Sign in to follow this  
species1571

Question for devs / other modders

I am getting some strange issue where I make an edit to a script (ccgame.c), and it will cause the game to hang on a black screen when loading into a game, even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with the edit. Other times, the game will load and immediately crash on a line that has nothing to do with the edit I have made, usually it reports crashing on one of these lines:

if(campaign && campaign.TutorialHighlight != TH_HIGHLIGHT_NONE)

or

SolveCheating();

When I replace the edited line with something completely harmless, like

variable++;

the problem still happens. Deleting that line completely makes the problem go away, but no matter what edit I make, it causes the problem to happen. Other edits I have made, the edited script has not been used and the default one has been used instead, even though the filesystem.log file says the file was loaded from the mod's folder.

Has anyone else seen this kind of problem, or offer a solution, as this has had me scratching my head for two days now and is really stopping me in my tracks at the moment.

Is the problem isolated to one modded file? I'll have a look at it if you want.

Thanks. I think I see what's going on. There must be some physical limit to the number of executable lines in a script. I noticed that it doesn't matter what my edit contains, and it also doesn't matter where in the script I move those lines to, the problem still happens. But if I remove, or comment out some other lines from anywhere else in the script, it works properly as expected. So it seems that the content of the edit is not the problem, just that the script has exceeded some maximum limit. Not really sure how to get around this, either.

What happens if you join several lines together by removing linefeeds? Does that count for the line limit?

I'm not sure. For now, I was able to remove enough and simplify some to give me some breathing space. If it happens again, I'll give that a try. Cheers.

Unfortunately I am now experiencing this problem again. Up until now, I have been able to work around this problem by moving a lot of my code out of the main script files and into a separate #include file, but now I am again at the stage where adding any more code causes the game to crash at launch. I have tried splitting the file into two parts, but it still happens. It also doesn't matter which of the script files I add to, if I add something to one script I have to remove something from another, so it seems to be a physical size limit to the files that the game will load, and this is going to prevent further progress on my mod.

Pity there has been no reply to this as it means that support for the only active mod for your game will probably end with the next update.

Pity there has been no reply to this as it means that support for the only active mod for your game will probably end with the next update.

Unfortunately Species, I would not hold your breath.

It would seem to me that they stopped working on this game a long time ago, and didn't tell anybody. I just think this is the worst customer relations ever, and I will never pay a penny for a BI game ever again as they clearly don't care.

What's interesting is I've been playing a game called X Rebirth lately, which started off an absolut disaster just like carrier command, if not worse (if that's possible). But they actually issued apologies for the state of the game at launch, and they're still working on it and it gets better with each release. I've even been given a free DLC pack / expansion, for buying the game when I did.

It's a shame BI didn't take this attitude and right all the wrongs, but even the game engine itself is in such a poor condition that I guess even BI know it would be uneconomical to put it right, so they just stopped all work on it and hoped no one would notice.

Even the link for their latest patch of this game hasn't worked in months, how stupid can a group of people get?! lol.

Thanks for the modding that you done though, your mod made the game from unbearable, to playable for the short term.

I would like to finish off by reminding people to read this thread I made a while back:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?145659-Finished-Campaign-and-Strategy-mode-now-here-s-my-%28LARGE%29-bugs-list

if you live in the EU, i'm pretty sure you could still press for a refund. The fact that BI state they don't offer refunds for game bugs (as one person said in this forum when they sent BI an email), is very much against the law in the European Union.