Sign in to follow this  
Qosmius

Volumetric clouds keeps a constant distance to the player?

hello, i have noticed something weird when playing arma3..that is when i am flying ingame and i am looking at these beautiful clouds above my head, i decide to try to fly throu them..but the weird thing here is..the further up i go, the further away the clouds go....it seems like they are keeping a constant distance to the player to prevent us to get close to them...it is like that stairs in super mario 64 if you didnt collect all the stars before entering bowser lair

Just tested and I can still fly through them. Maybe you think that those clouds are closer than they really are? Try to fly at least at 1,5km-2km. Also those clouds bit vanish around you so there's little bubble where you can see pretty well but that doesn't make them run away from you.

No, this should not be the case at all.

You can make a simple test by:

• Start Stratis editor
  • Place a chopper, player as pilot
  • Put the Elevation parameter to 10000 (Ten thousand)
  • Preview the mission
  • You should now be above the clouds

No, this should not be the case at all.

You can make a simple test by:

• Start Stratis editor
  • Place a chopper, player as pilot
  • Put the Elevation parameter to 10000 (Ten thousand)
  • Preview the mission
  • You should now be above the clouds

Maybe not the topic to ask, but while we on the cloud subject, will there be a slider in the future (no hurry) that lets you set the cloud altitude?

Maybe not the topic to ask, but while we on the cloud subject, will there be a slider in the future (no hurry) that lets you set the cloud altitude?

I hope to have the possibility to set clouds altitude in the future to have them close to the ground so they can affect helicopter flying at low level and also shooting condition for gunner like it is in real life, because as they are right now they are indeed beautifull to look at but useless... ...and maybe also performance consuming!!!

I hope to have the possibility to set clouds altitude in the future to have them close to the ground so they can affect helicopter flying at low level and also shooting condition for gunner like it is in real life, because as they are right now they are indeed beautifull to look at but useless... ...and maybe also performance consuming!!!

That's called fog.

That's called fog.

You mean fog has been developed in the game for the purpose i was talking above?

Same here: Anybody noticed that the clouds are moving strangely when flying through the air? They disappear, they appear, they grow or thin out as per vector and speed. It's looking really weird in the air. Being on the ground everything is looking great cloud-wise, but up in the air it's ugly and pretty remarkable!

in arma2 we have not very nice but usable! clouds as a module. To have clouds in 10km altitude its like you have 2 separate levels. It would be nice to be above or within the clouds AND see ground and groundtargets at the same time.

@Hoot: Same here: Anybody noticed that the clouds are moving strangely when flying through the air? They disappear, they appear, they grow or thin out as per vector and speed. It's looking really weird in the air. Being on the ground everything is looking great cloud-wise, but up in the air it's ugly and pretty remarkable!

we will look into what we can do with the tearing effect on the clouds (at least in terms of camera movement)

and our partners from SimulWeather will look what they can do if you move within the 3D space vs the clouds

so ye we are aware of the issue(s) and will try address it

the other stuff like thunderstorm lighting on clouds and rain effects are in the TBD part, so don't put too much hopes on these in Alpha

Original thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147218-ARMA-3-TrueSky-Weather-Effects&highlight=Weather

in arma2 we have not very nice but usable! clouds as a module. To have clouds in 10km altitude its like you have 2 separate levels. It would be nice to be above or within the clouds AND see ground and groundtargets at the same time.

agree

Same here: Anybody noticed that the clouds are moving strangely when flying through the air? They disappear, they appear, they grow or thin out as per vector and speed. It's looking really weird in the air. Being on the ground everything is looking great cloud-wise, but up in the air it's ugly and pretty remarkable!
This. They know about the issue, but I cant see any improvement since start of the Alpha at all...

What I would like to see implemented is ability for mission designers to put clouds at starting points of the mission anywhere on the map. Clouds shouldn't hover all the time above our heads. I would like to see incoming storm cell about 20 kilometers off the Altis coast and just clear sky above my head.

That would be awesome.

I also noticed this, just feels like if you are flying and you head up to the cloulds it feels like they are moving away from you.