one of the enemy AI blew himself up with a grenade along with a few of his squad. One guy split off from the rest of his squad and hid behind a building. When I eventually went after him and engaged in a CQB gunfight we injured each other. I went into cover to heal and when I went back to his position I found he had run off. After a short search I eventually saw him running off up into the hills and I picked him off with a single shot from my EBR. All that was missing was the benny hill song :D

It was good fun, but echoing some of the comments on here I do wonder how realistic this is as a blanket solution. I feel like maybe you need to be able to set the level of "professionalism" you want the AI squad or even the faction to have. You'd probably expect this kind of behavior from say a bunch of untrained rebels or undisciplined military but would you really expect this from a NATO army, especially a battle hardened or spec ops unit?

I see value in this mod and think you've done some great work but I wouldn't want to use it as it is now in all circumstances.

Just my initial thoughts anyway, I enjoyed it none the less and will play around with it a bit more

Therein lies some prejudice I think. This is not Arma 2 OA. From the 3 factions we currently have ingame none of them are untrained rebels or have an undisciplined military.

Loving the mod so far - lots of fun (but sadly I am on non-gaming laptop so I may have to lose the smoke;-( )

Reckon I'd agree with the other guys re losing control of your squad - even under heavy fire if your squad leader orders you to do something you better bloody well do it!

cheers

Wow, this mod has really surprised me, I just set-up a quick squad v's squad meeting engagement with all units skill levels set to max and it was easily the most authentic firefight I have witnessed in arma. This mod is going to be something very special for sure. I'm going to do a lot of testing now and will give constructive feedback and suggestions later. Thankyou for sharing your mod zooloo75.

[/color]-=Update=-

Added wind simulation to projectiles (can be toggled in userConfig)

I'm at work so can't test but am interested as to how AI will accommodate for this?

I'm at work so can't test but am interested as to how AI will accommodate for this?

One a side note perhaps something that tells us general direction wing blows? Thus far Ive been using the clouds. As for the ai.. Im not sure but they seem to be using kentucky windage

Getting crazy good firefights thanks to this mod, its fun to watch the AI battle against each other.

I think you can tell from the sounds how hard its blowing and then you can also tell based on the 2d foliage listing level what direction its blowing. Although I have yet to test the effects. My Don't Kill Josef mission is probably a good test as I have wind and gusts turned right up on that.

You really have to try this mod in the "infantry showcase" - I just got wasted by mortar fire!

Excellent stuff!

Can anyone confirm if this is able to be used on a dedicated server? We play as a small team in co-op only so it would only affect the enemy AI.

Cheers boys

Tom