Sign in to follow this  
Korneel

Arma 3 - Sneak Preview Livestream

This stream was recorded locally and uploaded after the fact was it not? No disrespect intended, but this explanation seems like it is either terribly misinformed, or blatantly false.

Not so much. Dxtory for example, if set up incorrectly, you can have silky smooth 3242341385134 fps ingame but the recorded video will be about 10.

Nice video. love the new UAV's. Seemed a bit choppy but am not concerned remembering how Agia Marina was in early Alpha all will be sorted in time an considering this is third ArmA release I've been thru I know what to expect. T minus 30 an counting 8)-

Not so much. Dxtory for example, if set up incorrectly, you can have silky smooth 3242341385134 fps ingame but the recorded video will be about 10.

Yeah but I doubt it would be intermittent and respondent to what's happening on screen vis-à-vis the game.

Altis looks GORGEOUS!!!

Everything else looked a bit disappointing... first, the sound of the howitzer-tank was very... weak!

Second, the Merkava. I didn't expect something like a trophy system but in this game it's just a normal tank with a passenger compartment and a high amount of hitpoints... and the effects and sounds of firing the main gun is also so damn weak.

Third, the jet doesn't look any better than the ArmA 2 ones, so I don't really understand why the F35 didn't make it in, since there seems to be nothing special about jets in ArmA 3.

And not to mention all the features that didn't make it into the final game...

The real town of Moudros seems a really good size, so they are clearly not going to portray that, with the small town there, maybe 35% of it, which if I'm honest is pretty small in comparison.

The Arma 3 Altis is about 75% of the size of Limnos. And towns are 75% of the real towns. You can see that clearly in the livestream where the editor map is shown. For example Arma 3 town Therisa near the small fictional airport is about 450 meters wide, while google maps shows the real town Tsimandria as about 600 meters wide. The biggest town Kavala/Mirina is also 75%/100%. So pretty big, and accurate. It shouldn't be any bigger.

Whilst the devs did seem to pick up on my question, by merging it with other post release dev branch questions, mine didn't get answered at all. Is there any chance someone could shed some light on this?

Same here... My question too was pretty much taken out of context and answered incorrectly, which I re-iterated later on. I'm thinking they should do a propper Q&A, and get someone that really understands english to help them with our questions to ask them right, and in a way they understand, I think because English isnt their primary language, they may find it hard to really understand the context of our wording and missinterperet it.

Same here... My question too was pretty much taken out of context and answered incorrectly, which I re-iterated later on. I'm thinking they should do a propper Q&A, and get someone that really understands english to help them with our questions to ask them right, and in a way they understand, I think because English isnt their primary language, they may find it hard to really understand the context of our wording and missinterperet it.

I would also love to see a real Q&A session. Maybe even specifically collect questions on the forum and answer them in a SITREP, "off-line" to keep the background noise to a minimum

Mind you, we're already getting an upcoming SITREP... I just admittedly don't expect an actual Q&A. (Disclosure: I would in their shoes admittedly not solicit a community Q&A, much less do one.)

Why we didn't see the waypoint system for the UAVs, what I saw was just a RC control quadrocopter.

I must admit, I'm disappointed from what I saw. The only good thing was Altis.

I really hope to see more and have more answer at Gamescom this year.

The Arma 3 Altis is about 75% of the size of Limnos. And towns are 75% of the real towns. You can see that clearly in the livestream where the editor map is shown. For example Arma 3 town Therisa near the small fictional airport is about 450 meters wide, while google maps shows the real town Tsimandria as about 600 meters wide. The biggest town Kavala/Mirina is also 75%/100%. So pretty big, and accurate. It shouldn't be any bigger.

In the live-stream video they flew the heli across to Moudros (real name), if I'm not mistaken. Google Moudros, then look at the video, its nowhere near 75%, around 35-40% maybe, could be smaller than that. That's if it was Moudros, must say it matches the layout near the harbour.

That's if it was Moudros, must say it matches the layout near the harbour.

It is Moudros, and the town area is about 75% of the real town.

The amount of houses are of course less than in the real Moudros, because those are not scaled down to 75%.

The town area in real Moudros is only about 700 meters from north to west. In Arma 3, it is just over 500 meters.

Very dissapointed by the slammer... You took a unique tank (passanger space, trophy, internal mortar, ATGM lahat and great armor) and made it just a tank... Without the machine guns on top too.. If you wanted a tank to simply be a good normal tank you should have taken theLeclerc or the Leopard 2... Good tanks but not that unique...

Hope something will be done to make it a bit more interesting... Also the T-100... I dont know what it can do... Seems like another normal tank

There is nothing unique in Merkava/Slammer. In reality Merkava do not have passenger space (it is a myth based on lack of any knowledge about this tank), in fact the rear of hull when people think would be space for troops, is used to store 90% of main gun ammo, if you want to take passengers there you need to reduce main gun ammo quantity, and dismounts do not have any comfortable seats there, they sit on hull bottom plate which is neither safe, neither comfortable. Internal mortar is also nothing special, LAHAT ATGM is also nothing special or unique. Merkava also do not have better protection than other tanks, and Trophy active protection system is also nothing special as any tank can be retrofitted with the same system or other system which is currently avaiable on market.

And T-100 is just BIS version of the Russian technology demonstrator Object 640 designed by Omsk KBTM design bureu, which is nothing else than modernized and lenghtened T-80U hull with new turret.

So yeah, they are normal tanks just like in our reality.

I really hope the firing sound for the Nato SPG and the Slammer is changed.

It is Moudros, and the town area is about 75% of the real town.

The amount of houses are of course less than in the real Moudros, because those are not scaled down to 75%.

The town area in real Moudros is only about 700 meters from north to west. In Arma 3, it is just over 500 meters.

Maybe we’re getting our wires crossed, I said size, maybe I should have said content. If I placed out a city, putting houses at all outer reaches NWSE, but filled it with little content then that is not really a city as such. The content we see is mainly harbour only, the outer are suburbs (not even that really), it may have a footprint the same if taking into account the outer reach buildings, but in reality its a lot less, there's nothing much inland.

Moudros

(at 13mins pause, compare).

Just how I see it..

Altis looks disappointing. Another empty desert, more like Takistan 2.0 if anything. Meh.

A whole island made for overpowered ArmA snipers. With Arma3 zeroing and lack of wind you either ban sniper rifles from the mission or have your mission ruined.

Internal mortar is also nothing special, LAHAT ATGM is also nothing special or unique. Merkava also do not have better protection than other tanks, and Trophy active protection system is also nothing special as any tank can be retrofitted with the same system or other system which is currently avaiable on market.

Except seems that Merkava in ArmA3 has none of that.

metalcrze, I don't think Demian was sarcastic. And yet, what's the point in having future tanks if they don't utilize anything "special" whether it is an attached system or not.

There is nothing unique in Merkava/Slammer. In reality Merkava do not have passenger space (it is a myth based on lack of any knowledge about this tank), in fact the rear of hull when people think would be space for troops, is used to store 90% of main gun ammo, if you want to take passengers there you need to reduce main gun ammo quantity, and dismounts do not have any comfortable seats there, they sit on hull bottom plate which is neither safe, neither comfortable. Internal mortar is also nothing special, LAHAT ATGM is also nothing special or unique. Merkava also do not have better protection than other tanks, and Trophy active protection system is also nothing special as any tank can be retrofitted with the same system or other system which is currently avaiable on market.

And T-100 is just BIS version of the Russian technology demonstrator Object 640 designed by Omsk KBTM design bureu, which is nothing else than modernized and lenghtened T-80U hull with new turret.

So yeah, they are normal tanks just like in our reality.

The merkava can carry 1 passenger for every 9 shells removed, although I don't know if there are seats, but you can safely place a stretcher there. There's a variation of the merkava which acts as an ambulance, and has medical equipment at the cost of ammunition.

I haven't seen/heard about any non-Israeli tanks that have an internal mortar, the Merkava Mk4 has an internal mortar that can fire HE, illumination and smoke rounds.

The LAHAT ATGM can be locked onto targets lased by the tank itself or another source(another tank, helicopter, JTAC or UAV), and it has a range of 8km. It's fired from the smoothbore cannon and stored like any shell.

Even if the mortar/ATGM is not special, it should still be featured in the game since it would allow for interesting gameplay. The OPFOR tank could also have an ATGM(9M119 Svir)

The merkava itself may be somewhat vulnerable, but it has great crew protection since it's engine is located in the front, shielding the crew from frontal impacts. (However, they are vulnerable from the rear, especially through the rear door). The crew can easily escape from the rear door if the tank is immobilized. (So basically it sacrifices tank survivability for crew survivability)

The trophy APS system is optional but I think BIS should have included a variation of the tank with APS. For balance, the T-100 should also have a version with the Arena APS. APS for both tanks would make them balanced against eachother, but increase their survivability from infantry and air units. (Which is very needed, especially because of how many guided missile platforms there are in the game)

I think it's a real shame that BIS oversimplifies vehicles and missiles in the game. I hope that someone will make a mod like Mando missile, that would be perfect.

Edited by NMDANNY

Altis looks disappointing. Another empty desert, more like Takistan 2.0 if anything. Meh.

I think the parts they showed where a bit flat, but as far as I can remember, there's some mountainous terrain in the north west of Altis.

I do miss large forests, though, and I don't mean the Mediterranean light forest, but rather the dense, Chernorussian forests... I fear those are absent from Altis, which is really a shame :(

Edited by Varanon
North-west of Altis

So regardless of everything else, pretty much everyone is looking forward to the new terrain. But even this is a point for you to complain about.

You seem to have a very negative outlook.

It's obvious this game is going to suck for you, makes me wonder why your even still bothering with it. If a game I was interested in turned out to be such an abysmal failure that Arma3 seems to be for you, I would have been gone long ago. Is there anything you are looking forward to?

I have a sneaking suspicion, after this post, that you are just posting sensational complaints to stir the pot and cause a reaction...There is another term for that isn't there?

Edited by -=seany=-

the only thing I was missing last night was the equipment tab when you place a unit. The rest looked quite good. Altis is awesome.

Mind you, we're already getting an upcoming SITREP... I just admittedly don't expect an actual Q&A. (Disclosure: I would in their shoes admittedly not solicit a community Q&A, much less do one.)

almost every serious question was met with "we'll speak on that next week", "maybe, but no promises", etc

is does make you wonder why even bother with a Q&A if you're not gonna be able to answer any questions

---------- Post added at 09:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------

the only thing I was missing last night was the equipment tab when you place a unit. The rest looked quite good. Altis is awesome.

it was asked about in the Q&A. the answer was something along the lines of "that's one of the most requested features, but it'll take some work. no promises..."

i got told that it was being put into the game even the tickets on the tracker was resolved.

almost every serious question was met with "we'll speak on that next week", "maybe, but no promises", etc

is does make you wonder why even bother with a Q&A if you're not gonna be able to answer any questions

---------- Post added at 09:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 ----------

it was asked about in the Q&A. the answer was something along the lines of "that's one of the most requested features, but it'll take some work. no promises..."

Would you rather not have it answered at all and be left wondering?

Would you rather not have it answered at all and be left wondering?

I could argue that's more or less what happened

the thing is, after the announcement about the campaign not being finished at launch, there were a great deal of questions about what content would be available at launch, and when and if stuff would come later. I don't think they should have attempted a Q&A until they were ready to answer those questions