Sign in to follow this  
ShotgunSheamuS

Anyone else concerned about ARMA 3 launch September?

You realize the unrealistic nature of the crytek3 engine is that it cannot compete with the vast terrain the arma engine uses... We want realistic games not just something that will look nice and pretty. Also when is the last time you heard of a community working together like we do for Arma... Granted sometimes the devs force us to do so. Seriously peddle your crytek childsplay somewhere it is welcomed.

You realize the unrealistic nature of the crytek3 engine is that it cannot compete with the vast terrain the arma engine uses... We want realistic games not just something that will look nice and pretty. Also when is the last time you heard of a community working together like we do for Arma... Granted sometimes the devs force us to do so. Seriously peddle your crytek childsplay somewhere it is welcomed.

Dunno who's talking about Cryengine but many of those games do have pretty big maps... overall I think most engines can do big maps well but ARMA is going for some absurdly high draw distances too.

I'm starting to remember what happened two years ago at this time... (ala Red Orchestra 2)..

Dunno who's talking about Cryengine but many of those games do have pretty big maps... overall I think most engines can do big maps well but ARMA is going for some absurdly high draw distances too.

Pipe dream. They're maps aren't remotely close as far as scale let alone showing they can handle proper ballistics, and hundreds of semi-autonomous AI. If they were close -we'd have seen it by now.

If a broken piece of garbage Payday 2 (with bad optimization, connectivity issues, terrible AI, and no SP content) can get a pretty good Metacritic ( http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/payday-2 ), I'm entirely sure Arma 3 deserves 85-90 with some of the gameplay issues fixed until release and AI fully enhanced.

It should be added that this year has by far the most media hype I've ever seen for an Arma game, and most of what I've seen barely if even mentions DayZ except in passing. :p Did we not have a "news articles about Arma 3 from outside media" thread back in 2009 or something? Hahaha...

Arma 2 had about 75-80 out of 100.

And game reviewers do know that Arma-games will get better with patches, so reviewing it may be difficult, Arma 2 now is far better than Arma 2 on the release day.

With the release of Arma 3, I would guess the score will be a bit higher.

As importantly, we've had ongoing months-long media coverage of Arma 3 as well thanks to the public alpha and beta releases.

@Chortles

We played on the DEV branch. First to see what might be fixed in the next patch & of course, whats not and secound cause finally the task modules seems to work, which i must say is a nice improvment, even if i got my scripts ready for tasks.

Are you sure that most of the fixes are not working for multiplayer, or did i missunderstood?

I said that basically the prior stable branch was a long time ago and thus the majority of the MP scene, which is on stable branch, doesn't yet benefit from the fixes that you've seen.

sorry, just stood up:D

we dont play public, and mostly my own missions in COOP.

but yesterday we tested operation wirecut, which i adjusted for 3 players, usually its Coop@2.

But...

1. Same in editor

2. Same in editor

3. Same in editor

4. Ok, seen that only in MP so far.

Again im about to release my first mission soon, i love the game, but so far without having seen the full release im a bit dissapointing about the amount of bugs.

And it annoys me a bit that they add new fancy watchtowers just for the optics, cause the AI is bugging them. There are hatches too! if those works for AI i dont complain about i cant hit them but they me;-=)! but yea, would be a feature and as we can see more important things are there for AI. basic things!

Not worried at all. Sure there are still some things I'd dearly like to see improved, but the bug tracking and updates will go on as usual. And most of us are aware that if BIS doesn't fix it , it's because they aren't multi limbed Hindi gods.

Not worried at all. Sure there are still some things I'd dearly like to see improved, but the bug tracking and updates will go on as usual. And most of us are aware that if BIS doesn't fix it , it's because they aren't multi limbed Hindi gods.
Pretty much this, and I'm actually comfortable with some of the implicit reasons behind such an "early" launch.

Pretty much this, and I'm actually comfortable with some of the implicit reasons behind such an "early" launch.

Hmm, there were reasons given for the "premature" release ? I can't remember any, and beyond "getting it out before the BF4/COD:G hype starts", I can only think of "We need the money" (which I don't really believe)

Seriously guys ... alpha,beta or final mean nothing in the world of BI ... i will stick to A2 until A3 becomes playable ! so i really don't worry about that,it has been the tradition for all the previous titles (this is the last time i buy a game before final release ^^)

Seriously guys ... alpha,beta or final mean nothing in the world of BI ... i will stick to A2 until A3 becomes playable ! so i really don't worry about that,it has been the tradition for all the previous titles (this is the last time i buy a game before final release ^^)

Not for me it isn't... As a result I paid about £30 and still get the final, completed version. I'll make my mind up about the DLC on the fly but probably get them all anyways :D

Not really... Since they allowed us to buy Arma 3 before the official release date most of the people who are interested in it already bought it making release... Just a patch...

I think you need to go play a totally fresh install of OG ArmA 2 before you start complaining about this stuff, honestly. That shit is limited. Keep in mind that assets are much harder to generate, especially now that they aren't reusing and rebuilding older assets. And if we're all going to play a game full of custom content anyway, I'd rather see the systems improved (for example, I'd much rather see them overhaul how the armor system works, as it is now it's pretty terrible, than just getting a few more jets, which I never use or have used in my missions or play sessions) than get extra content that other people will give us anyway, especially with what the vehicles and weapons are that they've released in the game. I'll wait for someone to make some good real world, current service rifles and vehicles and use those anyway.

From what I've seen so far in conjunction with the devs statement that they intend to fully support this game for 4 to 5 years and possibly beyond I'm satisfied. It's already pretty good and with only more content and some needed fixes yet to come it will only get better. I will fully support those that fully support the PC gaming community like BI does instead of catering to the console-twitch crowd and the bottom line like what has happened to Battlefield since the Desert Combat days. DICE sold out and now their product is crap for PC players and they don't care one bit. It's quite refreshing to see that here the Devs actually come into the forum-fray and actively participate instead of hiding in their offices and letting the mods take all the heat. I say KUDOS to BI and I'm looking forward to many years of killing enemy pixels ;)

From what I've seen so far in conjunction with the devs statement that they intend to fully support this game for 4 to 5 years and possibly beyond,

I'm satisfied. It's already pretty good and with only more content and some needed fixes yet to come it will only get better.

I will fully support those that fully support the PC gaming community like BI does instead of catering to the console-twitch crowd and the bottom line like what has happened to Battlefield since the Desert Combat days.

DICE sold out and now their product is crap for PC players and they don't care one bit.

It's quite refreshing to see that here the Devs actually come into the forum-fray and actively participate instead of hiding in their offices and letting the mods take all the heat. I say KUDOS to BI and I'm looking forward to many years of killing enemy pixels ;)

Quoted for readability, not having a go at Sgt.Rock btw.

Hmm.. I tried para breaking and the doggone editor would not let me for some unknown reason.

But now it seems fine.. Oh Well.. stuff happens ;)

From what I've seen so far in conjunction with the devs statement that they intend to fully support this game for 4 to 5 years and possibly beyond I'm satisfied.

It's already pretty good and with only more content and some needed fixes yet to come it will only get better.

I will fully support those that fully support the PC gaming community like BI does instead of catering to the console-twitch crowd and the bottom line like what has happened to Battlefield since the Desert Combat days.

DICE sold out and now their product is crap for PC players and they don't care one bit.

It's quite refreshing to see that here the Devs actually come into the forum-fray and actively participate instead of hiding in their offices and letting the mods take all the heat.

I say KUDOS to BI and I'm looking forward to many years of killing enemy pixels ;)

Funny thing about that is when you have Dean Hall saying "It’s like, I think that if DICE wanted to kill Arma, all they’d need to do is release some modding tools tomorrow. Psh, gone."

Actual context at the link of course (Dean Hall talking up the importance of modding), I'm admittedly excerpting for shock value. ;) (A great summation here though!)

The way I see it, people have nostalgia goggles for A2's release, remember, it's not fair to compare to Arrowhead, just Vanilla A2 at release.

-One jet? A2 only had 2 Cas jets at launch

-More guns? That's really only because of A2's more primitive implementation of weapons variants. For instance in A2 "M4, M$ Acog, M4 CCO = 3 different weapons" In A3 "M4= 1 weapon with various attachments".

-No campaign? You got me on that, but official full campaigns on release were always pretty broken, a much better postponed campaign is better than broken dog crap at release (of course if the DLC ampaign is still crap, then we have a big problem).

-The enhanced and smoothed out movement and vehicle handling (complain all you want, it is WELL ahead of A2 or OA) alone are enough to make me never want to go back to comparatively clunky old A2OA.

-We are already getting a lot of mod content and the game hasn't even released. How many playable mods did A2 have pre-release? Exactly.

-No weapon resting? A fair complaint, but I don't think it's fair to call the game not fit for release for not having some features when it has added alot and improved core gameplay/functionality and has a lot bigger scale. Trust me though, I'm not shtrugging it off, I want bipods as much as the next real Arma fan but it is still not a deal-breaker when all things are considered.

As always, BIS will ad much more after release, not even including the campaign they will likely add more post release than any prior game.