Sign in to follow this  
Polygon

Arma 3 full analysis - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

So, all in all, future setting backfired, is that the thing?

Nope, why you say that? Many new vehicles\weapons we wouldn't see otherwise, something fresh among many games.

The problem is the recycle of, mainly, turrets, and the (initial) lack of content, namely, weapons.

And I'm fucking glad they went with the 3D scopes even with its (minor) drawbacks. Welcome to 2000's!

It's not even underwater that's the issue since it was done a year ago. Remember how they've spent time adding gimmicky 3D scopes a few months back?

I know you're determined to hyper-focus on all problems and ignore are all progress, but the (admittedly half-assed) 3D scope contribute to solving one of your pet peeves about player accuracy, since they make sniping and searching for targets much harder. No longer will we have the A2 situation of entire squads of ACOG equipped players scouring the map of all life like sniper kill bots.

This moment of evenhandedness brought to you by maturin.

Yeah I remember saying that shooting with HAMRs & Co takes more skill now. Yet cons (named above) outweigh that by FAR. Also don't forget that on the other hand sniper rifles were made a lot more broken since they have no recoil now and zeroing of up to 2.3 kms.

Sure killing targets while having "3D" scopes is harder yet does it really make up for everybody having mostly the same guns (and even loadouts) as their sworn enemies?

- No progression at all on the anticheat: basically any cheat developed for Arma2 now works on Arma3 (even those ones not script-based, by just changing the pointers);

enligthen us, what exactly you want impoved there?

- No progression at all on the anticheat: basically any cheat developed for Arma2 now works on Arma3 (even those ones not script-based, by just changing the pointers);

And here it goes, WalkerDown with his endless anti-cheat arguments which make no sense. Could you please stop that?

Improvement? You needed to deploy a whole new solution, specifically designed for this game/engine... but you decided to ignore the problem. And you know what? I don't care, good luck.

Improvement? You needed to deploy a whole new solution, specifically designed for this game/engine... but you decided to ignore the problem. And you know what? I don't care, good luck.

You seem to have a good idea of what this solution is, care to enlighten us?

again,what solution, or do you run in circles with empty 'change everything' ?

I just thought I should mention, that I can't help but wonder if maybe Arma as a cpu oriented game can benefit from optimizations. Although I couldn't possibly know how to do this, not being a developer, I wonder if BIS could perhaps somehow make use of this push-pull system that is said to be used by Autodesk Maya, with its node system (complex stuff, node system, has layers of programming languages). Iirc, update of data revolves around the screen refresh function, updating the data for nodes that are marked with a dirty flag to prevent having to repeatedly update everything. :) This stuff is explained in the book "Complete Maya Programming: An Extensive Guide to MEL and C++ API" iirc.

again,what solution, or do you run in circles with empty 'change everything' ?

And there lies the problem for you BIS, it is WAAYYYYY TOO LATE for you to solve anything to this massive FUBAR. I think you should have stopped at Arma 2 and saved yourself some face.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

So, all in all, future setting backfired, is that the thing?

A big part of it.

come on Dwarden..... there is an anti cheat program out there that a lot of companies are using and its very simple...as soon as cheating is detected INTERPOL is automatically notified and an A-10 is dispatched with coordinates to the cheaters house :p:cool: it really counts down on return visits from the same cheater ;)

come on Dwarden..... there is an anti cheat program out there that a lot of companies are using and its very simple...as soon as cheating is detected INTERPOL is automatically notified and an A-10 is dispatched with coordinates to the cheaters house :p:cool: it really counts down on return visits from the same cheater ;)

Well I know a better one called NSA, that sends a drone wherever you are and blows you up with a missile. :yay:

And there lies the problem for you BIS, it is WAAYYYYY TOO LATE for you to solve anything to this massive FUBAR. I think you should have stopped at Arma 2 and saved yourself some face.

What is the problem? Seriously tell us and explain it well.

---------- Post added at 00:09 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

What exactly is wrong with BattleEye? It has to monitor for cheaters in a game of infinite possibilities. A server owner can configure it to the specific mission.

I also hear of an amazing new anti cheat program called nProtect GameGuard that I hear works amazingly.

you forgot that cheating in Arma 3 triggers lock by orbital kinetic penetrator and anything escaping the hit is subject covered by our Future Ninjas ;)

you forgot that cheating in Arma 3 triggers lock by orbital kinetic penetrator and anything escaping the hit is subject covered by our Future Ninjas ;)

Forget that, the Tsar Bomba launched from orbit is more suitable to prevent repeat offenders.

Forget that, the Tsar Bomba launched from orbit is more suitable to prevent repeat offenders.

I vote Ion Cannon. (Almost) No collateral damage.

I vote Ion Cannon. (Almost) No collateral damage.

The Tsar Bomba is the biggest warhead that has ever been made. The creators toned it down a bit before launch because they were concerned it would cause too much nuclear fallout.

Back on topic gentlemen please!

On a side note, I hear BIS have Rambo, Chuck Norris, Jackie Chan, Clint Eastwood, Bruce Lee and Hulk Hogan on standby to "pop round" if your caught cheating.

You seem to have a good idea of what this solution is, care to enlighten us?

They should have spent these years to change (in certain part) the logic of the current script engine in first glance, atm the client is concentric and there's almost no verification layer to identify the fake requests from the legit (mission scripting) ones. Instead they accepted the current situation like the problem doesn't exists. The current anti-cheats aren't really preventing anything, they are simply "following" the cheaters by blocking the most-known ones, identifying em by keywords.

They should have spent these years to change (in certain part) the logic of the current script engine in first glance, atm the client is concentric and there's almost no verification layer to identify the fake requests from the legit (mission scripting) ones. Instead they accepted the current situation like the problem doesn't exists. The current anti-cheats aren't really preventing anything, they are simply "following" the cheaters by blocking the most-known ones, identifying em by keywords.

So, you want them to create a brand new engine? As far as I have seen there hasn't been a lot of hacking happening on the public servers that I have been on, in fact I haven't seen any and if this is indicative for Battleye then aren't they doing a good job?

As far as how it's but an evolution/tweaking of the Arma 2 engine: it seems to me that the current issues over with DayZ standalone development (still no public alpha, still not hitting enough internal milestones for public release) were, if not something that the Arma 3 dev team's powers-that-be could have foreseen, something that they didn't want to risk by going with "a brand new engine", plus you have the Arma 3 project lead explicitly ruling out the DayZ approach to anti-cheat... which, however indirectly, is the hold-up that's been preventing DayZ from getting a public release so far.

You need to remember that the DayZ engine is now a MMO architecture, totally different from A3's engine.

You need to remember that the DayZ engine is now a MMO architecture, totally different from A3's engine.

That's the point, sherlock. ;)

So, you want them to create a brand new engine?

To review their engine and change the optic... i'm not sure what's your point. This game is called "ArmA3" ... so because there's the word "Arma" in it, they can't do a new game, but instead they have to update the old one? So let's sell another A2 expansion instead.

If certain parts of your engine aren't working correctly, or are outdated, an you know it already by years, you must be prepared to re-work that piece.. or are they lazy to do so?

As far as I have seen there hasn't been a lot of hacking happening on the public servers that I have been on, in fact I haven't seen any and if this is indicative for Battleye then aren't they doing a good job?

I run a wasteland server (ye I know..) and I ban around 3 ppl per day, and these are only the ones I caught when speed-watching the logs (the lazy/ignorant ones that doesn't even change the cheat/script labels)... unfortunately I don't have anymore the time I had with A2 and DayZ, when I had to spend half of my day to watch all the logs and monitor the user to caught that single user that were ruining the game for anyone else.. because you know: one cheater in arma is capable of empty your server in one second. You consider this a minor pain? For me is one of the main reason that have ruined by Arma2 experience in the past years.