Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

KEYS: No action menu

Sakura would if you would guesstimate a little bit will BI tools 3 open

new options regarding action keys replacement that you are working on?

Greetings enex.

Wow love it need it! A FPS shouldn't have annoying menus, your on the "Truepath". As all your work is. If and when love to play with it.

PS; you do good videos.

Would if you would guesstimate a little bit will BI tools 3 open

new options regarding action keys replacement that you are working on?

Shouldn't change anything, it is all scripting and config changes so I don't have to edit any models.

you do good videos.

I'm glad someone liked them, I was thinking they were a little boring/ranting. I've never made a youtube video with a voiceover before.

As for progress I am working towards my first partial release, it won't be full featured to start, though. The first release will focus on removing action menu items and updating the keyboard controls. It won't include any scripted features at this point due to an absence of multiplayer testing. However, it makes the most difference to gameplay compared to the scripted stuff like door opening and automatic ladders. As a related project I am going to release a toolkit/tutorial for modders that will help them to add features to their addons without using the action menu. Think of using the afterburner on a jet without using the action menu.

Edited by Sakura_Chan

I'm glad someone liked them, I was thinking they were a little boring/ranting. I've never made a youtube video with a voiceover before.

As for progress I am working towards my first partial release, it won't be full featured to start, though. The first release will focus on removing action menu items and updating the keyboard controls. It won't include any scripted features at this point due to an absence of multiplayer testing. However, it makes the most difference to gameplay compared to the scripted stuff like door opening and automatic ladders. As a related project I am going to release a toolkit/tutorial for modders that will help them to add features to their addons without using the action menu. Think of using the afterburner on a jet without using the action menu.

they are not boring. just like to watch them. thx for your work. looking forward to the release.

btw. i also have all action menu-position set to keyboard. so your addon is really welcome ;)

Two questions, Sakura.

1 - Will you consider building your addon (in later stages, when the scripted stuff comes) in several PBOs or, with a user config, so that we can enable/disable parts of it? (I'm not a big fan of the autoladder concept, for example. I know that would get me killed eventually)

2 - How do you plan to deal with the medical aspects of things? I've been working on a little something for my community, I'm pretty sure some of us may end up using your mod, and I wonder how this is gonna play out.

Excellent job.

1 - Will you consider building your addon (in later stages, when the scripted stuff comes) in several PBOs or, with a user config, so that we can enable/disable parts of it? (I'm not a big fan of the autoladder concept, for example. I know that would get me killed eventually)

2 - How do you plan to deal with the medical aspects of things? I've been working on a little something for my community, I'm pretty sure some of us may end up using your mod, and I wonder how this is gonna play out.

1. Yes. In my defense, I am putting a lot of work into the ladder system, so you really won't be able to accidentally activate a ladder.

2. That is beyond the scope of this addon.

I posted another video, this time I do a preview of the release content

t_91RNobyb8

Finally, I won't have to deal with the action menu anymore. Thanks a lot, can't wait for the release!

Collision lights don't have a key so that needs to be in the action menu. Bohemia needs to give key for that.

I'm so using this when you release it. Makes the Arma experience so much better. This will make the game so much more user friendly.

2. That is beyond the scope of this addon.

Guess my question came out wrong: was just wondering, since the default "medical system" goes through the action menu, if you were to deal with it (assign a key, treat it as default action) or just leave it as is.

Anyway, if I ever get killed by a ladder, no matter the circumstances, rest assured that I'll blame it on you! :D

Edit: Well, watching that video answered that.

Edited by BlackMamb

Great video.I really like your overview and commentary.Beats letters and sentences anytime!

You could include option menu with arranged controls too!And customization of icons (size of them).

Glad is coming soon! ;)

Great Mod Sakura

One question...does mouse wheel still work with doors?...opening just a little to peek in!

That is one feature of this mod that really gets me excited...:rolleyes:

Are you watching Bohemia.... ARE YOU WATCHING!!!

Great job man, I think you should try to talk to the guys developing ACE, they could definetly use this in the upcoming release for Arma 3.

Are you watching Bohemia.... ARE YOU WATCHING!!!

Great job man, I think you should try to talk to the guys developing ACE, they could definetly use this in the upcoming release for Arma 3.

I'm watching. Good Job Sakura Chan, waiting for more :)

^ If I would be in sakura's place that would be give me big moral boost ^

Wow so good !

So simple but big improvement for Arma if it work.

I wait that feature as many as I have been waiting the weapon reload while moving in OFP/Arma series (So many years ! ;) )

waiting for more

Its coming :)

Well I had the good part of today all to myself to work on this. I did some housekeeping like separating the different parts of the mod into separate .pbos. I made some more icons, I widened the keyboard controls menu so now you can see really long keybindings that include joystick or gamepad bindings. I had one setback, I can't change the icon sizes from within A3, at least as far as I can tell. I did a little research and found that there are certain people who would prefer no "quick" icons at all, so I made that an ingame option.

I did some singleplayer testing with Binkowski's mission 'Infantry' to get used to the new action menu. The first run was a health squadwipe because I over-flanked into the enemy reinforcements haha. The next try was almost flawless, no casualties. It was really smooth, I was grabbing ammo out of backpacks and switching weapons with my teammates. One thing I noticed is that the "team" menu in the map could use a little help. It would be nice to open the inventory of a soldier and not have to close it before opening the inventory of the next soldier, I just want to click on the name and have it update. It was kind of annoying to go through all 9 teammates to see who was in the bushes with the rocket launcher. It would have been okay If I checked before combat though. I wonder how hard it would be to change this and maybe reapply the "gear" option to the mission start?

I'm not posting a release date, but I would say "very soon".

This is GREAT. :D

One question though: how will you access the old action menu? Still with the mouse wheel or with another keybind? Because if the mouse wheel finally gets freed it can be used for stance adjustments.

Yay!

This is GREAT. :D

One question though: how will you access the old action menu? Still with the mouse wheel or with another keybind? Because if the mouse wheel finally gets freed it can be used for stance adjustments.

Yay!

I already access it with arrow keys and use space or enter to select. Then just put mouse wheel up to your move forward key and mouse wheel down to your backwards key and that way you can ctrl+mouse scroll your stance. It's a shame that those adjust up or downs are coded to the move keys :(

Thank you. Can't wait to try this.

Yay!

I already access it with arrow keys and use space or enter to select. Then just put mouse wheel up to your move forward key and mouse wheel down to your backwards key and that way you can ctrl+mouse scroll your stance. It's a shame that those adjust up or downs are coded to the move keys :(

Smart. I will copy that.

The problem is when Sakura_Chan's addon is released, then I would like to keep the mouse wheel for doors. I need a secondary mouse wheel...

Actually the action menu don't pop up when you hold the adjust key so you can still keep mouse scroll for the action menu. Why I pretty much use arrow keys to scroll the action menu is because my scroll sucks :P

I haven't posted in a while, but I have been working on this a lot. The newest thing is I discovered how to release the action icons from the weapon cursor. This will be an in-game option and you will be able to place it where you want using the layout editor. I also added the option to remove the identification text that was always beside the cursor. The end user should be able to set up the action menu the way they want to within the game itself. You can even completely remove the icons all together and just use the action menu itself (ie no pop up text). I may add the ability to disable the weapon crosshairs regardless of the difficulty setting (I need to do some research to see if that is necessary).

Some pics with new icons (Still WIP)

actionicons1.jpg

actionicons2.jpg