Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW EBS: engine based suppression

OK that's good to know about the player's suppression shell causing the problems. Now I have something to work with. Currently I just hideobject the player's shell near a heli, I think I will go to plan b and remove the bastard altogether, and reinstate it if the player is far enough away.

Can you correct me please?

"IF" the disableCollisionWith could work 'from the box' there will be no need for constant checks for distance between player and objects..and as a result more Performance efficiency?? oO

Can you correct me please?

"IF" the disableCollisionWith could work 'from the box' there will be no need for constant checks for distance between player and objects..and as a result more Performance efficiency?? oO

Working on it mate. Just need to determine if the disablecollisionwith disables collision with the shell's firegeometry. Also http://arma-news.com/2013/0007842-disablecollisionwith-has-no-effect/

I imagine the class you inherited from-to your 'Shell' object- it will be 'catalytic'

The command 'disableCollisionWith' doesn't apply to PhysX objects (for now at least)..as you probably already read.

I really hope&wish for a positive result.I don't want to be the cause for the loss of a-mans-precious-time :)

^^ yeah we need houselights for Altis (MP btw :) )

Seriously tpw is a coding guru and an asset to our community !

^^ yeah we need houselights for Altis (MP btw :) )

Seriously tpw is a coding guru and an asset to our community !

Careful mate, my head will swell up too much and I won't be able to reach the keyboard.

MP Houselights will happen this week, just need to iron out the last of the bugs with EBS and CIVS

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

TPW EBS v1.07: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_EBS_107.zip

Changes:

• Improved shell disabling code for helicopters
  • Improved code modularity and efficiency

OK so I've tested the crap out of this and simply cannot get it to crash a helicopter! A few other code improvements too, so hopefully it'll be even lighter for your poor stressed out CPU on Altis.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

I try this with my m8, 1.07 version, and it is work on AI but no effect on player at all.

When I'm shooting on enemy human guided soldier debug shows the LOD reacting changing colors and re sizing but no visual effects for human player who is suppressed.

Is this OK or not?

Check that you have pulled the userconfig directory OUT of the @TPW_EBS folder. It goes in your arma3 root directory.

Check that you have pulled the userconfig directory OUT of the @TPW_EBS folder. It goes in your arma3 root directory.

Who, me?

Yes I am otherwise will not work at all. I just don't see any visual effects on players which will simulate suppression. Debug shows triggers are working. One more prove I set config properly.

To be honest..i never myself experienced "player effects"..or something out of the ordinary on incoming fire (from AI).

I haven't yet tested latest version though..

@wormeaten. You won't see a coloured shell around the player unit regardless of debugging, since it runs in its own separate loop independent of AI. To be honest, the player suppression effects are very subtle, just a bit of shortness of breath really. There are no forced stance changes or anything like that.

You mention that you were playing against your mate, which I've interpreted as MP or PVP. EBS is strictly a single player mod since the suppression shell apparently only reacts to local bullets (a bug in the hitpart eventhandler).

Hi all,

I have looked all over and this is a real basic newbie question - but how do I set up the visual debugging. I have changed the .hhp file to have this:

tpw_ebs_debug = 1; // debugging will colour the suppression shell (green = own side, yellow = enemy <5 bullets, red = enemy >5 bullets). 1 = debugging active.

but i still don't get any bubbles around soldiers when firing at them in the editor as I have seen in other videos.

Any help would be appreciated??

Cheers

Hi all,

I have looked all over and this is a real basic newbie question - but how do I set up the visual debugging. I have changed the .hhp file to have this:

tpw_ebs_debug = 1; // debugging will colour the suppression shell (green = own side, yellow = enemy <5 bullets, red = enemy >5 bullets). 1 = debugging active.

but i still don't get any bubbles around soldiers when firing at them in the editor as I have seen in other videos.

Cheers

Hi mryozzie, welcome to the forum. There are several ways things might not be working for you.

1 - Are you sure you have the .hpp in the right place (as per the readme)? If you don't, the mod will exit and you won't see anything.

2 - Are units actually reacting to being suppressed ie if you shoot at a unit, will it crouch/prone?

3 - Are the units far enough away? If you are closer than 5m to a unit you won't see its shell or be able to suppress it.

With the latest version, debugging turns all shells blue by default, so you'll know immediately if it is working ok.

We'll get this working for you.

Hi all,

Cheers

Make sure that you have copied the folder containing the .hhp file into Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Arma 3/userconfig

Maybe you have already done this but I'm just trying to help. :)

Thx guys for such a speedy reply. I had a lot of trouble trying to sort out the correct directory off the bat, but thought I had done it right. I have my Steam folder in a separate place. "E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Arma 3".

I extracted the @TPW_EBS into the root directory (of ARMA3) then copied and pasted the TPW_EBS folder under the userconfig folder into a new folder in the root directory called "userconfig". Up until this point I didn't have a "userconfig" folder so I created one in the root directory. The hpp file is now located in 2 places. 1. Under the @TPW_EBS folder in the root directory and 2. In the 'userconfig' folder in the root directory inside the 'TPW_EBS' folder. I hope this makes sense, as I have just gone cross-eyed writing this....

I think units are reacting, i.e. they are going prone but I'm not sure if that's a normal reaction or the mod in action.

I was probably closer than 5m so ill try again further away.

Ill let you both know.

Cheers for the help thus far.

---------- Post added at 06:03 ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 ----------

I just tried moving them further away and it did nothing. Do i need to write anything in the 'debug console'? I am running the developers version as well, does this effect it? I honestly feel like I am missing something key, but have no idea, as I said I am a complete newbie to this stuff.

I'm not at my Arma rig, but IIRC TPW distributed the zip file like this:

[root]\@tpw_ebs\addons\
[root]\@tpw_ebs\userconfig\

Then you copy this structure to the A3 directory you already found. Then copy (or move) [A3folder\@tpw_ebs\userconfig\ to one level up, into the A3 folder.

Don't forget to call arma3.exe with the -mod="@tpw_ebs"...

OK so the latest is as follows:

I have been researching all day how to make mods work and stumbled upon a launcher for A3. Once i figured that out, it now all works perfectly. I still have no idea why the Suppression mod didn't work the old way but this seems to work perfectly so I'll stick with this.

Thanks all for your help. No doubt I'll be asking again in the near future.

Hi folks, I'm running this mod with Windwalking's WW_AICover, can these mods share the same userconfig folder that's in my Arma3 root. Cheers.

Hey TPW I had been away from the PC for a few days and tried out the latest version today, 1.07. I am still getting an issue with the chopper rotors being destroyed upon mission start.

To recreate the bug, go into the Editor and place yourself as the Pilot of a helicopter from the start, like the AH-99, and then set the helicopter to be "Flying" upon start-up. The key difference is to make sure you are in the helicopter and flying from the beginning, and the rotors should be destroyed once your addon initializes.

I would restart the mission at least three times if it doesn't cause the bug the first time. This seems to only happen if the player is in the helicopter from the start, as it does not seem to occur with an AI unit flying around as pilot and gunner. Would there be a way for your addon to check if the Player is in a vehicle before creating a shell around the Player?

Thanks again for the awesome addons and quick fixes!

Hey TPW I had been away from the PC for a few days and tried out the latest version today, 1.07. I am still getting an issue with the chopper rotors being destroyed upon mission start.

To recreate the bug, go into the Editor and place yourself as the Pilot of a helicopter from the start, like the AH-99, and then set the helicopter to be "Flying" upon start-up. The key difference is to make sure you are in the helicopter and flying from the beginning, and the rotors should be destroyed once your addon initializes.

I would restart the mission at least three times if it doesn't cause the bug the first time. This seems to only happen if the player is in the helicopter from the start, as it does not seem to occur with an AI unit flying around as pilot and gunner. Would there be a way for your addon to check if the Player is in a vehicle before creating a shell around the Player?

Thanks again for the awesome addons and quick fixes!

Thanks very much for that report mate, and you are exactly right. I will add the condition shortly.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Hi tpw I have a question and let me apologize in advance if this has previously been asked already,

are the shells that you use to identify nearby gunfire created locally so that say only the server (or rather, client handling the AI) needs to have this mod enabled or is it required for every player to use this addon?

I guess what it boils down to is if I can run this addon on my server when playing with friends without having to make them use it themselves.

Thanks!

- X

Hi tpw I have a question and let me apologize in advance if this has previously been asked already,

are the shells that you use to identify nearby gunfire created locally so that say only the server (or rather, client handling the AI) needs to have this mod enabled or is it required for every player to use this addon?

I guess what it boils down to is if I can run this addon on my server when playing with friends without having to make them use it themselves.

Thanks!

- X

I don't really have an answer that will make you happy X. Basically there is no point running EBS on a server because the suppression shell apparently only reacts to local bullets. ie a unit with a shell can only be suppressed by bullets fired from a unit local to the same server. This is due to a flaw in the hitpart evenhandler. You are best to check out TPWCAS if you want a server friendly AI suppression addon.