Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

Extended main theme?

The new main theme in Arma 3 is a nice remix of old and new from Operation Flashpoint, (though I can't says I cared for the first bit of radio noise, reminded me too much of BF3) but it feels oddly short.

The best part kicks in and then its over shortly after. I'd love to hear an extended version of this track that mixes its new elements even more with the OFP theme and follow with the added chorus.

Edited by NodUnit

Yes please to a longer remix, I agree it's rather short, was left wanting more Flashpoint chorus too.

+1

Hopefully there'll be something like that.

I *may* be working on something ;)

Shame teasing like that ;) looking forward to hear it if created :D

Edited by DanielV

Four minutes? Dang you got me beat by over a minute..then again I'm a complete scrub when it comes to editing software, literally my first time touching it so I expect mine to sound like utter mule.

I've actually improved that to 5 minutes now :')

I hated the first version so much haha...

I must confess though it's a very difficult combo to do because of the difference in BPM (or so I'm told :D) So, this remix which I still may or may not be doing (lol) is more centred round the A3 theme with the odd bit of OFP thrown in there.

yeah i agree, it sounds like a cut, when best part kicks in, it ends quite short without outro, every track needs intro and outro :P

The best part kicks in and then its over shortly after

Yup that's what I noticed as well; while the ''best'' part isn't even over yet the end part already kicks in. Plus the whole thing sounds so 90's

:)

I'm going to laugh if we had the same idea for the ending.

Mine...well about what you'd expect for a first time user, cut pasted and you can tell where the misteps are because they can't read the lines quick enough.

Oh man for a second there I thought we ended exactly the same way. Interesting back and forth between the two...really highlights the different moods they bring.

For now I just focused on the A3 theme itself, and didn't really extend it all that much...don't know how to lengthen a song with nice flow and the more I tried to cut and paste the more I kept screwing up and getting "bumps" where you couldn't miss the sudden shift..working on uploading mine now.

Yeah see MadDog and Kaijev helped me to determine the rather large number of issues present... Here's two more links to the OLD versions. Note these are unlisted, whereas the final (above) is public.

Most old:

Curious, in the 2nd old one you were laying them the two themes nearly directly under, what changed your mind with this route?

Edited by NodUnit

Curious, in the 2nd old one you were laying them the two themes nearly directly under, what changed your mind with this route?

Indeed I was - the BPM desync was horrible. We registered one at 170 and the other at 165, tested again at 120 and 112... pick whichever you like :P

You'll notice that the A3 track sounds rather muffled at the loud parts - that's something I had to fix, and as I went along I listened to each bit and thought "no, that doesn't sound right. let's find another place for that". So, in the end, it turned more to a remix of the A3 tune with OFP elements rather than both being mixed equally... just easier on the ears, imo.

:edit

Edited by NodUnit

I loved 2:40 onwards! XD

Just kidding :p That was pretty cool, from a first hearing I couldn't recognise the extension but yea, good job :D

Now you just have to put some OFP in there!

Hoped to make it longer but too many problems came up..ehh..might try it when I got the time, right now I have to juggle modelling, texturing, unwrapping, materials and lots of ingame testing for nothing in particular.

Truth be told I'm not sure I'd personally want to remix the CWC and Arma 3 theme too much, they both have unique styles and I think that is one of the things I like about Arma 3's...Arma 1's remix was great but Arma 3 is on a scale all its own, probably the most adrenaline enducing theme I've heard of the series "entry themes" yet, actually got through my deoderant : |

Really hoping the professional music artists up there make an extension of this theme, doesnt have to be 5 minutes like CWC (though that would be perty neat) but this feels like a teaser.

HERE IT IS FOLKS:

Passage that entertained me was the one starting at 2:12 all the way till 2:45. Was smooth, kind of mysterious and especially - not cheesy and is what I would not mind being as the main menu theme.

( @generally - I am confused why re-use the OFP theme in the first place anyhow, as if it was the theme that made the game so popular )

The part starting at around 3:00 reminds me of the movie ''Commando'' lol ;)

Passage that entertained me was the one starting at 2:12 all the way till 2:45. Was smooth, kind of mysterious and especially - not cheesy and is what I would not mind being as the main menu theme.

( @generally - I am confused why re-use the OFP theme in the first place anyhow, as if it was the theme that made the game so popular )

The part starting at around 3:00 reminds me of the movie ''Commando'' lol ;)

Partly to satisfy NodUnit's demands but I also thought it'd be a nice homage. I had fun making it so that's all I'm bothered about :D

Partly to satisfy NodUnit's demands but I also thought it'd be a nice homage. I had fun making it so that's all I'm bothered about :D

My little jab was directed at BI decision for re-using the cwc theme though

and I also wanted to point at what IMO good sounding theme could have been without sounding like it's from 90's 80's using your example :p

By this point I don't think its just the CWC theme but rather the Brand theme, given that every game has had a version of it.

Arma 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppqxGQavYbI Arma 2

They also know many of us will totally fangirl out.

Edited by NodUnit

For some reason, in addition to CWC, parts of the theme make me have flashbacks of MGS. Like the 1:30 - 1:40 part. I'm not sure why, it feels so familiar, especially the "rise" bit from 1:34 to 1:36.