KingScuba

Flight School 101 - Basic Helicopter Guide

Hello all, I've begun making a helicopter guide to cover the ins and outs of arma. Generally speaking, you can take everything in my guide and shift to other simulators, obviously you'll have to learn a few more things though.

The Goal of this guide

This guide is meant to be a comprehensive look at all aspects of flying a rotary vehicle in Arma 3. This guide is made to take a completely new ARMA player from ignorance to competence ASAP. This guide delves into Arma footsoldier basics, such as being able to read your compass, map, and diving all the way into every common maneuver and radio speak you should expect to use in this game. I've tried my best to keep it short and simple, but each video is about 1 hour long. I have included times for each chapter and maneuver inside of my videos, so just expand the information and you should be able to navigate easily.

Here's the video guide. Video 1 is vocal information for Part 1 of the written guide, Part 2 is actual Demonstration and tips, Part 3 is a few practice routes for you.

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Here is my written guide so far. As of 8/28, 101 is finished, and both parts are updated.

Part 1 - http://scuba356.deviantart.com/art/Flight-School-101-Rotory-Part-1-397033633 (Section I and II)

Part 2 - http://scuba356.deviantart.com/art/Flight-School-101-Rotory-Part-2-396574066 (Section III to V)

Here is my guide in steam workshop

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=167631239

Hell Heli : http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19906

Any and all suggestions/feedback is welcome, Whether it's something I missed, something you think is wrong, or just something you think can be reworded better.

Table of contents for Flight School 101

I. Introduction and Table of Contents

II. Know your Helicopter

-- How To Read Your Compass

-- How To Read Your Watch

---- Arma uses a correct Star Map

-- How To Read and use your map

-- How To Read Your GPS

-- Terms to Know

-- Chat and VOIP

-- Smoke Grenades and Pilots

-- The Differences Between Various Helicopters

-- Helicopter Parts

-- Setting Up Your Configuration

-- Understanding Your HUD

-- Understanding Your Instruments

-- Equipment For Flying

---- Your Computer

---- Monitors

---- Keyboard and Mouse

---- Microphone

---- Controller

---- Joystick

---- Pedal

---- TrackIR

---- TrackNoIR

-- Radio Communications

---- Radio Commands

---- Radio Check

---- Phonetic Alphabet

---- How to talk over radio

---- Additional Terms to know

III. Know how to Fly your Helicopter

-- Pre TakeOff

-- Cyclic

-- Collective

-- Pedals

-- Acceleration

-- Deceleration

-- Maximum Rates of Accel and Deceleration

-- Autohover (and why I despise it)

-- Courtesy to fellow pilots

IV. Basic Maneuvers

-- Takeoff

---- Helicopter Style Takeoff

---- Airplane Style Takeoff

---- Reverse Takeoff

-- Cruising

-- Banking

-- Hovering

-- Dive

-- Climb

-- Various Landings

---- Approach

---- Selecting a LZ

---- A Note About Soft Landing

---- Helicopter Style Landing

---- Airplane Style Landing

---- Front Flare Landing

---- Side Flare Landing

---- Reverse Flare Landing

---- Banking Landing

---- Pinnacle Landing

---- Congested Landing

---- Slope Landing

---- Landing Blind

-- Hover Pick ups + Drop Offs

-- NOE Flight

-- Orbit

-- Funnel Manuever

-- Emergency Landings

-- Anti Torque Loss

-- Auto Rotation

V. Planning your Flight Path

-- Utilizing Intel

-- Setting up your LZ

-- Planning your Ingress

-- Planning Egress

-- Execution and last minute tweaks

VI. Ways to Practice

-- Downloading Maps + Missions

-- Utilizing Hangers

-- Precision Landing

-- Flare

-- Pinnacle Landings

-- Congested Landings

-- NOE Flying

Special thanks to :

Dr. Strangepete - Making hell Heli and allowing me to publicize it in my guide

Rye - Informing me of the term Helocast, and suggesting to add in hover inserts/extracts

Flintlocke - Telling me the difference between chaffe and flares, as well as a few other minor issues in the guide

Edited by KingScuba

Initial thoughts, way too long intro with you just twitching around in game. Game sounds are way too loud and your voice level is too low. (Second video was muuuch better with this regard) Trying to look at helicopters while your camera flicks around and the footsteps overpower your speaking was just disorienting. :) Some level of video editing would be nice. Like a zoom view of the compass or highlights on the dials you're describing. Maybe keynotes as text on the screen as you explain things.

Video was small enough that I was able to skip around a lot without rage inducing buffering, but I'd still chop it up into smaller segments. Five 10 minute videos instead of one 50 minute for example. That way if people want a specific concept they can watch the video rather than load and wait and skip to try to find it.

Pretty good stuff.

Initial thoughts, way too long intro with you just twitching around in game. Game sounds are way too loud and your voice level is too low. (Second video was muuuch better with this regard) Trying to look at helicopters while your camera flicks around and the footsteps overpower your speaking was just disorienting. :) Some level of video editing would be nice. Like a zoom view of the compass or highlights on the dials you're describing. Maybe keynotes as text on the screen as you explain things.

Video was small enough that I was able to skip around a lot without rage inducing buffering, but I'd still chop it up into smaller segments. Five 10 minute videos instead of one 50 minute for example. That way if people want a specific concept they can watch the video rather than load and wait and skip to try to find it.

Pretty good stuff.

I have no video editing skills at all, I was taking a look at making a text guide and eliminating the first video though. Any recs on good free software?

Edited by KingScuba

Pretty good stuff.

Video length is not a problem, but not having reference points is. If you include in the description the times of the different sections of the video it is easier to skip to desired points. Just put in you description the times(e.g 10:03) and then a description of the section (basic controls, options, helo types and so on), Youtube will add the links to the correct time in the video. That way people can skip unnecessary parts.

I'll watch the videos later. I just took a peek at the first one.

The consumer line of Sony Vegas products is pretty good. For $40 you can pick up Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11. It's a rather powerful and fully featured video editing suite, and at a heck of a sale price right now. Sony Movie Studio is a slightly less featured product too but only $23.

Both would allow you to add in special effects, text, transitions and the like. Here's a few examples of the kind of text/effects you can get with these products:

and

Video length is not a problem, but not having reference points is. If you include in the description the times of the different sections of the video it is easier to skip to desired points. Just put in you description the times(e.g 10:03) and then a description of the section (basic controls, options, helo types and so on), Youtube will add the links to the correct time in the video. That way people can skip unnecessary parts.

I'll watch the videos later. I just took a peek at the first one.

i think i can do that real quick. I'm going to redo the 1st and 2nd video though. You're right on the 1st video, very distracting and low voice.

In the 2nd one, I just need to switch some stuff around and explain a few things better.

I'm also working on a written guide since I'm bored. here's a screenshot of the layout so far

Right now, its in photoshop and will be a PNG. I'm not too sure on how to make it a pdf in the layouts I want.

Edited by KingScuba

ive been putzing off with a text guide, and am planning on redoing the 1st and 2nd video today.

Nice videos. Enjoyed them. :)

Just a quick update. I've finished part 1 of my guide. The rest will be quite a bit damn easier and less mind numbing as I try to figure out how to do it... This is probably 10 or 15 hours of work so far, 2 of it trying to remember how to use photoshop. ~~"

Fast Update, I fixed some things in part 1, and have revised the radio ops.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/236/e/1/flight_school_part_1_by_scuba356-d6jlolp.png

Edited by KingScuba

Just a quick update. I've finished part 1 of my guide. The rest will be quite a bit damn easier and less mind numbing as I try to figure out how to do it... This is probably 10 or 15 hours of work so far, 2 of it trying to remember how to use photoshop. ~~"

Fast Update, I fixed some things in part 1, and have revised the radio ops.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/236/e/1/flight_school_part_1_by_scuba356-d6jlolp.png

I noticed you are using the Logitech extreme 3D, could you release a profile thing or something like that so i can use your exact setup as your the pro here as I literally just noticed this post after ordering the joystick? Also what foot pedals are you using?

---------- Post added at 03:34 ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 ----------

Also I would say the Comanche/AH-99 Blackfoot is more of a Scout helicopter and attack helicopter hybrid meaning techniques for both should apply to it depending on the mission and situation.

I actually just use the standard configuration for my joystick. I do NOT use my slider. I use my keyboard for my collective. After that, it's just setting your thumb buttons to whatever is comfortable for you. I have optics, change weapons, manual fire, and next target binded to the top 4 buttons personally.

Also I would say the Comanche/AH-99 Blackfoot is more of a Scout helicopter and attack helicopter hybrid meaning techniques for both should apply to it depending on the mission and situation.

This would fall under a helicopters ROLE, not a helicopters TYPE. In this guide, I make no mention on how you should use a helicopter, just how you should classify. How you use a helicopter is under the mission type, tactical brain in charge, and pilots discretion. The helicopters you mentioned are armed, so they count as gunships by my definition. The main reason I call them gunships is so that when you report a 3D, you can quickly tell everyone "OH SHIT, ITS GOT A GUN" by saying "Gunship", instead of saying "Helicopter", which isn't as dangerous.

Update :

I've finished part 2 of my guide. I've also updated Part 1, but it's minor and I haven't reuploaded it.

Part 1.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/238/e/a/flightschoolpart1_by_scuba356-d6jrug7.png

Part 2

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/238/0/8/flightschoolpart2_by_scuba356-d6jru8c.png

I also just noticed that part 1 was small and hard as hell to read, that was a screw up on my part. It's fixed now.

Edited by KingScuba

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Pro-Flight-Rudder-Pedals/dp/B000H67DDY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377577537&sr=8-2&keywords=rudder+pedals

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Flight-Cessna-CES432070002-02/dp/B0058FADEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377577537&sr=8-1&keywords=rudder+pedals

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Flight-Combat-Rudder-Pedals/dp/B004ING996/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1377577537&sr=8-4&keywords=rudder+pedals

one of those 3. If I were you, I'd look around for refurbished. You can also get away with using a racing wheel pedal set. I have a G27 racing wheel, and the pedals mapped in just fine. If you use a racing wheel set which can actually save you money or get you a bit more (a g27 costs a bit more than pedals, but you can get another racing wheel/pedals for 40 usd.), you'll end up using your ankles more than anything.

The rudder pedals move by pushing your feet forward and backwards and work like a lever. Racing wheel gas pedals work independently, and focus more on your ankles, unless you rig it upside down.

Edited by KingScuba

Flight School 101 written guide is finished. I'll be updated my videos soon, and begin working on Flight School 102, which will focus on gunships, flying larger helicopters, and advanced skills (such as landing blind).

Edited by KingScuba

Ok, my voice hurts, but my 1st video is updated now. I somehow managed to extend it by a full hour, so it's almost a 2 hour video of me droning on.

I DID however, make sure to add in video times so you can flip through my droning.

Great videos, this is sure to help a lot of people.

Reading the guide at the moment, seems pretty good but there's one glaring mistake that I can't let go xD.

"Countermeasure flares: Shrapnel fired from the rear of the aircraft to avoid laser guided AA ordinance."

Wow, It's hard to know where to start with this.

For one, you're describing chaff rather than flares, chaff are shreds of metal that have a high radar signature to defeat radar guided long range AA missiles, not really modelled in ARMA 3 afaik.

Flares are actual flares popped from flare dispensers, not necessarily in the back of the aircraft, these will have a high heat signature to give you a chance at evading heat-seeking missiles such as most MANPADs fire and Sidewinders, when combined with the right aerial manouveurs(sp?) of course.

There is no countermeasure to laser guided AA systems, luckily these are also pretty rare and not in ARMA 3 as far as I know, it's very hard to keep a laser on a fast-moving air target, especially combined with missile dodging aerobatics.

Just my 2 cents.

Update :

I've finished part 2 of my guide. I've also updated Part 1, but it's minor and I haven't reuploaded it.

Part 1.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/238/e/a/flightschoolpart1_by_scuba356-d6jrug7.png

Part 2

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/238/0/8/flightschoolpart2_by_scuba356-d6jru8c.png

I also just noticed that part 1 was small and hard as hell to read, that was a screw up on my part. It's fixed now.

Hi,

It seems the link to Part 2 isn't working. I think I managed to find it by searching here though http://www.deviantart.com/art/Flight-School-101-Rotory-Part-2-396574066

Reading the guide at the moment, seems pretty good but there's one glaring mistake that I can't let go xD.

"Countermeasure flares: Shrapnel fired from the rear of the aircraft to avoid laser guided AA ordinance."

Wow, It's hard to know where to start with this.

For one, you're describing chaff rather than flares, chaff are shreds of metal that have a high radar signature to defeat radar guided long range AA missiles, not really modelled in ARMA 3 afaik.

Flares are actual flares popped from flare dispensers, not necessarily in the back of the aircraft, these will have a high heat signature to give you a chance at evading heat-seeking missiles such as most MANPADs fire and Sidewinders, when combined with the right aerial manouveurs(sp?) of course.

There is no countermeasure to laser guided AA systems, luckily these are also pretty rare and not in ARMA 3 as far as I know, it's very hard to keep a laser on a fast-moving air target, especially combined with missile dodging aerobatics.

Just my 2 cents.

Huh, guess my understanding was wrong. I'll edit that in, both chaff and flares.

Btw, the titan launcher is a player guided missile launcher. you can lead it in yourself quite nicely if you know how.

Hi,

It seems the link to Part 2 isn't working. I think I managed to find it by searching here though http://www.deviantart.com/art/Flight-School-101-Rotory-Part-2-396574066

Both of the links are working fine for me... dunno..

I'm re doing part 2 right now.

Huh, guess my understanding was wrong. I'll edit that in, both chaff and flares.

Btw, the titan launcher is a player guided missile launcher. you can lead it in yourself quite nicely if you know how.

Didn't know about the player guided Titan, my experiences in Arma are fairly new. most of what I know about flying is from DCS: A10c and other DCS modules.

But the lock-on function on the titan as far as I have seen seems to be thermal guided as it can be defeated by flares.

As far as the rest of the guide, it's very helpful, learning a few new things myself. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

The Titan can be guided or hand guided. If you take the time to lock it, it's fire and forget. If you fire it without a lock, it's laser guided.

Makes me feel pretty happy that if an A10 guy is only yelling about one term then I must be doing something right.

BTW, am I correct about all my gauges? That's the only thing I'm not 100% sure on, the way I labeled them.

Just did a double take on your gauges, here goes:

Airspeed gauge: Knots on the outer ring, inner ring is Miles per hour, take a quick peek at this conversion table. http://www.disastercenter.com/convert.htm

Also might want to note this is indicated airspeed, not true ground speed (not sure if accurately modeled in the game).

Altitude gauge: You might want to clarify that the long hand indicates hundreds of feet, and the short hand thousands, for example long hand is at 2, short hand is at 3 indicated 3200 feet above sea level.

Vertical speed gauge: Also, marked in Hundreds of feet per minute, you know this and it is marked on the gauge but probably better to clarify for novice pilots.

Ok now what you have marked as number 4, engine RPM gauge is in fact the main rotor RPM gauge (Inner ring in thousands of RPM absolute, outer ring in percentage). and your main rotor RPM gauge is your engine RPM (In Percent) :P

Not entirely sure what the little mini gauge is inside the engine RPM though, maybe something to do with throttle? I have noticed it responds pretty directly in line with collective changes.

Lastly, you spelled all gauges "Guage" in the guide.

Basically minor and aesthetic things, I have no faith that BI managed to model most of these gauges properly anyway, but if modelled properly that distinction between main rotor RPM and engine RPM is a life saver or killer during autorotation :P.

Just did a double take on your gauges, here goes:

Airspeed gauge: Knots on the outer ring, inner ring is Miles per hour, take a quick peek at this conversion table. http://www.disastercenter.com/convert.htm

Also might want to note this is indicated airspeed, not true ground speed (not sure if accurately modeled in the game).

Altitude gauge: You might want to clarify that the long hand indicates hundreds of feet, and the short hand thousands, for example long hand is at 2, short hand is at 3 indicated 3200 feet above sea level.

Vertical speed gauge: Also, marked in Hundreds of feet per minute, you know this and it is marked on the gauge but probably better to clarify for novice pilots.

Ok now what you have marked as number 4, engine RPM gauge is in fact the main rotor RPM gauge (Inner ring in thousands of RPM absolute, outer ring in percentage). and your main rotor RPM gauge is your engine RPM (In Percent) :P

Not entirely sure what the little mini gauge is inside the engine RPM though, maybe something to do with throttle? I have noticed it responds pretty directly in line with collective changes.

Lastly, you spelled all gauges "Guage" in the guide.

Basically minor and aesthetic things, I have no faith that BI managed to model most of these gauges properly anyway, but if modelled properly that distinction between main rotor RPM and engine RPM is a life saver or killer during autorotation :P.

ah thank you, something to edit in the near future then.

Don't know why, but i really enjoy spelling gauge as guage.... ~~"