bakerman

Armor Improvement System (AIS)

@frankfranconi

With the work we're doing at RAM to get the accurate CE/KE penetration and protection models in game the Titan (Mini-Spike) will be far less effective against tanks.

@irfanahmed1979

The root of the problem is the high hit probability of AA missiles, coupled with poor CM simulation and you get the current situation. It needs some work, but that's a story for another day. My new APS script is far more authentic than the original one, it relies on working sensors and launchers. Thus it will only be on vehicles with the required components (Merkava Mk4 & T-80UM2), however it is possible to screw realism and add an 'arcade' APS to any object. So that should enable you or anybody to quickly and easily add an APS to any aircraft you wish.

That's great!! Though I'm not much of a scripter.

---------- Post added at 00:30 ---------- Previous post was at 00:26 ----------

Quite some time ago I did exactly what you want. I modified the AIS script to include aircraft, and that was all there was to it. AA missiles were just blown out of the sky by an unknown force. I don't have the modified script anymore, but it's really easy to replicate as you just have to add the vehicle classes of the aircraft you wish to protect to the array of protected vehicles in the script.

Wish you had it, could've sent it over. I haven't seen the script in a while but I did manage to add the panther to the list of protected vehicles. You said vehicle classes, did you mean the class names? Does it work for both air and ground at the same time?

Wish you had it, could've sent it over. I haven't seen the script in a while but I did manage to add the panther to the list of protected vehicles. You said vehicle classes, did you mean the class names? Does it work for both air and ground at the same time?

Yeah it's too bad I don't have it anymore. I know how annyoing this is, I've been in the same situation once where the thing I was waiting for all the time was just a byproduct of someone's scripting adventures and they didn't have it anymore. I'll try to find some time to look into how I did it back then, maybe I'll be able to get back to you later today.

EDIT:

Reconstructed what I did, only took a few minutes thanks to the amazing modular structure of the script, which is very well-made!

If you want to include the script in a mission, you have the mission folder with mission.sqm and paste the folder Baked_AIS and the init.sqf script into it.

djsj0WY.png

The only thing you'll have to modify is Baked_AIS\Baked_AIS_init.sqf. Right at the beginning of the file there's the config block, where you can change the most important settings. One of them is baps_enabledFor, which is used to select the array of vehicles that are protected by the APS. Note that this is already the modified version, I added more collections and combinations of vehicles to protect.

// Get config values
baps_startHint = 0; // Show hint on startup?
baps_startDelay = 0; // Delay script for x seconds
baps_enabledFor = 6; // Enable for types? 0 = M2A1, 1 = ALL TANKS, 2 = ALL ARMOR, 3 = ALL NATO ARMOR, 4 = ALL CSAT ARMOR, 5 = All Armor & Aircraft, 6 = NATO Armor & Air

Some lines down, there are the different arrays with the vehicles in them. These are also the ones I defined, the lists are not complete though.

// List of vehicles that defend
baps_defenders = [];
if (baps_enabledFor == 0) then { // FOR M2A1 SLAMMER ONLY
baps_defenders = [
"B_MBT_01_cannon_F",
"B_MBT_01_TUSK_F"]; // Merkava Mk4
};
if (baps_enabledFor == 1) then { // FOR MBT ONLY
baps_defenders = [
"B_MBT_01_cannon_F",
"B_MBT_01_TUSK_F", // Merkava Mk4
"O_MBT_02_cannon_F"]; // T-100
};
if (baps_enabledFor == 2) then { // FOR ALL ARMORED VEHICLES
baps_defenders = [
"B_APC_Tracked_01_rcws_F", 
"B_APC_Wheeled_01_cannon_F",
"B_APC_Tracked_01_CRV_F",
"B_APC_Tracked_01_AA_F",
"B_MBT_01_cannon_F",
"B_MBT_01_TUSK_F",
"B_MBT_01_arty_F",
"B_MBT_01_mlrs_F",
"O_MBT_02_cannon_F",
"O_MBT_02_arty_F",
"O_APC_Tracked_02_AA_F",
"O_APC_Tracked_02_cannon_F",
"O_APC_Wheeled_02_rcws_F",
"I_APC_Wheeled_03_cannon_F"];
};
if (baps_enabledFor == 3) then { // BLUFOR / NATO ONLY
baps_defenders = [
"B_APC_Tracked_01_AA_F",
"B_MBT_01_cannon_F",
"B_MBT_01_TUSK_F",
"B_MBT_01_arty_F",
"B_MBT_01_mlrs_F"];
};
if (baps_enabledFor == 4) then { // OPFOR / CSAT ONLY
baps_defenders = [
"O_MBT_02_cannon_F",
"O_MBT_02_arty_F",
"O_APC_Tracked_02_AA_F",
"O_APC_Wheeled_02_rcws_F"];
};
if (baps_enabledFor == 5) then { // Air & Armor
baps_defenders = [
"B_Heli_Light_01_F",
"B_Heli_Attack_01_F",
"B_Heli_Transport_01_F",
"B_Heli_Transport_01_camo_F",
"B_Heli_Light_01_armed_F",
"O_Heli_Light_02_F",
"O_Heli_Light_02_unarmed_F",
"O_Heli_Attack_02_F",
"O_Heli_Attack_02_black_F",
"I_Heli_Transport_02_F",
"I_Heli_light_03_F",
"I_Heli_light_03_unarmed_F",
"I_Plane_Fighter_03_CAS_F",
"I_Plane_Fighter_03_AA_F",
"B_APC_Tracked_01_AA_F",
"B_MBT_01_cannon_F",
"B_MBT_01_TUSK_F",
"B_MBT_01_arty_F",
"B_MBT_01_mlrs_F",
"O_MBT_02_cannon_F",
"O_MBT_02_arty_F",
"O_APC_Tracked_02_AA_F",
};
if (baps_enabledFor == 6) then { // NATO Air & Armor
baps_defenders = [
"B_APC_Tracked_01_AA_F",
"B_MBT_01_cannon_F",
"B_MBT_01_TUSK_F",
"B_MBT_01_arty_F",
"B_MBT_01_mlrs_F",
"B_Heli_Light_01_F",
"B_Heli_Attack_01_F",
"B_Heli_Transport_01_F",
"B_Heli_Light_01_armed_F"];
};

You can get the vehicle classnames from the assets page in the BI Wiki.

I hope this helps, at least you can get it to work in your own missions that way. If you want to have it enabled for all missions, you'll have to de-pbo the mod-version and rebinarize it yourself.

Edited by frankfranconi

Yeah it's too bad I don't have it anymore. I know how annyoing this is, I've been in the same situation once where the thing I was waiting for all the time was just a byproduct of someone's scripting adventures and they didn't have it anymore. I'll try to find some time to look into how I did it back then, maybe I'll be able to get back to you later today.

EDIT:

Reconstructed what I did, only took a few minutes thanks to the amazing modular structure of the script, which is very well-made!

If you want to include the script in a mission, you have the mission folder with mission.sqm and paste the folder Baked_AIS and the init.sqf script into it.

http://i.imgur.com/djsj0WY.png

The only thing you'll have to modify is Baked_AIS\Baked_AIS_init.sqf. Right at the beginning of the file there's the config block, where you can change the most important settings. One of them is baps_enabledFor, which is used to select the array of vehicles that are protected by the APS. Note that this is already the modified version, I added more collections and combinations of vehicles to protect.

// Get config values
baps_startHint = 0; // Show hint on startup?
baps_startDelay = 0; // Delay script for x seconds
baps_enabledFor = 6; // Enable for types? 0 = M2A1, 1 = ALL TANKS, 2 = ALL ARMOR, 3 = ALL NATO ARMOR, 4 = ALL CSAT ARMOR, 5 = All Armor & Aircraft, 6 = NATO Armor & Air

Some lines down, there are the different arrays with the vehicles in them. These are also the ones I defined, the lists are not complete though.

// List of vehicles that defend
baps_defenders = [];
if (baps_enabledFor == 0) then { // FOR M2A1 SLAMMER ONLY
baps_defenders = [
"B_MBT_01_cannon_F",
"B_MBT_01_TUSK_F"]; // Merkava Mk4
};
if (baps_enabledFor == 1) then { // FOR MBT ONLY
baps_defenders = [
"B_MBT_01_cannon_F",
"B_MBT_01_TUSK_F", // Merkava Mk4
"O_MBT_02_cannon_F"]; // T-100
};
if (baps_enabledFor == 2) then { // FOR ALL ARMORED VEHICLES
baps_defenders = [
"B_APC_Tracked_01_AA_F",
"B_MBT_01_cannon_F",
"B_MBT_01_TUSK_F",
"B_MBT_01_arty_F",
"B_MBT_01_mlrs_F",
"O_MBT_02_cannon_F",
"O_MBT_02_arty_F",
"O_APC_Tracked_02_AA_F",
};
if (baps_enabledFor == 3) then { // BLUFOR / NATO ONLY
baps_defenders = [
"B_APC_Tracked_01_AA_F",
"B_MBT_01_cannon_F",
"B_MBT_01_TUSK_F",
"B_MBT_01_arty_F",
"B_MBT_01_mlrs_F"];
};
if (baps_enabledFor == 4) then { // OPFOR / CSAT ONLY
baps_defenders = [
"O_MBT_02_cannon_F",
"O_MBT_02_arty_F",
"O_APC_Tracked_02_AA_F",
"O_APC_Wheeled_02_rcws_F"];
};
if (baps_enabledFor == 5) then { // Air & Armor
baps_defenders = [
"B_Heli_Light_01_F",
"B_Heli_Attack_01_F",
"B_Heli_Transport_01_F",
"B_Heli_Light_01_armed_F",
"O_Heli_Light_02_F",
"O_Heli_Light_02_unarmed_F",
"O_Heli_Attack_02_F",
"O_Heli_Attack_02_black_F",
"I_Heli_Transport_02_F",
"I_Heli_light_03_F",
"I_Heli_light_03_unarmed_F",
"I_Plane_Fighter_03_CAS_F",
"I_Plane_Fighter_03_AA_F",
"B_APC_Tracked_01_AA_F",
"B_MBT_01_cannon_F",
"B_MBT_01_TUSK_F",
"B_MBT_01_arty_F",
"B_MBT_01_mlrs_F",
"O_MBT_02_cannon_F",
"O_MBT_02_arty_F",
"O_APC_Tracked_02_AA_F",
};
if (baps_enabledFor == 6) then { // NATO Air & Armor
baps_defenders = [
"B_APC_Tracked_01_AA_F",
"B_MBT_01_cannon_F",
"B_MBT_01_TUSK_F",
"B_MBT_01_arty_F",
"B_MBT_01_mlrs_F",
"B_Heli_Light_01_F",
"B_Heli_Attack_01_F",
"B_Heli_Transport_01_F",
"B_Heli_Light_01_armed_F"];
};

You can get the vehicle classnames from the assets page in the BI Wiki.

I hope this helps, at least you can get it to work in your own missions that way. If you want to have it enabled for all missions, you'll have to de-pbo the mod-version and rebinarize it yourself.

Thanks man that was really helpful. Will try it out in the morning.

AIS doesn't seem to be working now. Maybe it's something to do with update 1.42.

---------- Post added at 07:21 ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 ----------

ok, my bad. It's not working with an addon NH-90 that I have installed.

Thread necromancy, but I'm working on AIS in order to make it a bit better and working for any shells and such.

https://vimeo.com/273519491

A small showcase of my progress on modifying/fixing the Armor Improvement addon that aimed to add a working Active Protection System for vehicles. Sadly the script didn't work all that well. I decided to change it so instead of checking projectile classnames it now checks: whats the projectile type (APS blocks missiles, rockets and shells), how much damage the projectile does (so APS does not trigger on small pew-pew guns) and, finally, how much of that damage is kinetic (APS cannot protect from Armor Piecing Sabot rounds and similar). Then it is decided if APS can or cannot block a projectile. Checking it like this ensures compatibility with any mods without the need for manually adding shell types. I also decided that, instead of just deleting the projectile and spawning some explosion effect, I instead make the projectile detonate right and proper. I achieved this by spawning an obstacle in a way of a projectile and have the projectile smash into. It means that if APS manages to intercept a laser guided bomb, it will cause it to explode in a huge explosion, just away from a tank (every little bit helps I guess). This also means that infantry and other stuff can be damaged by the detonations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, taro8 said:

Thread necromancy, but I'm working on AIS in order to make it a bit better and working for any shells and such.

A small showcase of my progress on modifying/fixing the Armor Improvement addon that aimed to add a working Active Protection System for vehicles. Sadly the script didn't work all that well. I decided to change it so instead of checking projectile classnames it now checks: whats the projectile type (APS blocks missiles, rockets and shells), how much damage the projectile does (so APS does not trigger on small pew-pew guns) and, finally, how much of that damage is kinetic (APS cannot protect from Armor Piecing Sabot rounds and similar). Then it is decided if APS can or cannot block a projectile. Checking it like this ensures compatibility with any mods without the need for manually adding shell types. I also decided that, instead of just deleting the projectile and spawning some explosion effect, I instead make the projectile detonate right and proper. I achieved this by spawning an obstacle in a way of a projectile and have the projectile smash into. It means that if APS manages to intercept a laser guided bomb, it will cause it to explode in a huge explosion, just away from a tank (every little bit helps I guess). This also means that infantry and other stuff can be damaged by the detonations.

This is fantastic work mate, what is ETA on release? :)

6 hours ago, Damian90 said:

This is fantastic work mate, what is ETA on release? :)

Can't really say, there are still some kinks needing to be ironed out and I'm unable to get the script running using CBA so it starts in every mission. The init works, but the blocking function does not run for some reason.
I also want to experiment with a soft-kill APS that "jams" missiles. Its not that hard to do, you just delete the missile and spawn a copy of it, it breaks the guidance. You can also add a bit of random offset to have it divert from the flight path and miss the tank.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2018/6/5 at 11:45 PM, taro8 said:

Finally someone's working on APS! Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

On 6-6-2018 at 4:31 AM, taro8 said:

Can't really say, there are still some kinks needing to be ironed out and I'm unable to get the script running using CBA so it starts in every mission. The init works, but the blocking function does not run for some reason.
I also want to experiment with a soft-kill APS that "jams" missiles. Its not that hard to do, you just delete the missile and spawn a copy of it, it breaks the guidance. You can also add a bit of random offset to have it divert from the flight path and miss the tank.

or make it a countermeasure weapon which fires automatically when shot at. That what I did with my apache

On 7/15/2018 at 4:26 PM, Crielaard said:

or make it a countermeasure weapon which fires automatically when shot at. That what I did with my apache

If you can active deactivate it than fine otherwise it's not realistic.

Thats not hard to make. simply create a bool-variable in the vehicle's namespace. then change it through an action.