Sign in to follow this  
JohnKalo

Arma 3-TOH similarities

As a great fan of take on helicopters and all of it's aspects I would really like to know if the take on helicopter's flight models are included in Arma 3.

I mean will it be realistic when you fly a chopper in Arma 3?

It would be really great, if so, because all the take on helicopter pilots would be able to participate in this upcoming game and provide the Arma players the flying skills that are requested and have fun in the same time.

So many experiences can occur...

Now I have watched some videos in the Arma 3 official website and I have also looked into these forums but there doesn't seem to be an answer to my question.

So if anyone can help, please do...

There will be no TOH flight model in A3, at least not on release.

There will be no TOH flight model in A3, at least not on release.

Too bad. I really hoped that Arma 3 would be a real military simulator...

Nevertheless thanks for the prompt reply.

As a flight sim fan I'm really hoping for TOH fm too.

Good to hear that there are other hello-fan guys out there.

Again thanks for the prompt reply.

Hope that some kind of patch will be later released.

BI hinted also that they maybe can add some stuff so the modders can add some ToH elements. Nothing is promised.

Good news then. We have something to hope for...

Fingers crossed.

And what about fastrope and winching with helicopter ? ok for the final ?

Everything involving TKoH has been dropped. Flight model1, fast roping2, winches3, Java4. Don't expect to see any of it, ever, but especially not in release. Expecting any of this will just make you cry.

1. Definitely out.

2. Has been out for years, might as well never have been in.

3. Never heard of this, but out.

4. Probably will be abandoned entirely, but definitely out.

Now that is disappointing indeed.

Why would Bohemia Interactive leave all of these things behind?

It is supposed to be something like a simulator!?!?

And if not the TOH flight models entirely, fast-roping?

Especially fast roping is a key to quick extractions and so many more. It can not be dismissed like that. It ruins much of the fun.

It is ARMA 3. I used to regard it more highly...

I mean come on...

Nevertheless I still hope that something, even a later mod release, will patch things up. There are some experienced programmers out there. You can never know, can you?

That's sufficiently underwhelming. I'm glad I got the game at a reduced price at least since that was a huge selling point for me. Future purchases from me are seeming in question, now.

That's sufficiently underwhelming. I'm glad I got the game at a reduced price at least since that was a huge selling point for me. Future purchases from me are seeming in question, now.

I agree. I would not of purchased the game had I known that fast roping and all the other features that were promised are not implemented and never will be in the final release. I do not want those features to be paid DLC... I bought the game for what was promised by BIS. ArmA 3 is no different to ArmA 2 other than a few new features. This could of been an expansion to ArmA 2 not a new game. harsh words but it is the truth.

I agree. I would not of purchased the game had I known that fast roping and all the other features that were promised are not implemented and never will be in the final release. I do not want those features to be paid DLC... I bought the game for what was promised by BIS. ArmA 3 is no different to ArmA 2 other than a few new features. This could of been an expansion to ArmA 2 not a new game. harsh words but it is the truth.

Sorry buddy, that's kind of insane.

That is all right. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I guess it is Beta but I highly doubt the full release will be that much improved. Altis may be great though. But on topic. We were told TOH features would be included but they aren't which is sad. ArmA 3 doesn't feel like an entirely new generation game to me that's just my opinion.

yes, to change from toh-rearmed to arma3beta is a step back in key features....arma3-AiA inclusive toh features...and a dream comes true :)

I totally agree. New features and maybe graphics. Nothing more.

Sorry buddy, that's kind of insane.

Really hope that such a thing will eventually be proven...

yes, to change from toh-rearmed to arma3beta is a step back in key features....arma3-AiA inclusive toh features...and a dream comes true

A dream indeed...

and yet on another thread I saw the other day, the devs are saying the ToH flight model WILL be in A3.

Everything involving TKoH has been dropped. Flight model1, fast roping2, winches3, Java4. Don't expect to see any of it, ever, but especially not in release. Expecting any of this will just make you cry.

1. Definitely out.

2. Has been out for years, might as well never have been in.

3. Never heard of this, but out.

4. Probably will be abandoned entirely, but definitely out.

Any reason given why? Just not compatible with the A3 engine or perhaps to much work to port it over?

If I had to take a guess I'd say man power for the most part..a dev did say that TKOH mainly worked because it wasn't in the same setting as Arma 3, what with all the war but I don't see how that works considering the Take on Hinds addon that does just that, not to mention the Take on Rearmed afterwards. Furthmore VBS2 has rotorlib and I imagine CPU's work harder there.

I'd personally go for man power because you have to come up with a solution to get rotorlib and physX to cooperate rather than try to combat eachother.

There is also the mixed appeal..many people say they want something when they really don't, if someone hasn't played TKOH and asks for rotorlib then I don't think they know what they are really getting themselves into...the control scheme is similar and yet so different, even the change in collective input.

There is also the mixed appeal..many people say they want something when they really don't, if someone hasn't played TKOH and asks for rotorlib then I don't think they know what they are really getting themselves into...the control scheme is similar and yet so different, even the change in collective input.

That is so true. I mean, I am a TOH fanatic and I have played the campaign twice and it's challenges and multiplayer missions more than a dozen times but having also played Arma 2 OA, demo, too many differences have come up. Arma 2 OA is by no means realistic compared to TOH. When you fly in TOH there are so many more flight effects that you must consider. And if you get used to it flying in TOH, OA will be really frustrating. My point is that a helicopter pilot shall need some serious experience in order to participate in Arma 2,3 missions without crashing. It is hard to participate in fast extractions, fast roping and air assaults effectively. But I believe that there are enough TOH pilots to fill this gap.

If I had to take a guess I'd say man power for the most part..a dev did say that TKOH mainly worked because it wasn't in the same setting as Arma 3, what with all the war but I don't see how that works considering the Take on Hinds addon that does just that, not to mention the Take on Rearmed afterwards. Furthmore VBS2 has rotorlib and I imagine CPU's work harder there.

Well Rearmed did indeed give TOH players more missions but it's content alone, without OA, is not so sufficient. Not so many weapons or vehicles sadly. But it still is great fun.

and yet on another thread I saw the other day, the devs are saying the ToH flight model WILL be in A3.
Any reason given why? Just not compatible with the A3 engine or perhaps to much work to port it over?

I really don't know how these things work exactly with Arma games development. In another thread some said that moders could be able to transfer the TOH flight models to Arma 3 whereas others said to forget all about it. Frustrating. Just so frustrating.

Found this site, partly because i wanted to know what rotorlib was,

http://www.rtdynamics.com/v2/wp/

RotorLib is a complete helicopter dynamics middleware for tactical simulations, flight training devices and simulators. It can be easily integrated to Windows or Linux based simulations and is programmable with C++. See RotorLib CGF and RotorLib FDM.
Real-time 6 DOF airplane dynamics library

FixedWingLib is a real-time 6 DOF airplane dynamics middleware for flight training devices and simulators. Thanks to the simple C++ API, integration is simple and fast. The extensible C++ architecture allows developers and engineers to reconfigure the airplane model using the available components as building blocks. Learn more about FixedWingLib FDM or FixedWingLib CGF.

Something like this would fit the war simulator that is Arma 3 (imo)

Found this site, partly because i wanted to know what rotorlib was,

http://www.rtdynamics.com/v2/wp/

Yeah, RotorLib is what's use din ToH I believe. I wish I could find that thread where the devs confirmed ToH flight model will be in A3 (maybe not on release though, when the campaign is added I think they said) but I didn't bookmark it. It was only a recent post anyway.

Yeah, RotorLib is what's use din ToH I believe.

Correct.

I wish I could find that thread where the devs confirmed ToH flight model will be in A3 (maybe not on release though, when the campaign is added I think they said) but I didn't bookmark it. It was only a recent post anyway.

That confirmation came from Damu, the (former) project lead roughly two months after Arma3 was announced, noting that they hadn't actually evaluated it in Arma3 yet: link.

Four months later, Jay Crowe rolled that confirmation back into a "likely".

This confirmation I saw the other day was more recent than that though.

Hmm, I've been seeing a lot of posts lately with people claiming the devs had confirmed features X, Y and Z (weapon resting, TKOH flight model etc.) for "post release", but somehow no one has yet been able to point to a credible source.

So far these all seem to be rumors based on wishful thinking. I would love to be proven wrong though.