bakerman

Armor Improvement System (AIS)

Good job on the release Bakerman, I'm playing with the script version around: when I ran it on a dedicated server join in progress players would get the following error:

Error in expression <e ["reloading_right", 0, true];
};			
} forEach vehicle player;
sleep 10;
};
};
>
 Error position: <forEach vehicle player;
sleep 10;
};
};
>
 Error foreach: Type Object, expected Array
};			
sleep 10;
};
};
>
sleep 10;
};
};
>

};			
sleep 10;
};
};
>
sleep 10;
};
};
>
};			
sleep 10;
};
};
>
sleep 10;
};
};
>

The script however did continue to function.

@ZZEZ

Thank you for your detailed bug report. I'll look into it asap!

If I can suggest something. The number of "shots" for APS seems a bit low.

ASPRO-A APS use small MEFP cassettes as "ammunition", and in autoloader storage, there should be enough space to store more than 4 per APS module. If I am not wrong, there is enough space to store approx 10 per side.

A new version has been released.

Link to first post

Download @

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63047178/%40Baked_AIS.7z

Requires CBA 3

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147535-CBA-Community-Base-Addons-ARMA-3-Alpha

° General improvements

° New improved FOV caculations when scanning

° Fixed general script errors on vehicle loop

° New height check when blocking

° Added bikey in keys folder

Thanks a lot for the headsup and apologies

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Edited by Guest

Cool addon ! feature was missing, amongst others.

But do you plan to add T-100 as well ? it seems to me it has an APS too !

Edit : I just seen your userconfig. I think only the MBTs should be equipped, if not modelized. that's why I suggested T-100, along with Merkava. :)

Edited by NikoTeen

As part of your simulation, you may want to consider the lifespan of an APS when under repeated engagement. Due to the nature of hard kill APS, the sensors and the outer armor of the tank will necessarily be struck by fragments from the destroyed warhead. These fragments are very likely to destroy or disable the radar or APS munition launchers over time.

According to the calculations performed by Jackson et al. in Survivability of an Active Protection System during Combat (Defense Technical Information Center, http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/p023077.pdf) in order for an APS to reliably (95%) survive four hits over any period of time without repair, it would have to present a surface area of less than 40 square inches.

I think even Trophy Light is larger than that; probably the radar surface alone exceeds that. Such a system could possibly fail after the first interception. You can get good values for the probability of this from the DTIC article above.

Based on that research, you may want to consider roughly modeling the degradation of the system after repeated interceptions. This is a realistic way to eliminate the 'forcefield' nature of such a system, especially if you're considering allowing it to engage kinetic energy penetrator-type threats.

(In a perfect world where you don't care about performance, you could use attachTo to put 3D models of the APS components on the tank, and track the damage to those models from small arms, etc. Then when a missile is intercepted you could even simulate a directed shrapnel blast based on the missile vector and the angle of intercept, blah blah blah. This isn't feasible in real-time though, not through scripting at least, since you can't generate enough shrapnel. Might be fun to mess with, but better to just generate a little bit of shrapnel for visual effect and do it with probabilities.)

There are also Counter-APS systems being developed, but that stuff seems to not be publically discussed much. You can think of some just based on this vulnerability to shrapnel, not to even mention the possibility of jamming the radar. (Now we're into really big & pricy missiles, though -- probably air-launched.)

Edit: Also, could make the Titan launcher turrets capable of firing two missiles at once, like Kornet-EM!

:cool:

You can also consider whether you want to model Trophy or something like Iron Fist or Quick Kill, which use a little missile rather than buckshot to knock the incoming missile off course without necessarily detonating it and producing a (bigger) shrapnel spray. Iron Fist could theoretically defeat twin launches, like the Kornet-EM. (http://www.defense-update.com/products/i/iron-fist.htm) Presumably it's still vulnerably to shrapnel degradation over time, though.

Just some thoughts.

Edited by Taosenai
Kornet and Iron Fist

There are also Counter-APS systems being developed, but that stuff seems to not be publically discussed much. You can think of some just based on this vulnerability to shrapnel, not to even mention the possibility of jamming the radar. (Now we're into really big & pricy missiles, though -- probably air-launched.)

Edit: Also, could make the Titan launcher turrets capable of firing two missiles at once, like Kornet-EM!

The RPG-30 is supposed to be able to defeat those APS too. The rocket launches a small dummy rocket before reaching the target, in order to trigger the system earlier.

Hey Bakerman,

I like the turn AIS on all vehicles option in the userconfig, but could you please add an option so I can choose to activate AIS only on NATO or CSAT armored vehicles?

This looks awesome. And I just happened to read about the trophy system yesterday. excellent. Now we just need Israeli troops to use their own vehicles and stop letting "nato" aka U.S. use them

@Damian90

This I know of, but until I have something like the RPG-30 in game I don't want to increase the ammo count above 4. Once I have counter-countermeasures I'll happily adjust everything.

@Foxhound

Thanks again :)

@NikoTeen

I've got something special planned for the T100. ;)

@Taosenai

Thank you for this information! I wanted to PM you to discuss some of this but I guess you beat me to it. I haven't even thought about the degradation, but I really like it and will try adding it in with the next update. After this I'm going to start working on the Iron Fist system for light vehicles which super-truite will most likely be helping me with, so there will be a variety of APS systems.

@super-truite

Jup I've already started playing around with adding RPG-30 capabilities to the RPG-32, I mean 42. Basically it fires a small dummy rocket in front of a second rocket with the warhead that follows.

@lo0se

I will probably expand the config options, to say Merkava only, only tanks, only nato/csat or for all vehicles.

@Victim9l3

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. There is a IDF mod for arma3.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152469-IDF-(-Israeli-defense-forces-)-units-complete&highlight=idf

Please this post. Had a double post issue due to my connection.

Good job on the new release, I just finished testing it on a dedicated server and it works fine except for a JIP issue.

JIP players shooting rockets at the tank do not trigger the APS, I'm guessing its because you are not adding the eventhandler to JIPs?if you could fix that it would be great.

Hmmm I'm having difficulty getting this to work on a locally hosted game. I can get it to work in the editor, but it will fail to hook in in MP. I even stripped out everything but APS and CBA. Any ideas ? Event handler addition problems ?

Jup, while searching for the cause of the JIP problem I noticed that I am only adding the event handlers once at initialization. This has been fixed and will be part of the upcoming update, which will probably be released in the next 24 hours. Thanks for the bug reports. :)

Yeah I think adding the eventhandlers overwrites other handlers already there :)

Cool work mate. Now if you were to write an armour penetration system ....... ;)

@Kremator

Yes I'm playing around with the penetration of shots and armor values. It's not that difficult, it's just a matter of finding the values that work best. I'm also playing around with making choppers roll around on crash landings, but don't get excited just yet it's still far from release (if I decide to).

A new version has been released.

For more info please view the first post.

Link to first post

Download @

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63047178/%40Baked_AIS.7z

Requires CBA 3

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147535-CBA-Community-Base-Addons-ARMA-3-Alpha

° Change userconfig variable values and names

° Fixed right ammo being saved for left ammo

° Fixed not running for JIP players

° Fixed not running for post-init created units

° Fixed userconfig conflicts in MP

° Added damage degrades performance of APS module

° Added using APS gradually degrades performance

° Added more userconfig options for defenders

° Added flag for multiple running instances of AIS-APS

° Extended innitial block distance by average of 4 meters

° Fixed general errors in file description

Notes

I rewrote large chunks of the code so new errors may popup, please let me know what you find and how you were using this mod.

Thanks to the ideas of Taosenai, unit damage now affects the performance of the APS module and every use gradually decreases the performance of each individual APS module. I've done some initial tweaking but I probably still need to tweak them a lot to work perfectly.

You'll also find some new options in the userconfig.

Edited by Bakerman

Cheers mate ... testing this right away !

Seems to work perfectly ! Well done mate.

Edited by Kremator

hey new version is great, is there anyway to add other types of projectiles to those that get blocked? it's easy enough in the script version, but not sure how to do it in the mod version

the direct attack HEAT shell with the TMR pack "TMR_launch_NLAW_MPV_F"

and the AT4 CS from the R3F pack "R3F_AT4CS"

Cool, thanks for the classnames. For now I'll add them to the weaponslist. In the future I will figure something out which enables one to add new stuff via the userconfig.

Also I think you might want to look into "missiles_titan_static" as Im pretty sure from testing then, the static launchers get through all the time.

also maybe "missiles_DAR" as if youve got DAGR and Skyfire, then it would makes sense.

hopefully I'm not pulling the wrong classnames here.

Edited by Thirster

Good job on the new release, I finished testing it on a dedicated server with various scenarios that might break it and it worked perfectly fine.

@Thirster

Ah yes I forgot about the static launchers.. :d:

Expect a mini update with a new weapons list soon.

@ZZEZ

That's good to hear. Thanks for testing.