Sign in to follow this  
vagrantauthor

BIS, I love you

but what in the wide, wide world of sports is happening?

Arma 3 is set to be "released" in 30 days according to the main menu ticker, yet it's still technically (and I mean that word literally) in its Alpha state. Yes, I'm aware of the Beta moniker. Its development state, however, is Alpha. Features are not locked down (my biggest point toward this claim), game-breaking bugs are still being created/discovered/squashed, and stability is still questionable (certain friends have lost the ability to connect to my local server over the internet recently - without any changes to hardware/software outside of Arma 3). I know I'm not being very descriptive with my claims, but that isn't the point. The point is, Alpha is the stage when these things are sorted out. Features are played with, decided upon, and locked down. Content is created and fashioned for use. Beta is the stage when the bug squashing commences. I don't know what kind of road-map you guys are working with, but its definitions are very different from much of the game development community.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love this game for everything it is and everything it could be. I'm writing this because of that fact. I don't want to see you fail. Regardless of whether or not anyone agrees with what I have written - the game that will be released on September 12th will not deserve the status of completed game unless all of these posts and SITREPS and SPOTREPS have been a farce. I don't know the business side of this endeavor. I don't know how much it will cost to delay the game further while features and whatnot are sorted out and completed. I can only hope at this point that the things being axed/scrapped/etc will be brought back in at a future time. It's been said this will happen, but this has been said of other things that have not happened.

I'm worried, BIS. I'm worried because I care. No doubt some of my information is wrong or somewhat inaccurate. This post isn't really the product of reading the most recent SITREP; it's the product of watching Arma 3 grow from Alpha to Beta to near final release without ever actually feeling like it left its Alpha state.

Edited by vagrantauthor

IMO it still feels very ropey, and I thought some of the stuff in right now was placeholder when in fact it will be in release :P

OP is quite right :P

i agree... playing since alpha and it still feels like a scientist experiment at the moment

I havent really noticed any major changes since Alpha was released apart from the addition of a few vehicles... Maybe its just me...

Isn't that why we all rant (well, some of us :D) ? Because we care ? Otherwise we would just say "shrug" and move on...

Maybe we are all just to used to all the content that we have in ArmA 2 now. I started up Vanilla ArmA2 yesterday (without OA) and by god its awful. :D

Maybe we are all just to used to all the content that we have in ArmA 2 now. I started up Vanilla ArmA2 yesterday (without OA) and by god its awful. :D

I think that's really what it comes down to, if you look at most other titles for instance Battlefield 3 (its just a reference so calm down) their list of content is really smaller than what we will be getting at launch with ArmA 3 and I would imagine their development teams are twice the size if not bigger.

So I really think what it comes down too is that people are spoiled by the amount of content currently available for ArmA II, I understand that people here want and expect every aspect of military conflict over the last 40 years to be available and be as realistic as possible without breaking game play but its NOT POSSIBLE so get over it.

Especially for people who got the game in Alpha for 30$.....tell me another game that's anywhere near this quality for that price.

I havent really noticed any major changes since Alpha was released apart from the addition of a few vehicles... Maybe its just me...

I gave up after all I kept reading in the change log is the changes and fixes to the stupid "Firing Drills" challenge.

I think that's really what it comes down to, if you look at most other titles for instance Battlefield 3 (its just a reference so calm down) their list of content is really smaller than what we will be getting at launch with ArmA 3 and I would imagine their development teams are twice the size if not bigger.

So I really think what it comes down too is that people are spoiled by the amount of content currently available for ArmA II, I understand that people here want and expect every aspect of military conflict over the last 40 years to be available and be as realistic as possible without breaking game play but its NOT POSSIBLE so get over it.

Especially for people who got the game in Alpha for 30$.....tell me another game that's anywhere near this quality for that price.

I understand what you are saying, but you have missed the point. I love what I have available right now in Arma 3. I can put it all to good use and have a good time. I love the fact that I have been able to watch the game grow over time at any price. I'd have paid the full asking price for A3 with the benefit of joining the Alpha if BIS had asked it. The issue is I am being told this game is near release (countdown and all), yet the basic game, itself, is far from complete. Much farther than thirty days and counting, anyway. With each update I have the feeling that BIS has yet to decide how any single aspect of the game should function (stamina/weight system, for example), and these issues should have been sorted out in an actual Alpha environment. We're now thirty days to release, we know we aren't going to receive the full game at release, and systems are still being toyed with as if they were experimental at best. The point is, I (a consumer and fan) have no idea what is really going on and what I see worries me.

Won't be any diferent from all the past releases: The real game will emerge about one year later. But this time, it will be playable from the start.

I gave up after all I kept reading in the change log is the changes and fixes to the stupid "Firing Drills" challenge.

Yeah quite disencouraging, same goes with the "Development Branch Captain's AI Log" which started out great but then took the handbrake...

I'll go with a quote from PurePassion:

Unfortunately the forum rules do not allow for each and everyone to create new threads for their general concerns. There are already multiple topics where you can discuss the content here. There is simply no need for it to be separated into more threads.

You are encouraged to continue the discussion in the existing threads.

Therefore, closing :)