bakerman

Armor Improvement System (AIS)

Pretty cool. Can't wait to see it in action. Is this an automated system when the vehicle's engine starts or does this system actually have to be booted up and armed?

Thanks I'm glad you like it.

At the moment it's active if the vehicle has a crew and it's not too damaged, I haven't thought about manually arming the system from the start, but I'll look into it. I do plan on adding a manual disarm.

Edited by Bakerman

Force field... nice :D

I was just referring to the WIP video, and I know it's a WIP, not trying to nitpick or anything. Good job :thumb:

I like it, not too overpowered, but boosts a vehicles survivability in combat.

Will this mod automatically apply to all ground vehicles, across all factions, or will it be modular and you can adjust which vehicles/factions have this system via the user config?

^ That's exactly what I was going for, something that adds to the vehicles in ARMA without making them overpowered. At the moment this mod is specifically aimed at the Slammer tank, due to it already having a APS modeled. I want to add it for every vehicle, but without any models it would be strange. Ideally it would be great if the system was modeled for each vehicle and then configured to operate from that specific model point. ;)

Thanks sgt_Savage2003, I got tired of waiting for something like this so I decided to create it myself. :p

Haha thanks Mr_Centipede. This forcefield might be too futuristic for some coldwar lovers out there, but with the focus on Israeli hardware and it being the future I think this system fits right in with the current armaverse.

Will there be an early warning system sound/tone when someone is locking on to you?

Early warning, no. However I do intend to add a GUI to show the general direction of the threat after is has been dealt with, which is what the real system does.

Just a small update.

I'm busy rewriting everything for much greater performance and added stability. The first version was more of a proof of concept, the new version will be something I can release.

Why has one guy managed to add more gameplay features to armor than all of BIS did in their many years of development?

Speaking as a software developer I can say that you can't always implement all the cool stuff you want. You have to make cuts and do what you can within limits. The scripts I'm working on is nothing compared to the actual game and just as I have struggled with performance issues I'm sure BI devs have it no different. I only managed to do this because I really wanted to and I could take as long as I wanted to. I almost gave up on ever bypassing the performance issues until a week ago, but then after playing with TPW's civilian scripts I realised how much potential this game has. All arma needs is just some extra stuff and it can be so much more. I simply wanted to contribute to that "extra stuff" and play the game.

Download link for test version 0.1 as a script.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63047178/B-APS.zip

Call with this code in the mission init.sqf:

call compile preprocessFile "B-APS\Baked_APS_Init.sqf";

Known issues, which I have just tested:

- In multiplayer the APS does not work when players are in the vehicle.

- Multiplayer has some other minor issues, including double ammo count.

When testing I would appreciate it if you list any bugs you find in as much detail as possible. :)

Bakerman this looks great mate! Would there be any chance of knocking an addon version to add it to all tanks/APC etc, perhaps utilizing CBA ?

Thanks Kremator, I'm still new to all of this so I'll look into what's possible.

The script can be enabled for all of the stable branch vehicles by looking at the top comment block in the Init file.

Simply delete

baps_defenders = ["B_MBT_01_cannon_F"]; // Merkava Mk4

And add in

baps_defenders = [
"B_APC_Tracked_01_rcws_F", //Merkava APC 
"B_APC_Wheeled_01_cannon_F", //AMV
"O_APC_Tracked_02_cannon_F", //BTK
"O_APC_Wheeled_02_rcws_F"]; //OTOKAR

Just awesome. Wonder if there can be a "mod" version to enable to this function to all the basic armored vehicles in A3 so it works across all missions?

I'm working on exactly that right now. Expect a mod version soon.

EDIT:

I've packed everything into a mod with a config file, I'm just having some major MP issues. I can't get the ammo count to sync between clients and the server. It's either nothing (with !isServer exit) or multiplied for each client.

Edited by Bakerman

Thanks for this script (and soon addon) Bakerman, as all future tanks should have some sort of APS and ERA and BIS just bipassed it ;D

I´ve used the script in a SP mission and it worked alright, I just don´t know how to use the exhaust smoke screen =/ (who can activate it? I´ve tried the gunner, commander and driver and noone had the action menu option for it)

Hi Corporal_Lib[bR], the exhaust smokescreen will be part of a future update, it just made a sneaky appearance in the video. :)

Any chance you'd be able to rework how damage is dealt? It'd be nice to have vehicles exploding less often for silly reasons, engines that can actually be disabled, armor that works properly, etc.

Been looking forward for this since I first saw it. But I loaded your mod up like I do for all my other mods and for some reason I cant get it to work. Or I just cant tell.

Can we get some details on what to do. Will this work on empty and manned vehicles. Iam using the add-on version.

@MordeaniisChaos

I'm taking things one step at a time, I'm only one guy working on this, but I will eventually look into what can be done.

@sgt_Savage2003

Make sure that the userconfig inside the mod folder has been placed in your arma3 directory.