Sign in to follow this  
762WorldOrder

Does ofp support joystick rudder controls?

I'm using a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro (USB).

When I'm on the ground, I can twist my stick back and forth and turn in the appropriate direction, just like a real rudder on the ground. However, as soon as I take off that functionality disappears.

It's damn near impossible to line a fast-moving jet up with a target when you have no rudder controls. Is there something I'm missing here? Why does the rudder work on the ground but not in the air? Otherwise my jet handles great with my joystick, throttle and all.

The problem with jet aircraft is that they have almos no rudder control when they are at speed. I had a length discussion at a forum discussing Janes F/A18. They all thought I was crazy when I thought that you should be able to turn the plane with that, and I was seen as some kind of dinosaur, flying pre-1946 planes.

Like you I coulden't understand how to line things up, how the hell is air to air refueling possible? Anyway I'll probably have to tell you what they told me ( I hope i'm right about this)

Deal with it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cybrid @ Aug. 10 2002,14:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The problem with jet aircraft is that they have almos no rudder control when they are at speed. I had a length discussion at a forum discussing Janes F/A18. They all thought I was crazy when I thought that you should be able to turn the plane with that, and I was seen as some kind of dinosaur, flying pre-1946 planes.

Like you I coulden't understand how to line things up, how the hell is air to air refueling possible? Anyway I'll probably have to tell you what they told me ( I hope i'm right about this)

Deal with it.<span id='postcolor'>

pre 1946 planes r the best it was when it was the pilot not the machine, todays aircraft these flyin computers its more the machine not the pilot.

While I agree with your sentiment, that's not totally true.

While there may not be as much as there was in propeller planes, there is still some rudder control ability at high speeds in jet propelled aircraft. I would think that it would be particularly noticeable in a slow one like the A-10.

Kermit, from what they told be it is normal to have have almos no rudder control at high speeds. You may see the plane nudge in the direction you are trying to go but thats about it.This is not enough to change your directional heading.

Rudder should be used to keep the front of the plane in line with the back when turning so you keep the turn nice and aerodynamically efficient. But I doubt this is simulated in Flashpoint.

Though rudder control is supported by Flashpoint. The heli's would be nasty beasts if it weren't!

u cant turn with rudder but its very essintial to make small moves, in ofp u have to roll the hole plane to move the nose a bit to the left rudders will do that, i play il2 sturmovik and the rudder is very very essential.

All I want is the ability to make that small nudge.  It's not like I steer with rudder in any of my games, nor do I use rudder excessively in real life.  In real life (and most flight combat sims), you just use the rudder to, as Sparky so nicely put, "keep the front of the plane in line with the back when turning" or, in combat, for small corrections. You do not use it to change your heading (just so you know I harbor no misconceptions about steering with rudder. If you steer with rudder, you will get a stall. Fast).  When I am shooting, usually I only need about a millimeter of correction to be hitting my target, and instead of rolling my plane, pulling up, and rolling back for a mere matter of millimeters, I like to "kick" the plane a tiny bit with the rudder.  That is possible at high speeds, and to acutally roll the plane for every aiming correction is nearly impossible, especially when flying a jet (you pass the target too fast).  Does anyone get what I am saying, or not really?

The planes in Ofp should be more joystick-friendly if fixed-wing flying in Ofp is ever going to take-off. Right now I'm getting no real air support ingame (except for helis which are useless with aa present).