Sign in to follow this  
rehtus777

The Invisible Top Half of the Ladder

Howdy. There is one animation that has always annoyed me with the ArmA series and that is the ladder climbing animations. ArmA is such a wonderful piece of Computer Science engineering and the animations are getting much better with each new release, but the ladder animations need to be fixed. Check out the video. The first 24 seconds show the "invisible top half of the ladder", while the last 17 seconds show a possible solution that Ubisoft used for Call of Juarez Gunslinger. Granted, this is only a 1st person view and BIS would have to also make a 3rd person view as well. But the Ubisoft version looks smooth. What do you think?

As long as can't shoot when your head sticks out, I'ts not worth the hassle. There are much more important things to fix, this is just eyecandy .

As long as can't shoot when your head sticks out, I'ts not worth the hassle. There are much more important things to fix, this is just eyecandy .

I hear you. But to me, it makes the animations look cheesy. Here you have this incredible game engine with excellent graphics and game mechanics.....UNTIL....you climb the ladder and it looks goofy at the top of the ladder.

You certainly do have a point and hopefully in the future it will be improved upon.

BI could fix this easily... ;)

It seems the ladder "height" is the issue for the climbing animation on smaller ladders, because it's not an issue on taller ladders. :p

I'm guessing a single class etc. or something is used for all ladders...lol!

Like most game devs though laziness is the reason these kinds things are left in a game. -eye roll-

I think it would definitely look a lot better if when the hands reached the top of the ladder the 'ladder climbing' animation went into a 'climb over' animation. Not to mention that the resulting new animation could be used for other stuff too. Like wall climbing.

Like most game devs though laziness is the reason these kinds things are left in a game. -eye roll-

You should check latest spotrep before you call someone lazy.

It's one of the immersion breakers, as with movies one simple misplaced

detail can take you out of a movie, but they are things that are more

important to be loud about.Example - medical system.

Anyone made ticket?

While it may be true it can easily be fixed, and I agree it's an immersion breaker and I hope it will get fixed. But calling the developer lazy is just plain rude...

While it may be true it can easily be fixed, and I agree it's an immersion breaker and I hope it will get fixed. But calling the developer lazy is just plain rude...

I wasn't just calling BI lazy with these issues...

It's the entire game industry, as you will note I said "game devs" in general. ;)

You see why BI has been cutting ArmA 3 features...they have basically admitted what I've said.

They realize it's time to stop releasing "half baked" work (being lazy), and that it's time to polish their releases more (being pro). ;)

That's just the truth/fact, so if I'm rude then so be it. :p

It's the entire game industry, as you will note I said "game devs" in general. ;)

You see why BI has been cutting ArmA 3 features...they have basically admitted what I've said.

They realize it's time to stop releasing "half baked" work (being lazy), and that it's time to polish their releases more (being pro). ;)

/off topic.

Listen, you have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but ALOT of people on these forums do have a very good idea of what is going on. How can you be so presumptuous and insinuate that the BI devs are in the same boat as the devs for other games? You also say that because BI have cut some features they are being lazy and they have admitted it? Proof is in the writing my friend so to prove your point quote me someone saying that.

I would actually like to say a lot more to you about this but I don't like infractions so I will not say anything that may cause me to get an infraction.

Sorry for going off topic.

/on topic.

Am I wrong or if this is considered to be updated, the AI will have to learn it as well (aditional work?)

I'd like to add arrogant to rude. Welcome to my ignore list.

Well if a person can see you while you pick invisible apples from the sky then it´s not just eye-candy is it.

I assume you saw my post about it in the dev blog thread. I'm sure they have many more important things to work on, but they really need to get this fixed, it seriously cant be that hard if every other fps game can deal with it.

OP, This is actually a good idea!

Seems like an elegant workaround for the absence of "last step move out from climbing" animation.

No. The current ladder animation if it's still like in the video is shit and greatly immersion breaking not to mention confusing and unrealistic all at the same time...

It's not unimportant.

A possible workaround:

- add a black in/out effect when a character's hand or torso memory points lines up with the surface of a building (which lines up with the end of the ladder too). Because similar technique is mostly used for vehicle get in/out animations, this could be applied in a similar way without risking anything. Maybe a temp. black screen (from other client's perspective - teleportation) looks unrealistic, but it's still better than current animation.

Would be cool to be able to choose just before you reach the top step whether to stand, crouch or prone. Could be the same menu for choosing gun/getting into cars etc.

And a small cut scene (2-3 tenths or something) as Polygon mentioned that would eliminate any need for any animations.

To clear things up I must go off topic...sorry.

How can you be so presumptuous and insinuate that the BI devs are in the same boat as the devs for other games?

It's simple logic man. You either complete work (finish it), or you do not (unfinished). Correct?

There has never been game released without bugs, or incomplete features, so you can't tell me it's not an industry wide problem lol!

What do you call someone who doesn't finish a job? A Slacker, or (be honest) maybe you call them Lazy? *shock!*

Honestly though it's not %100 any devs fault...as with any project you can't foresee everything.

The money the company/investors put in are the reason for these "must release" deadlines since they need their ROI. ;)

Sadly this means a company is forced to release a product that isn't %100 finished/polished.

I'm not trying to insult BI...I'm just stating the facts here man ;)

You also say that because BI have cut some features they are being lazy and they have admitted it? Proof is in the writing my friend so to prove your point quote me someone saying that.

BI has admitted to the the lack of polish aka including unfinished features in their games.

Features have been cut so that BI can focus on "polishing" what they have, as they don't want it to be as unfinished as ArmA 2 was.

Now they didn't say "lazy" as I did, but that's half the gist of it, and the other is what BI and I have said...ArmA 3 MUST be released in 2013.

I hope that clears things up here?

/back on topic.

Go climb the ladders on the "Radio Towers", or on the building in the "Old Outpost" and you see this issue the OP mentioned doesn't exist on those ladders ;)

I'm sure such a simple thing will be fixed, but I am unsure as my baseline is ArmA 2, and lets be honest that game was released with many buggy/incomplete features.

What do you call someone who doesn't finish a job? A Slacker, or (be honest) maybe you call them Lazy? *shock!*

What a nice clean, simple little world your mind lives in.