[TD]TvN1by.jpg NbRKqk.jpg cytV38.jpg xp0MrN.jpg

Daylight RP

Daylight RP is a new generation role-playing game mode and a
for Bohemia Interactives ArmA 3. In its very core, Daylight RP stands for
innovation
polished features
and
openness

It is a fresh look in to ArmAverse role-playing. Taking inspiration from earlier role-playing missions in the ArmA-series, Daylight RP aims to best the best role-playing experience for the great community of Armed Assault.

Daylight RP is a mix of
removing ideas that did not work
keeping the ones that did work
and
introducing many of our new ideas
. The whole dev team behind Daylight RP is in great respect of earlier role-playing missions in the past ArmA-titles.

Tools of the trade

» Daylight RP is written from scratch with usability, editability and optimization in mind.
Daylight RP is completely open source
and anyone willing can either submit their own code to the main project or fork their own version of Daylight RP.

» The main branch of Daylight RP will not use any add-ons. This makes Daylight RP optimal to be hosted on public servers.

Experience true in-character gameplay with character creation, your character will have unique name and your ArmA 3-nickname will only be used for out-of-character purposes.

» The main branch of Daylight RP will have a lot of things to do and explore. The main branch of Daylight RP will take place in the warmth of Altis,
it is up to you how you want to play the game!

» Your progress in-game is based on your ability to team-play and the actual skills of players. There are no artificial counters or meters of your progress.

What the critics say

We love criticism & comments, they cheer us up and keep us motivated. Here is some of the critique from Daylight RP from our awesome critics.
Awesome project.
:o *fap-fap-fap* just needed to say this :D
damn that looks incredible

Giving us comments and/or criticism will ensure we work twice as hard, so
don't forget to post your response!
drinks.gif

The team

The team behind Daylight RP consist of role-playing veterans. In other words, we know what we're doing.

Scripting

qbt
— Lead programmer

Gameplay Design

Ezcoo
— Gameplay Designer

justice
— Gameplay Designer

The Daylight RP-test server is hosted by

Closing

The whole dev-team is eager to bring you Daylight RP and make it the best experience possible.
Help us and yourself by giving us your comments, ideas and criticism. We cant wait to hear what you have to say!
:cool:

In the meanwhile,
. There is some outdated information, but most of it has carried out to ArmA 3 even though the complete code of Daylight was rewritten when switching to ArmA 3.

Get ready to jump in to the shoes of your own character. What will you do, what will you become like?
The journey is the reward — we'll see you in Daylight RP!

PQQn5Q.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by qbt

you are back?! Wooo, i don't like to repeat myself, but...

:o *fap-fap-fap* just needed to say this :D

you are back?! Wooo, i don't like to repeat myself, but...

That's right, we're back and we're stronger than ever! :dance1:

Btw, since arma 3 engine, supports picture in picture, just came up with an idea. I'm playing Payday 2 recently, and love the bankrob mission.

I could imagine, you could implement some stuffs from there? For example, puting cameras in bank, make extra locked security room, with a player, whos watching on things there. With picture in picture feature, i could imagine, there could be displays, showing cameras footage in real time. Alarm knob, so he can call police if anything happens etc. The robbers wearing clown or whatever masks and bullte protection, also possible with arma 3 now. Have to hijack the safe to get the money first etc. SWAT team, could have smoke and flash granades, already made for arma 3, but i have not link for that addon. If you played payday 1 at least, you should have an idea what i'm talking about.

Good luck man. This is pretty amazing stuff.

And, I hope this catches on, because, to be honest, I'd never heard of it 'till recently. Gonna have to keep an eye on it.

In a nutshell,

Daylight RP will be multiplayer RP platform for Arma 3 that anyone can edit and customize under the license terms that will be published later. There are some features that are especially designed to support customization. For example, items are structured with class system. It makes adding a new item class and linking special functionality to it – and thus controlling the handling of items in general – quite easy.

Our key points in the mission design are:

• fun!
  • tension
  • contrast
  • maturity
  • diversity
  • immersion
  • coherence
  • interaction
  • new concepts
  • proper balancing
  • maintaining the necessity of cooperation, being tactical and playing your cards right
  • extensive built-in support for proper administration (this does not mean spawn tools)

We did a big mistake with the Arma 2 version by showing you features that were not implemented in the game yet. We also had severe difficulties with the schedules because of the unexpected changes and events, unexpected amount of extra work and too frequently changing mission design, which lead to situation where we designers (justice and I) were having a burnout while qbt didn't have much work to do. It lead to cancelling Daylight RP in Arma 2. It was not a good idea to show you many ideas that we had and then cancel the mission, so this time we'll keep low profile till we actually have something to show.

In addition, we had the advantage of very high level of know-how in Arma 2, because our team has thousands of hours experience of playing RP in Arma 2. We knew the game and the RP in general better than our pockets. However, Arma 3 differs a lot from Arma 2 and we're not completely familiar with the changed and new features of the game, unlike in Arma 2. That might occasionally slow us down a little bit. On the other hand, the experience that we got from developing the Arma 2 version (most of it by failing in practice :D) helps us a lot.

We have an open, dedicated mission tester group on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/a3dlrptests – people who are interested in seeing the early versions of the game and giving very valuable feedback that can have big influence in the mission can join the group. The public test events and abuse tests will be announced only via this group.

I'm also looking forward seeing YOUR suggestions. We're very interested to hear ideas from everyone and then possibly realize some that fit the mission design and balancing. Careers, general mission design, new concepts, anything can be suggested.

---------- Post added at 07:04 ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 ----------

Btw, since arma 3 engine, supports picture in picture, just came up with an idea. I'm playing Payday 2 recently, and love the bankrob mission.

I could imagine, you could implement some stuffs from there? For example, puting cameras in bank, make extra locked security room, with a player, whos watching on things there. With picture in picture feature, i could imagine, there could be displays, showing cameras footage in real time. Alarm knob, so he can call police if anything happens etc. The robbers wearing clown or whatever masks and bullte protection, also possible with arma 3 now. Have to hijack the safe to get the money first etc. SWAT team, could have smoke and flash granades, already made for arma 3, but i have not link for that addon. If you played payday 1 at least, you should have an idea what i'm talking about.

I've personally wanted to make the bank robbery a noticeable and important event like you describe. Diverse features during bank robbery were planned and documented in Arma 2 version already, and they're still on to-do list. However, some important and complex(ish) features and under-the-hood stuff must be implemented to the mission before our plans related to the bank robbery can be realized, so the final version of bank robbery might take some time.

Good luck man. This is pretty amazing stuff.

And, I hope this catches on, because, to be honest, I'd never heard of it 'till recently. Gonna have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks. Time will tell, if we can actually finish the project this time :p

Good good, i can clearly see daylight is being made to improve the roleplay between players and where normal abusers/griefers will have hard time to exist.

Also as you written daylight will be on Altis(the bigger island) that will be very interesting.

I will be more than happy to cooperate again and host a server :)

Good good, i can clearly see daylight is being made to improve the roleplay between players and where normal abusers/griefers will have hard time to exist.

Also as you written daylight will be on Altis(the bigger island) that will be very interesting.

The support of proper administration is one of our key points for a reason. For example, people often complained "how crappy this server is" on the RP servers in A2 all the time, when they got pissed off by griefers spoiling their game and script kiddies causing unnecessary restarts. But when there were no griefers or script kiddies on and everything went well, all complaining and rage stopped suddenly, and we could have 50 players online without getting a single complaint or seeing any sign of bad behaviour for hours – simply because players had finally possibility to concentrate to the game.

However, finding these griefers and script kiddies and cleaning the server from those was very hard without any admin tools. People often complained about horrible admins and bad quality of gameplay because of them, but the reason was rather lacking admin tools than the bad admins. You could often hear that "admins are lazy, they're not responding" etc. but actually they didn't respond often because they were too busy with previous cases that they had to investigate. For example, checking stats of a player could take up to 30 mins, you had to quit your game to do that, and that check revealed the stats only partially. Then you got comment like "where's the admin?? i need him now, they're such lazyasses cuz they're not responding!" as a reward. And all that could have been done with a single mouse click! :p

I will be more than happy to cooperate again and host a server :)

That's always nice to know, especially when we take into account that power of hardware on your servers! ;)

I had the opportunity to test the daylight on arma 3 :yay: and i have to say they got some sweet ideas, the UI looks awesome and is very unique and friendly not like the ones on current Life servers, this one is far more advanced just like the features.

Driving while drunk was never so fun ;p

One thing i hate about daylight is that its not out already :cool:

Driving while drunk was never so fun ;p

Hm... In that case I'd like to tweak it, I'm not really willing to make drunk driving actually fun.

As long as you don't make it like GTA IV's drunk driving. That just makes my eyes hurt.

Meanwhile, you say it takes place on Altis. How will you utilize all the things on Altis, like the research facility, the big fancier airport over the smaller dirt airstrips, the graveyard, etc etc?

We will use an area on Altis, never the whole map. The interaction between players is crucial. If we used the whole map, the players would get scattered around the area and they would barely see each other. It's a no-go. We have two areas on the map that interest us, but both of them seem to have a severe weakness. The first seems to have poor terrain and the second has road structure that makes mission design very hard. I'm really looking forward for the Altis on dev version, so that we could finally discover the map and decide the area that we'll use.

We will use an area on Altis, never the whole map. The interaction between players is crucial. If we used the whole map, the players would get scattered around the area and they would barely see each other. It's a no-go. We have two areas on the map that interest us, but both of them seem to have a severe weakness. The first seems to have poor terrain and the second has road structure that makes mission design very hard. I'm really looking forward for the Altis on dev version, so that we could finally discover the map and decide the area that we'll use.

And don't forget that you can always make a fork of Daylight RP and make your own playable area! :dance1:

I just spent a good 5 hours developing Daylight RP, and we're making great progress! Expect updates soon.

So what'll you have to keep players from exploration? Having it a fenced off area due to extreme insurgent activity? Borders of Altis with another country, like a smaller scale Haiti/Dominican Republic (though that would be cool if we could access both halves of the country). I'm imagining you'll have to have both Myrina AND Moudrous as part of the play area, being two large, very important cities of Altis. Though, speaking of players: how many would you probably have to keep it properly populated? The typical 64, maybe 72, 128 if possible?

Also, seeing the drug shop picture, I have two questions: would heroine really be only 10 euros (just imagining that they'd be more expensive as feds crack down). The second question being: what affects will the drugs have? Will they have performance impacts, what'll they look like, will it warp sound some how, etc?

The mission area will be indicated on the map and there will be restrictions that prevent players from exiting the area. We'll probably use either one of the areas that you mentioned, but nothing will be decided before we get our hands on the Altis. I'm personally aiming at about 50-60 players, but like said before, anyone can make his/her edition with the platform under the license terms.

The price of heroine in the drug shop is just a placeholder that was put there for a shop interaction test. The drug effects have low priority, because the drugs have rather instrumental value as way of earning money (and roleplaying, of course) than being intrinsic values. On the other hand, trying to eat/use large amounts of them (often caused by being chased by cops) will result in realistic outcome: death.

I have a server over at Vilayer I could host this on to test it out if you need a test bed

Thanks for the kind offer mate! Unfortunately, we have test servers and host already. Anyway, I really appreciate your offer. :)

would it make sense, to test it on Strtis first, before we go on on Altis? I'm sure this would help alot.

would it make sense, to test it on Strtis first, before we go on on Altis? I'm sure this would help alot.

The mission core itself is being developed and tested by me daily on Stratis, however, all gameplay elements are and will be designed for Altis by justice and Ezcoo.

Yes, the Stratis serves as platform for functionality and bug/abuse tests, but both I and justice are putting our effort to design the map on Altis. I hope that they'll release the map on dev branch ASAP...

One thing that I'd like to point out is that the main difference between Daylight RP and existing Life missions is that the focus in Daylight RP is on working and coherent "big picture" or "long term gameplay" (I don't know any exact term for this) while the other RP missions seem to be concentrating more on the details. I would describe it so that we want to make a coherent entity instead of bunch of details just put together. Some servers used missions that were designed like that in A2, and the gameplay on those servers was excellent in our opinions. The climate was relatively mature and everyone was enjoying their time. People were having fun despite of the disturbing factors that were clearly present. We'd like to achieve that, and hopefully make it even a little better.

Edited by Ezcoo

Looking amazing!

Will you make it possible to use statsave with the mission?

Looking amazing!

Thanks! Due to the easy extendability of Daylight RP it is very easy for anyone to implement a statsave-system, but this won't be supported in the main branch at least in the beginning.

Looking amazing!

The mission design is meant to support runtimes between 200 and 1500 minutes (roughly, don't consider these as absolute limits, they're really flexible instead), so there's no crucial need for statsave. However, as qbt said, the core can be edited relatively easily to support servers with much longer runtimes of the rounds, and this includes the ease of implementing statsave system. We have "backup" statsave on to-do list (to retrieve the game after server crash or unexpected restart), but it's low priority because there are other, quite effective features with higher priority that work as preventive measures against factors that might cause unwanted server restarts or crashes.

Long story short, we'd like rather to prevent issues from becoming issues than cleaning up the mess after the stuff has hit the fan.

Have you considered making a sort of underground bunker? Like, see the 3 bunker entrances at Stratis Airfield, maybe make a room somewhere no one will reach that people who enter would teleport to so people military could plan how to deal with things there, or use them as storage? Or say, place some entrances around the mountains to make a tunnel for smugglers or insurgents?