rebelvg

GCam (Let's fix this great mod)

Mod - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10390

Fixed mod - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23298

I did some tests and noticed some strange things. So I thought maybe I should share this info on this forum. I made a video that shows what I'm talking about.

First thing I need to say is - I'm not a native English speaker so my English is not that very good, and second is - I'm not good at arma scripting at all, I know some basics and understand the logic of programing and scripting language but I can't write something myself.

1. If you cap ingame fps to something stable like 30 fps via any dx hook program (I use dxtory) you can see some stability on this stuttering, so I thought this caused by refresh rate of calculating next camera position.

So I looked into the code I saw this.

_w = accTime / (diag_fps * 2);
sleep _w;

Diag_fps - Returns average framerate calculated over last 16 frames. So that's why there is some stability in this.

2. Follow mode is not broken for all arma activities. Strange thing is that you can follow any helicopter (A2 and A3) without a problem (as shown on video), and almost any A3 vehicle, but you got problems on any infantry unit or A2 vehicles. As you can see on video - refresh rate for infantry units is - 1/3, so, out of 30 fps camera position updates only 10 times. That's why 10 fps video seems like not having a follow lag, that's because 10 fps matches camera position update rate. And for A2 vehicles refresh rate is - 1/2, so it updates only 15 times during 1 second of 30 frames. That's strange. Why is there difference in update rates for vehicles or units? I didn't find an answer in the code, it's too complex, maybe someone else can.

3. As we all know this mod stopped working correctly after 1.60 patch for arma 2. So, what exactly was changed that could cause this problem? Maybe something new in sleep command or in any camera command, like set pos or anything, I don't know.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated. Maybe some recommendations on other mods like this, I didn't find any.

Edited by rebelvg

Does Gigan know your fixing his mod?

I don't know, I think he doesn't know. Someone from this forum tried to contact him but no luck, last time he logged on this forum was more than a year ago.

I'm just trying to figure out why this happening (maybe find out some flaw in arma scripts or something like that), I'm not going to make my own mod based on this mod, I'm only with good intentions to help the community, because this mod is really great.

if you look at gigans youtube he is helping out people who want to try and fix the script/mod so i gues his ok with it but this needs fixing ever since patch 160 for a2 this and director stopped working

i gues the only way to fix it is to know what exatly has been changen in the patch

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

the problem stops if you use unit capture then the camera acts normal wheb the ai replays the moves recorded

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Mod - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10390

3. As we all know this mod stopped working correctly after 1.60 patch for arma 2. So, what exactly was changed that could cause this problem? Maybe something new in sleep command or in any camera command, like set pos or anything, I don't know.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated. Maybe some recommendations on other mods like this, I didn't find any.

The problem is caused by a change in position interpolation in Arma2. Whereas getPosASL and getPosATL didn't exhibit stuttering before, they do since the interpolation change. The smooth positions are now available as visiblePositionASL and visiblePosition respectively.

If Gigan were to perform this (trivial) replacement, his great tool would work fine with the latest Arma2 versions and almost fine Arma3.

William

The problem is caused by a change in position interpolation in Arma2. Whereas getPosASL and getPosATL didn't exhibit stuttering before, they do since the interpolation change. The smooth positions are now available as visiblePositionASL and visiblePosition respectively.

If Gigan were to perform this (trivial) replacement, his great tool would work fine with the latest Arma2 versions and almost fine Arma3.

William

OH MAN, THANK YOU SO MUCH! THIS FIXED IT! I love arma and this community!

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Also, works in arma 3 almost flawlessly.

Thank you for for taking the time let's see if it works

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

OH MAN, THANK YOU SO MUCH! THIS FIXED IT! I love arma and this community!

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Also, works in arma 3 almost flawlessly.

what did you exatly do i replaced the getposasl and getposatl im still getting the stuttering

here is the edited script

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9396191/gcam.sqf

Edited by pressytcn

You missed something. I sent you a PM.

That's great we finally found a solution.

Thanks for fixing this guys and thanks for letting me know via PM. This is my favorite camera tool. Excellent news!

Hey guys, thanks again for everyone that helped fix GCAM. Here is a video that is the fruit of your labor. My first Arma 3 short film. I made several in Arma 2 with GCAM and really love this tool:

fantastic! can I be PM'd the code for this? My scores would really benefit from visuals!

This is a lot smoother, but it doesn't work underwater. I think the problem is with visiblePosition vs. visiblePositionASL when the camera position is underwater=true. But that's just a guess. When underwater, if Behind Mode is on, the forward and backward controls of the camera don't respond and neither to the up and down controls. When Behind Mode is off, only the up and down controls are screwed up. In any mode, if underwater, the camera sticks to the sea floor.

I looked at the code to see if I could find an easy fix, but there aren't any comments and I can't figure out what's going on.

Edited by Feint

I have been using the 'updated' version of this mod for about 1 month now. Only recently has the camera stuttering been starting to occur. I have been using UnitCapture and UnitPlay and then GCAM to play back helicopter landings in the editor. But now, I cannot follow the helicopter without experiencing juddering and stuttering when in the 'Follow' mode on GCAM. I've looked through the thread, and where people have described possible fixes for the mod:

"Whereas getPosASL and getPosATL didn't exhibit stuttering before, they do since the interpolation change. The smooth positions are now available as visiblePositionASL and visiblePosition respectively. "

I for one wouldn't know where to start to implement this fix into Gigan's mod. I'd assume you need a .pbo unpacker and some sort of coding/programming knowledge: both of which I don't have.

Are there any updates on fixes for this mod, because it really is excellent for cinematics, and I'd hate to see it die away.

Hi guys. I tried installing GCAM arma 3 but i am not able to make it work. I have no option to access GCAM.

Any idea?

i am running the last build of the Game. Running @CBA & @GCAM

Help would be appreciated. Cheers

Does anyone else experience lag and or know how to fix it as previously stated?

When in the follow mode it lags yet when I press escape to exit, before I click okay to exit GCAM it is not laggy. Pretty odd...

I have read there are problems with GCAM and CBA for Arma 3? I did a quick test and confirmed that when I disabled @CBA_A3 the GCam mod worked. Is there a work around for this?

I have read there are problems with GCAM and CBA for Arma 3? I did a quick test and confirmed that when I disabled @CBA_A3 the GCam mod worked. Is there a work around for this?

Damn, I was hoping that this would be fixed by now. I have a machinima I need to make and GCam was recommended by Dslyecxi, so I wanted to use that. Guess I'm out of luck if I want to use most popular mods? :(

I use CBA A3 and GCam works fine. Some recent work I did for my milsim community using GCam. The conflict I've recently encountered, however, is with the TF47 Launchers mod by Blackpixxel. For reasons I cannot fathom, whenever the TF47 mod (August 2015 update forward) is activated, there is no longer an addAction menu option for GCam. Take out the TF47 mod or replace with a version from before August 2015 and GCam works again. I used the older version trick until this week, when TF47 launchers were integrated into RHS Escalation. My community uses up to date RHS as a baseline, so I can't just take it out. I've narrowed it down to "rhsusf_c_weapons.pbo", but that doesn't help much, since it contains weapon data for more than just TF47 launchers. If anyone knows the code, I'd love to hear an educated guess about why these two don't play well together. I asked in the TF47 mod thread, of course, but haven't heard back yet. I love GCam and want to keep using it!

Yup - being able to run RHS and GCam is a must for me as well. Hopefully someone with enough xp on the matter can do some magic and bring GCam up-and-running )

it's because SMAW spoting rifle use UserActions (which is kind of bad and maybe it will get fix if we find to script it other way) and so is GCcam

an interim solution is to edit

class Man;
    class CAManBase: Man
    {
        class UserActions
        {

into

class Land;
    class Man : Land
    {
        class UserActions;
    };
    class CAManBase: Man
    {
        class UserActions: UserActions
        { 

in rhsusf_c_weapons

Got some free time this morning and went through an unpacked PBO of 'rhsusf_c_weapons' but I can't find this code in any of the files. Would you be willing to provide some additional detail on where I can edit these lines?

Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I made a copy of the pbo 'rhsusf_c_weapons' and then used Eliteness to DePBO it so I could edit the file. The resulting file structure looks like this:

6i61VFh.jpg

Then I used Notepad to go through each file in the directory and did a search for the suggested lines of code. I am going to hate myself if I missed something simple. Apologies again for the newb-ness and thanks in advance for any help.