Sign in to follow this  
Falc

Right tools for mission

One of the things that has me a bit annoyed is how unwieldy it is to try and get the right tools for a mission on a lander/rover.

Allow me to explain by way of example.

After my first rover broke down on the way to the Two Impact Craters mission in Victoria, I made a new rover with the same instruments but a High Quality chassis. Launched and did the missions, no sweat. Unlocked tech level 4, cool.

Ah, no new missions for my rover? Strange, let's disconnect and look at Victoria. Yes, I see new missions but for some reason, my current rover can't be assigned, a new Tech 4 rover is needed. No clue why, at that point I assume the pictures to be taken really need to be in color and not B/W.

My previous issues in mind, I rebuild the Tech 4 rover with a High Quality chassis, launch the rover, complete missions.

Again, no new missions available. I go back and now there's a new mission that my T4 rover can't do, but my old T3 one can? Wait what, do we need B/W pictures now? Or is it maybe that the EAS and EMS don't actually do the same things???

So, after this semi-ordeal, here are a few recommendations:

1) The mission detail should list EXACTLY which instruments will be needed for a mission, not just a generic icon and a vague description of needing to 'analyse a target'.

2) When building a rover/lander, you should be able to see a list of missions and their exact instrument requirements. Otherwise, you're just building something and then you need to go the map to see if you actually made something useful...

3) When going to the lab from the map, you can change everything about a rover/lander except the quality of the chassis. This is a pointless obstacle. Allow us to start something from scratch when coming from the map, or allow the chassis quality to be changed at any time in the lab. Preferably the latter, actually, since it means we can take your premade rovers and apply the updates we feel we need to ANY part of it.

4) I keep finding it strange that suddenly, a new mission for my T3 rover appears after I've had to launch the T4 one. I feel that either the mission should have been available before, or it should have been a T4 mission...

Good point Falc! I launched a Larger Rover to do a mission at Victoria Crater, i sent it and i had a minor mission not showing up because it didnt have an EMS-sensor on board.. so i had to send one of my smaller ones to complete the minor missions... this is why there should be a better Rover-instrument-panel in the mission tab. :)