Sign in to follow this  
JohnKalo

Arma 3-TOH similarities

Hmm, I've been seeing a lot of posts lately with people claiming the devs had confirmed features X, Y and Z (weapon resting, TKOH flight model etc.) for "post release", but somehow no one has yet been able to point to a credible source.

So far these all seem to be rumors based on wishful thinking. I would love to be proven wrong though.

As I recall this thread had direct quotes from the devs, maybe even a post from a dev. Really wish I'd bookmarked it!

There was a statement from Damu on Jun 7th that TOH flight model will be in. I tought he still was a developer then. No idea what happend there and why he is listed as former developer now.

As I recall this thread had direct quotes from the devs, maybe even a post from a dev. Really wish I'd bookmarked it!

It must be really difficult if not plainly impossible sadly to find a specific post in the Arma forums. It's like a needle in a haystack.

There was a statement from Damu on Jun 7th that TOH flight model will be in. I tought he still was a developer then. No idea what happend there and why he is listed as former developer now.

Nicely played. So there was specific and accurate reports of the TOH flight models being in Arma 3.

Found this site, partly because i wanted to know what rotorlib was,

http://www.rtdynamics.com/v2/wp/

Now that is some piece of information that I was neither aware about. Thanks for the heads up RushHour.

Edited by Helicopterenthusiast

It must be really difficult if not plainly impossible sadly to find a specific post in the Arma forums. It's like a needle in a haystack.

Every thread in which a Developer posts has this icon on it on the thread list: developertracker0.png Just click that icon to be taken to the first developer post in the thread. Then at the top of each such post is the same icon which will take you to the next developer post in the thread. Just keep clicking that till you find the post you wanted. Takes forever in some of the 6000+ post threads but usually isn't bad. Former developer posts still come up with that button as well.

I remember the dev´s explained the (temporary?) axed toh by difficulties with the new physics. Maybe they thought it will be a kind of copy & paste thing because they argue with the good old "we have not enough ressources for it/lower priority-thing" :p

Thanks, that was the thread I saw.

Every thread in which a Developer posts has this icon on it on the thread list: Just click that icon to be taken to the first developer post in the thread. Then at the top of each such post is the same icon which will take you to the next developer post in the thread. Just keep clicking that till you find the post you wanted. Takes forever in some of the 6000+ post threads but usually isn't bad. Former developer posts still come up with that button as well.

Thanks but I believe that this is too much. I haven't got that much time.

from Damu on Jun 7th

June 7th, 2012. Before the Great Re-imaginingâ„¢ in October 2012. It is now an UnTruth.

Sad sad sad.

Well then maybe Bohemia Interactive could transfer some missions from Arma 3 to TOH after they make them compatible. Even without all the Arma 3 content.

It would act as a painkiller.:)

June 7th, 2012. Before the Great Re-imaginingâ„¢ in October 2012. It is now an UnTruth.

Dammit, guess wishful thinking made me miss the date on that :(

Come on, now, let's be very clear: both Joris and I worked on TKOH and we both really like the improved flight model that RTD integration offers. Joris alone made TKOH's time trials mode (and an entire free DLC) because of that! :)

Unlike some other statements made at that time, I can still stand by what was stated. If there were a reasonable way to have had this extra feature in game on launch, it'd have be there.

Making a wild promise based on unclear knowledge or experience was a mistake; rushing in a feature in to the detriment of the game and the feature itself would be a failure. That's the "great re-imagining" I'd hope you might recognise.

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile
noise controlled

Why would Bohemia Interactive leave all of these things behind?

Because in order to keep their goals achievable, they need to keep their scope within their available manpower. That's my guess. They have frequently talked about how complicated doing helicopter behaviour in rotorlib is.

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

I remember the dev´s explained the (temporary?) axed toh by difficulties with the new physics. Maybe they thought it will be a kind of copy & paste thing because they argue with the good old "we have not enough ressources for it/lower priority-thing" :p

I think the words Jay Crowe used to describe that situation was that if they were going to do something, they were going to do it right this time or not at all. It seemed like they needed to reevaluate their priorities with that commitment in mind at that time. I love Take On, and its flight model, but I also really like games that offer an experience free of weird bumps and ripples.

edit: And there's the man himself right above me.

Edited by Max Power

Maybe some time in the future we will see a TKOH mod along side ACE and ACRE or even TKOH flight system inside ACE now that would be cool me thinks.

If there were a reasonable way to have had this extra feature in game on launch, it'd have be there.

Making a wild promise based on unclear knowledge or experience was a mistake; rushing in a feature in to the detriment of the game and the feature itself would be a failure. That's the "great re-imagining" I'd hope you might recognise.

I totally understand. The "untruth" doesn't mean I thought you were lying, just that it's a feature from before the rescope of the game and therefore shouldn't be assumed to be coming or in work or anything. Just that as a joke everything pre-Oct should be considered Lost Knowledge or something, not to get our hopes up. :)

There's so many early features that people are clinging onto as being in release that just aren't going to be there. Better to assume it won't ever be part of the game and accept that and be hugely surprised if it does come in than constantly keep waiting and getting bitter when patch after patch doesn't add what "we were promised years ago".

Hmm, I've been seeing a lot of posts lately with people claiming the devs had confirmed features X, Y and Z (weapon resting, TKOH flight model etc.) for "post release", but somehow no one has yet been able to point to a credible source.

So far these all seem to be rumors based on wishful thinking. I would love to be proven wrong though.

Happens a lot here, a dev will say something that he hopes will be achieved by way of a friendly post, and that somehow becomes a promise/confirmed feature.

To be fair, that 'somehow' is because BI staff are official representatives of the company, and therefore what they say is official. Managing community the community, especially community expectations, is tricky.

Due to some posts and threads I would like to mention that TOH has indeed got fast roping whereas Arma 3 technically hasn't. You can transfer troops and they can fast rope on buildings and in general in the battlefield. In one occasion there was a sniper being fast-roped under the cover of darkness in a forest so as to take out some AA guns so as for the choppers to be safe to act.

It has been applied to both single and multiplayer missions and it is really challenging for the pilot and a great thrill for the infantry units.

Maybe I will post a picture of it sometime in the near future....

Due to some posts and threads I would like to mention that TOH has indeed got fast roping whereas Arma 3 technically hasn't. You can transfer troops and they can fast rope on buildings and in general in the battlefield. In one occasion there was a sniper being fast-roped under the cover of darkness in a forest so as to take out some AA guns so as for the choppers to be safe to act.

It has been applied to both single and multiplayer missions and it is really challenging for the pilot and a great thrill for the infantry units.

Maybe I will post a picture of it sometime in the near future....

Wasn't there problems with the ropes in MP. I seem to rememeber them only working in SP, probably why they haven't been implimented in A3.

Wasn't there problems with the ropes in MP. I seem to rememeber them only working in SP, probably why they haven't been implimented in A3.

Nope. No problems have been reported. I have personally tested MP fast-roping and no malfunctions occurred whatsoever.

Bump- I pretty much forgot about Arma 3 (I purchased preorder believing RotorLib is going to be a part of game), but now I see there are rolling out some updates for Jet's physics. I know these are completely different as RotorLib is much more complicated etc., but were there any news regarding giving us RL physics for helicopters? I am sorry if it was answered somewhere else, but search function didn't get me anywhere and I was not following forums that much for a long time. Thanks!

It seems odd that so far there was no feature request for a more advanced flight dynamics model on the A3 Community Issue Tracker.

Therefore I went ahead and created one just now.

Feel free to vote and comment. Maybe this will help to keep it on the DEV's radar.

Edited by daikan
Fixed wrong A3 CIT link

Thanks. How do I make a comment? I already voted btw.

It seems odd that so far there was no feature request for a more advanced flight dynamics model on the A3 Community Issue Tracker.

Therefore I went ahead and created one just now.

Feel free to vote and comment. Maybe this will help to keep it on the DEV's radar.

Isn't this the proper tracker for bug reports / feature requests? http://feedback.arma3.com/my_view_page.php

I've never seen the one you've linked to before and so I'm not registered and I'd hate your request to not be seen because it's in the wrong place.